5 things the Jets need to do in the offseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here is my big 5 on the To Do list for the Jets in the offseason at this point:

1. Draft a big defensive tackle on the first day.

D-Rob needs to follow the Ty Warren progression and play 3-4 DE, preferably on the strong side. He'd still switch in at the nose, as Warren does, for some downs and packages.

2. Lock-up Jerrico Cotchery to a 5 year extension.

To quote Arnold Schwarzenegger: Do eet now! He's only going to get more expensive to sign the longer the Jets wait and it's pretty clear that he is a good #2 with real upside at this point.

3. Sit down with Mangini and rework his deal.

The Penguin should be the Jet's coach for the next 10-15 years. Let's make him an offer he can't refuse. What a nice counterpoint it would be if Mangini signed a long extension with the Jets right after Saban signed for 10 years with Alabama.

4. Sign Lance Briggs.

Whatever it takes go and get him. He'll play left outside linebacker and handily replace Victor Hobson. The Jet's linebacking corps would be (left to right) Briggs, Barton, Vilma, Thomas. That kinda looks to me like the best linebacking corps in the NFL on paper.

5. Lock-up Mike Westhoff for the rest of his natural life.

I don't care what you need to do to keep him just make the best special teams coach in the NFL feel special.

2. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

This last point is critical. There's no way to deny that a healthy portion of the success that the Jets have experienced this season is due to field position success gained through special teams play.

Signing Mangini is also an interesting concept. It will certainly make it clear whether his focus is really in leading this organization to victory and dominance, or whether we're a 3-5 year stepping stone, ala Belichick in Cleveland (except, you know, not awful).

Finally, assume that Lance Briggs goes elsewhere this offseason: who are our other potential FA targets at OLB? Or do we go straight to the draft?

3. GreenMachine

#5 is a must...Mike is the best coach in Jets history...(Non HC of course)

As far as the LB postition, how about Adalius Thomas?

I'd also like to see the Jets make a run for Leonard Davis. I know he is a LT, but he might do well at RT.

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I agree 100% with every point, especially with locking up cotch.

5. ChadisGoldenBoy

ChadisGoldenBoy New Member

I'm not sure its in Tangini philosophy to spend an absolute boatload, which it will take, to sign Lance Briggs.

First off, Hobson has played pretty well, and I'd be happy to see continue to play outside LB for our 3-4. Also does Briggs have any 3-4 experience??

6. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I agree. Why no love for Hobson? He has had a great season. Kimo and Barton are more replacable.

7. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Kimo has been terrible- I'd love to have D-Rob rotating at DE next year. If we can get a huge NT (big IF) then we'd have a mean line. If only those 3/4 nose tackles were readily available!

I like Amobi Okoye out of Louisville a lot to play nose- he's young enough to put on serious weight in future years.

Once we shore up the line, our linebackers will start to look even better. If Marshawn isn't available at our first round pick, I'm all for going for a pass-rushing LB and then looking at Akoye in the 2nd round.

#7 Gubernaculum, Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  8. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

draft brian leonard! we need a fullback. maybe even get clark harris (well rounded TE). get themselves a rb that they can stick in there as the featured back.

i think the DT could be addressed viz FA. the jets are gonna be around 25 mil under the cap.

i agree they need to lock up cotch.

mangini is finishing up year 1 on his contract...no need to extend him so soon. thats a waste of time and resources at this point. maybe after his second or third year, depending on the teams progress.

9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I agree completely on these two points. Leonard is not going to simply be another fullback. We're looking at Mike Alstott with the ability to actualy run-block. This guy can be a huge addition to the run game and his receiving skills are definetly something that'll help out Clemens when his time comes to take over the reigns.

Cotchery's improvement and breakout this season speaks for itself, pay the man!

10. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Hard to argue with these, but I would say that from a position/need standpoint, RB, RT and DE (in no particular order) are the biggest holes that need to be filled.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Uh, Dude,
    Hobson is having a great season and Is one of the reasons our defense is playing so well.

Money can be better spent elsewhere

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

hobson has ben great this year and seems like a great fit for the new scheme, i wouldn't get rid of him. I love our 4 LBs w/ Thomas, Barton, Vilma and Hobson but we need better depth.

I agree w/ #1, Herm got a new deal from Woody after '01 so I think the Jets will do the same w/ Mangini, they are working on a Cotchery deal and I expect he'll be signed to a new deal and Westhoff will be here as long as he wants to be.

13. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

We need a BLOCKING Fullback.

If we take Leonard in round 7, fine, it's a shot at getting a player, but not before (spare me the 'he's projected to go in round 2 or 3' crap... that's a huge reach in my eyes). We need a Lorenzo Neal type fullback.... and those type guys do not need to be drafted.

Also, this is the RIGHT time to lock in Mangini. It shows loyalty, and after 1 season, it shows commitment. Not locking him up can only mean he keeps coaching his ass off and demands more or decides to go elsewhere. We do not want that. There is no cap on coaches salaries, so giving him a raise will not hurt.

14. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I don't agree with your point on Hobson. He is having the best season of his career and is definitely a fit for the system.

If anybody goes, its Barton. I think that moving Hobson to the inside would only better this LB corps, and then you add your pass rushing OLB opposite Thomas. That would then give you probably one of the best LB corps in the league.

To can a guy like Hobson when he is arguably in the top 2 of the unit this year is something I wouldn't even consider.

15. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I think Barton could be expendable as he is getting older though I like him.

Along with RT, RB, and DE, I would like too see us draft a CB. Nothing against Hank Poteat, but when he's starting, you need some help there too. This will be an interesting offseason as the Jets have a number of needs, but it's hard to say which one is the biggest. Should be a lot of deabte on here during the offseason.

BTW, who are our free agents after this year?

16. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

how about this leave bryan thomas on the outside rushing take hobson put him on the inside take vilma put him on the outside and barton in the middle as well. get a solid big dt to help d-rob get a shut down corner and we should be okay

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Great post. I agree with all points except #4. Hobson is a beast, he is playing well under Mangini's system, he will be cheaper than Briggs, and he already has a year of experience under Mangini. I would keep him around and if anything give Hobson an extension.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Right on the money with this post. The Jets desperately need better blocking, and a huge part of that is having a fullback who will make blitzers and run stoppers think twice before getting in the way. Lorenzo Neal is EXACTLY this type of fullback and look what it has done for Tomlinson. We need a guy just like him.

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Why would you move Hobson inside to a position in which we have no idea as to whether he can be successful? He's done just fine where he is. If we bring in an extra top-line ILB and an OLB then we've added strength and depth, which is what we need to be successful.

20. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Boy there are a million things we could do with the guys we have on defense and I'm not going to pretend I know what the best solution is. So I'll say this. Tangini apparently knows what they are doing and they'll do what's right.