Jets sign WR Keelan Cole

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 18, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That's great that you can pull stats off of ESPN or Pro Football Reference and claim that they're basically the same player. Those stats provide next to no context. How about you actually watch Keelan Cole and Berrios play?

Almost all of Berrios's production came from catching stupid little screen passes that offensive guru Adam Gase insisted on running. His average catch was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, Cole's is over 8.

Also, Cole played with fucking MIKE GLENNON and JAKE LUTON. Just stop dude.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Like it. Making under the radar selections to fit La’ Fleur’s offense. Get one more WR with a draft pick, may be even replace Crowder with JuJu and we have a receiving group to compete. Bottom of the WR roster gets purged and we have depth. On to a no kidding pass action game plan where Davis excels.

5. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

All better qbs than Sam.... Not all but

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The word I think of when I see Cole play is smooth. He's 6'1" 195 pounds and runs a 4.6. He has to be technically sound running routes and using the niche advantages he can find when trying to get open.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

IIMeanDeanII and NYJFOREVER like this.
  8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

This is our 3rd best free-agent signing with almost 80 million?I have suggested for the last yr JD is in over his head, We had a good core of players when JD was hired. Sam was the third overall pick,Q. Williams, L. Williams, CJ.. J Adams,M. Maye, R. Anderson. Herndon, Bell, guys like Carpenter, etc on the o-liner. With many others that were on the team in the o-line starting elsewhere. JD destroyed Sam and his value. Of all of the assets that JD got when he took over the team Leonard Williams signed a monster contract because he was worth it. J Adams is a superstar, R Anderson was a bargain at 10 million. . Our o-line was much more talented then compared to what we have now. JD is supposed to be an o-line guru. The big test is are we a better team after this draft compared to the team JD got 2 yrs ago.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Adam is that you?

apjbfc, MoWilkBeast and Mogriffjr like this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we had a good core of players when he was hired, his predecessor wouldn't have been fired in the first place.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Does this mean Ju Ju is off the table

12. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

If signing a player to a 1 year deal for $5 million is his worst move that makes him the best GM in decades.

I think the Cole signing could turn out to be a good one, but in defense of Berrios, he can only do what he is asked to do. If Gase sent him to run 5 yard routes every time, that isn't the fault of Berrios. He performed well enough in that role, and I'm interested to see how he can do in a real offensive scheme. His build and running style has always made me think of him as something like a poor man's Wayne Chrebet. And nothing would make me happier than to see Berrios become a success given that he was drafted by Belichick.

#92 Frenbar, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  13. Kotite's Revenge

Saw a stat somewhere looking at ‘contested catch rate’ and surprisingly Cole and Davis were top 5 last year...

Additionally, I watched a clip of some clown assessing QBs. And yes he was a clown. Some dope that claimed last year Tua should have been the #1 pick and Herbert would be a colossal bust. So his commentary is garbage obviously. BUT the clips he was showing of Wilson made me realize, that Wilson either:
    1) cannot read defenses OR
    2) doesn’t give a shit about short and intermediate routes and just throws FUCKING deep balls to give his WR chances.

The takeaway is: IF our 2 WR pickups are in the top 5 of contested catch rate... our new QB is from BYU guaranteed. GUARANTEED.

ouchy and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You just admitted Berrios played under Adam Gase so don't I automatically win the sucks around him contest? :)

Seriously, its not that I think this signing is some defining moment for us. But on a 1 year contract its almost a step sideways rather then forward. Like others have said, perhaps the need for a blocker type receiver is important in the new system - and so in that way it makes some sense. I think I'm frustrated because if this is our final WR core then its not a huge upgrade. If they can stay healthy then that alone will be a notable upgrade.

#94 ouchy, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Davis was the third best receiver in the entire league in pass action plays. Which will be the core of our offensive play book. If you don’t think is an upgrade I don’t know what is.

Borat likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That is a pretty obscure stat. Catching passes when everyone is keying on Travis Henry.

I hope we get a Travis Henry. Now that would be cool.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’m very interested in the Alabama and Clemson RBs in the draft. That would be a huge lift to the offense, and help whatever young QB is playing.

Cole and Davis are nice desperately needed upgrades at WR as well imo.
    Crowder is a stud and reliable chain mover also, I have no idea why people would want to trade him when we trying to develop a QB.

ouchy likes this.
  18. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

We don’t necessarily have to get top end WRs but add solid depth. JD did both.

Now if JD can find a charm in drafting a TE along with a solid RB, this can help a QB.

Losmeister and themorey like this.
  19. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Im thinking one of the Carolina backs in the 3rd//Williams or Carter

themorey, LAJet and BacktoQueens like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Just by looking at the very stats you posted, how can you not like the first guy quite a bit more? Plus Keelan is quite a bigger target too. No comparison in my mind.

ColoradoContrails likes this.