Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

A few points - might the Crowder situation depend on who is going to be our QB next year? If JD is leaning towards giving Darnold another season, then keeping his most dependable weapon would be a good move, even at an inflated price. If he plans on bringing in a rookie, then Crowder's value might drop and we may see him depart.

We have two No. 1s and a high No. 2 in the draft. That's the 2, 23 and 34 picks. That is potentially three more starters, so although we still have a lot of holes, we might be plugging three of them in a few weeks. And there are six more picks after that to add some depth. I don't see why some people are panicking. Surely we've all seen enough of quick rebuilds that flame out in a couple of seasons or, worse, never even catch fire?

Finally, I don't see how JD's careful approach to free-agency implies that he won't pay our own stars, like Q and Becton, when it comes time for their second contracts. Building through the draft, which is JD's whole philosophy, includes signing the best of those players to second contracts when the time comes. It doesn't mean you let everyone go after four years and start with a rookie again.

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'm reading an awful lot of posts, confusing inactivity in free agency, with the desire for signing and spending huge money. They aren't the same. JD can be active in free agency without backing up the truck. So far he's been relatively quiet in that regard. Especially in looking at some of the contracts being handed out, they aren't back breaking deals. And if he continues to be, it is indeed a miss. Time will tell.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the main problem is that most of the people who are upset by the lack of frenzied activity are assuming they know the overall approach (including plans for the draft) that Douglas is taking and thus guessing that he's missing out of opportunities.

Nobody on this forum has that understanding of the FO's plans so I don't see the point in overreacting yet. If it does turn out that they are planning to take a QB with the 2, then I'll probably agree with them at that point, because the Jets will be putting that QB in a bad spot.

Until then, getting riled up about this is sort of pointless.

#1063 abyzmul, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Ralebird likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The free agent market is in turmoil at this point with many people who thought they would be in wave one still standing as the music stops.

We have no idea what JD is going to do for the next few weeks but the Jets are one of the few teams that can still make semi-legitimate offers while everybody else is offering one year rescue deals.

Catbird's seat.

5. TurkJetFan

I don't think taking a QB at 2 or not should make a difference. Weapons are weapons. The draft has it's place to build the foundation. Sure, I'm on board. But we need JD to bring in more free agents (albeit not bank breaking foundational pieces), to fill out the roster. He still may do this. But it hasn't happened yet.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and PJ4Ever like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The only way the current plan isn’t a bust is if we trade for Watson. Bringing back Sam and replacing Perriman with Davis does him close to no favors. I don’t want a frenzy, I want a smart approach. We’ll see how it plays out but what I’m saying is “pushing it all off to the draft because that’s our philosophy” is counterproductive when you have tons of money to spend and seemingly loads of talent to spend it wisely on considering the market.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ding ding ding.....common sense isn't allowed on any of these threads.

ouchy likes this.
  8. jilozzo

i'm too lazy - what is the QB class look like next year - both college and NFL free agents. tia

surely that MAY impact the decisions around here.

9. TurkJetFan

That's assuming the Jets view Crowder as tied to Darnold, while there is no reason to believe they do. They likely just view him as a high end slot WR. Regardless of who the QB is.

10. jilozzo

word.

11. jilozzo

holy shit....there's a lot of pork in those numbers.

unreal - sure every current owner and GM has that pasted on their office wall.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like JDs approach, Jets and Jaguars have spent the most money on FA since 2016, and both teams have sucked.

JD so far has given contracts to young players on all 3 sides of the ball, Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

Is there anyone else left that is considered explosive that JD may want to add? because that’s what he and Saleh said they are looking for.

The draft is going to reflect the same approach, he did it last year and he will do it again this year, all three sides of the team will get new pieces through the draft.

Lets not forget the rumor about Mosley being sought after by other teams, not saying it’s going to happen but that is also a possibility that will free up money.

Being patient should definitely pay off, as players are sitting on sideline right now may take a little less money as they discern teams are not going to pay big money for their services.

We need to make the adjustment as fans to the new approach by JD, there is a silver lining.

ouchy, ColoradoContrails and AJT73 like this.
  13. ukjetsfan

Of course he is tied to Darnold to some extent. He's been his most consistent receiver. You can't just judge players in isolation and endlessly chop and change because 'this guy caught the same number of passes and costs a few million less'. Chemistry is a huge factor in QB play - it's the reason so many of us were disappointed that Robbie wasn't kept.

