Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You mean next year, when we almost surely will NOT be anywhere near a #2 pick, and will have to use a bunch of premium assets - perhaps even more than you just traded for this draft - to move up....assuming any team would be willing to trade with us, AND assuming there is a QB that's better than any of those this draft?

Yeah, good future planning.:rolleyes:

2. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Meh. I don't even think he is the first WR taken.

WR will never be the most important aspect of any football team.

If you believe there is a high quality QB. It's a no brainer. You take the QB.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Strongly disagree because if you hit on a FQB you're set at the position for 10-15 years. QB's have among the highest longevity of any position.

Regarding sure thing vs. not sure thing - almost no prospects are true sure things. Even Smith has serious questions about his size, he's not a Megatron type where there are 0 question marks. If you wait until you're in a spot to draft a sure thing at QB you'll be waiting decades to get one. Not to mention QB is easily more important to success than any other position, so it's not simply a matter of taking the BPA. Macc was Mr. BPA and look where that got us. Positional importance needs to be considered.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Smith is drawing the wrong comps. The guy he's like is Marvin Harrison.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For sure...but at the moment, JD and Belichick were on the phone with Thueny's agent (McCartney). Going back and forth. "Belichick just upped his offer. What's your response? Douglas just beat your last offer, what's your response? Back and forth for probably an hour (this was the first day that this could happen legally). Then, just when either Belichick or Douglas was about to be rewarded with Thueny, McCartney tells both of them that KC just phoned in THIS offer. At that point, both Douglas and Beli folded.

This had to hurt JoeD. You KNOW he totally values the Oline, and Thuney is the NFL's top young guard. Thuney would be the shinning star next to Becton. We were ABOUT to have perhaps the top oline in football. You know JD stretched his limits to the breaking point to get this done, but at the end of the day (or end of the negotiations as it may be) JD had the restraint to say 'No'. A true heartbreaker, but tells you all you need to know about Joe Douglas. He sets a price point, and wont' break it, even for Thueny. So other guys with other agents will know going in, when JD says 'x' is the limit, that is his limit.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Chase and Waddle will both go before Smith.

IIMeanDeanII, FJF, Noam and 2 others like this.
  7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

No, but between him, Larry, Kirk, and D Hop....if they stay somewhat healthy that is a legit wideout group for a young QB

K'OB likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

See this is the legacy DWC left me. He did this about Juedy last year because he is a fanboy. I'm doing it now because Smith is the best player in the draft.

Juedy wasn't even better then Smith when they were on the same team. The film bears this out. Did Juedy set the SEC record for receiving yards? Did he set the SEC record for TDs scored - or the FBS record for TDs? Did he win any national championships for Bama? Did he become the first WR in 30 years to win the Heisman? Can Juedy thrive at X,Y,or Z? Does Juedy have the intangables that Smith has like leadership, hard work, something to prove, or humbleness?

I'm the last person that would say use the #2 on a WR if he was not extra special. Don't confuse this with DWC's rants last year. This time its for real.

Pepsiguy5 and Footballgod214 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yet again, you respond with extremes and things I didn't say. Do you have no integrity or reading comprehension, or do you just twist things to fit your agenda?

I never said that building only through FA was valid, only that it is a valid way to add to the team along with trades and primarily building through the draft. I also said nothing about massively overpaying for FAs. I said that the Jets should not have paid crazy money for Thuney.

I didn't freak out at 2:15 or at any time. I didn't even come online until after supper. Again with the hyperbole.

The the only time you ever respond to any of my posts is to say something negative. We agree on some topics, and I have class enough to like your posts when we do, but not you mine. You obviously just don't like me, and the fact I have called you out when you were wrong, and now have an agenda to try to make me look bad whenever you can, even if you have to twist my words or lie. I could care less if you like me. That's your loss, not mine. Feel free to do whatever you like, but this is my last response to you ever. It is crystal clear to me that we see things totally different, have different perspectives. You're not willing to compromise or to try to reach any consensus, so I'm done with you.

10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Just jumping off here....not aimed at you NYJF

Wouldn't doubt it, but I think that will be 2 teams who made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, both Chase and Waddle are fine receivers, and both will most likely do well in the NFL. But Devonta Smith, slight build and all, makes catches he has absolutely no business making, and he does it regularly. He makes plays where there are none. He is anything but average. If you have an opening/need and have a chance to pick him up, I don't think you can pass by him.

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh, without a doubt he was a top WR but he has always had trouble staying fit healthy and that is not going to get better with age.

Larry Fitzgerald is an amazing guy, like Gore just keeps on going

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Smith has a lot of things going for him but saying things like he's a perfect prospect or has no question marks is making people doubt your entire argument. He's not Randy Moss or Megatron. He's a high character guy with great production and intangibles. He also has some serious questions about his size and durability at the next level. Saying things like he's a combination of Jerry Rice and Randy Moss is weakening your argument because it just seems like you're married to the guy and completely head over heels.

His best comp, as Brad said, is Marvin Harrison. That's a very good comp by the way. Great QB's do a lot more for wins and losses than a great WR though.

13. NCJetsfan

You couldn't be more wrong! You ignore NFL history, and what NFL teams actually do. No one is trying to rush the rebuild. Unlike you, we want to do the rebuild right and we want it to succeed. The only way to do that is to get your QB. The rest of the positions are easier to fill. If we get the QB this year, then the rebuild could be complete in another year or two, three at most. If we don't get the QB this year, then the rebuild may never be complete. We may be on our next GM and next rebuild looking for a QB.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

you think Donta Smith is the best player in the draft?????????????????????/ Youre wrong dude

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

bill Polian said the same exact comparison on NFL radio ... and he knows his shit

REVISion likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Totally correct. To say that Smith will go before them and is as good as Randy Moss is laughable.

17. jonnyd

Kyle Pitts will also go before Smith

18. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Randy Moss was 6'4" and changed the National Football League from a physicality standpoint (highpointing and winning deep jumpballs routinely against multiple defenders) from the moment he stepped on the field. Davonta Smith is a great prospect, and an electrifying player, but he's got nothing Randy Moss in him.

19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

At this point there is no TE action from the Jets. Kyle Pitts may be on their radar. A top TE really helps a QB and the words is he is unique prospect.

Noam likes this.
  20. jonnyd

if we dont take a QB hes my first choice and its not even close

Pepsiguy5, hornblower and Noam like this.