Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not sure Crowder is in the Jets plans at this point. We'll see what happens but there is still slot talent available in free agency and of course if the Jets wind up with Devonta Smith in the draft they are probably going to want to start him in the slot as a rookie to take some of the pressure off of him.

ouchy likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He's the most proven WR we have other than Davis. If we didn't have a question mark at QB, I could understand taking Smith, but that's not the case. We can get a good WR at 23 or on day 2.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Br4d

It's just that if you look at his actual production over the course of his career he's not an $11M WR or really anything close to that. This isn't a Sam Darnold thing either. Crowder has consistently been a decent WR. His AV numbers for his career are 5's and 6's not the 10's+ you expect to see a guy getting paid like he is. The great WR's have 15's to 19's. Crowder is at like a third of that.

Remember that Crowder is not a JD signing. He is a Mac signing and it would not be unusual at all for JD to have a very different feel for his value and not be willing to overpay for him. That's what good GM's do.

4. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

When is joe Douglas going to be accounted for. When is there going to be a mandate to win? This roster is still the worst in the NFL. He has been here since 2019 and has no pressure to win. They called me about re upping my season tickets one day after signing a #2 wr and a pass rusher that took them 15 years to get.

I’m tired of the snail pace he operates and trying to out smart everyone. Every FA that comes up “ nah too much money” “ nah they aren’t ready to win now “ I’m sick of it

boozer32 and Bellys Lies like this.
  5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll honestly be shocked if Crowder gets cut or traded. His is the type of skillset that translates across offensive schemes and he gives the Jets some veteran carryover from pre-rebuild. Yeah the price of his cap hit is a bit high but that's something easily restructured if need be.

6. Br4d

2-14, 2-14, 2-14, 2-14, 2-14...

And of course JD has not been here since 2019. He has been here since free agency and the draft were already over in 2019 and the guy before him had made a bunch of bad signings and a bunch of bad picks as was his wont.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean at the rate we are going we’ll be able to pay Crowder and still roll over $20 mil to next year.

ouchy likes this.
  8. Br4d

He's in the last year of his deal. Restructuring isn't really a thing.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No need to restructure as he's a free agent at the end of the year.

He also might be saving up rollover cap space to add Chad Hansen next year.

barfolomew likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sure it is. Add a year and a couple of million to the deal, split the hit across 2 years and give him the 11mil guaranteed up front.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's funny, the man said he wants to build through the draft and use free agency to supplement the roster, yet fans act shocked when he does exactly what he says he would do.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I expect a 5-7 win season this year. The question is will they be mostly lifeless like they were in 2020 or will they show growth and lose mainly because the talent isn't there yet. We also need to account for the likelihood that Saleh will have growing pains as a first time HC.

13. Br4d

I highly doubt that Jamison Crowder thinks his play in 2022 is going to be worth just a couple of million.

It's obvious at this point that the Jets have asked him to take a pay cut and he has refused. I suspect the next move is going to be to let him go - after they have a replacement in hand, either via free agency or the draft.

This WR market is terrible right now and paying Crowder like he's a really good player while the market is so bad is almost malpractice.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

We can't have an entire team of 24 year olds. It's not a bad thing to hang on to a veteran who can eat underneath. Worth the price tag or not is sort of irrelevant since you're just replacing the money with a different player.

You're usually more of a culture guy and doing right by players that have been here so I'm surprise you want to replace a native soldier (albeit a free agent signing three years ago) with a mercenary when there is no issue with money availability.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  15. Br4d

I'd much rather have a Ju-ju Schuster Smith or a Devonta Smith in that slot position for the Jets. Those guys have real upside potential. Crowder is a decent player who is unlikely ever to be a plus player and at $11M that is a problem.

We're not talking funny money here. Crowder gets paid $10.375M in cash this year. That's a huge sum for a slot receiver who has never approached stardom in the NFL.

azhar80, Lon Chaney and barfolomew like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Keeping culture in mind you want JuJu and all of his dancing on logos and building a personal brand on team time in the locker room?

He's young and has a lot of potential and what he's doing is relatively harmless but it's not the type of bullshit I want our all rookie coaching staff having to address.

ouchy likes this.
  17. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think your analysis is spot on, but i do think that lawrence may be the only FQB in the draft, i wouldn't hate skipping the qb this year.

18. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

[
    so let’s wait 2-3 years and when they don’t win he will be fired and another GM comes in. Cool

boozer32 and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just seems like there’s a WHOLE lot of affordable supplements and we’re showing no interest in them. That can change with a signing or two but how are we supposed to believe that’s even in the plans?

NYGANGGREEN and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. Br4d

Ju-ju is just one of the potential solutions. The point is that Crowder is very overpaid for what he does. Macc made a lot of bad deals for the Jets over the years and he has two of them still on the books. The Mosley deal is not really manageable because it is mostly guaranteed. The Crowder deal is manageable and I suspect that JD will manage it. He's already managed the Trumaine Johnson and Leveon Bell overpays.

azhar80 likes this.