If this team wants to go forward (or sideways, or backwards, or whatever way he takes us) with Darnold, then keeping Crowder makes a whole lot more sense. If they're going with a new QB, then Crowder's value diminishes.

NCJetsfan and ouchy like this.
  14. TurkJetFan

I don't see the correlation to Darnold. Sure if Darnold is staying it makes sense to keep Crowder. But Crowder staying has no correlation to Darnold staying. It's a question of if he fits the new system or not, whoever the QB is. In other words, if Crowder stays it doesn't indicate Darnold is staying.

Also I'd be careful attributing Crowders success merely to chemistry. Sure they have chemistry. But he was also the only competent receiver on the team. Someone had to catch passes. And if we look at Gase entire history, largely the only guys who have ever had any level of statistical success have been guys like Stills, Albert Wilson, and Crowder..... This may sound like I don't like Crowder. Which isn't the case. I do. Personally I'd like to see him cut and replaced with Juju. But if we keep Crowder I won't be upset.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100%. I and I think many of us want to see deals especially since this team is so baron with talent. Douglas is being smart. He identified a few guys he really wanted. Paid them. Now anyone else he wants is asking too much. This market is slow. Soon players numbers and years will drop and he'll sign other players at bargain prices. One year contracts. It also lets them make a trade if someone is available. Time will tell but I like the approach.

I only know a few at this time but here are a few guys I can see the Jets sign if the market doesn't improve.

1. Will Fuller: Still one game left on a suspension. Many injury plagued seasons. If the Jets can get him at 1 year 10 million. We'd be thrilled.
    2. Juju Smith Schuster: I think he gets a long term deal. Maybe not as much as he thought but I think someone will. That being said with the TikTok situation and other questions I could see him sign a one year 12 million deal on a prove it.
    3. Guard Trai Turner: I believe injuries have hurt him. Let go by the Chargers. 1 year 10 million incentives to 15.
    4. Kujuan Williams: Has been linked to us for awhile. Surprised he isn't signed by someone yet. 1 year 8 million incentives to 12.
    5. Richard Sherman: Not surprised he's not signed. Figured he'd go into next week. I think he wants to see his market and see where he can play to compete for a championship. I don't think he signs with the Jets but 1 year 10 million up to 15 with incentives.

I know there are other players too. G Oday Obushi, DL Kerry Hyder and others who will be signed into next week or the week after who will get one year deals and come help. Hopefully a few things pick up today but I feel there won't be big names unless they agree to one year deals. Here's hoping I'm wrong. I want to see more players signed.

That being said the approach makes sense and by being wise with money we won't be in a cap situation going forward.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  16. ukjetsfan

That's exactly what I'm saying.

It's perfectly possible Crowder could stay even if Darnold goes... but I think it's less likely. As others have pointed out, he isn't cheap, and the Jets might get similar production for less money. If a new QB is coming in, then Crowder doesn't have that card in his hand.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I kinda hope JD goes heavy with solid vets on D for the rest of FA and then goes offense heavy early in the draft.

I'm iffy on Adoree' Jackson but if JD could get him cheaper than normal, he would fit the MO of this offseason so far. Other than that, guys like Sherman, Rhodes, Tartt, K'Waun Williams, Aldon Smith, and Kerry Hyder could all give us some solid options at positions of need while we draft their replacements over the next few years.

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

But you're saying this as if the Jets have been inactive. They signed a very talented WR who is very young. They added depth at LB with a guy who has a ton of potential and was steadily improving before Patricia entered the picture. They also added a legit pass rusher, something we have not had in ages. They also signed one of the best special teams talent in the league, one area we were desperately missing.

The linemen they have missed out on signed massive contracts, one of which was over $130 million. There is still a shit load of talent available at many areas of need. They also have a lot of high quality draft picks.

I'm just not understanding the argument that we have messed up. JD is not going to spend a ton of money on free agents that will likely have a few year shelf life when we are, potentially, years away from consistently making the playoffs.

If your concern is not spending at all, it's not over lol we're on day 3 and again, there is still a lot out there

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Philip Lindsay is a full-blown free agent now. He would be a very very good fit with this team. I still like Jamaal Williams better but Lindsay was a pro bowler two years ago and is very clearly a starter

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree with this big time