Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

If Darnold is trash why haven't the Jets traded him for a conditional 6th rounder already. please man.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If he's so good why hasn't someone ponied up a 1st? If they had, he's be long gone by now.

TonyFtLaud, major33 and REVISion like this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have talked about how I am on board with moving on from Sam Darnold, and how I like the idea of the Jets (and Sam) starting fresh. I have talked about still believing in Sam and how I think he can still succeed in the NFL too.

What I haven't said is how much it pains me that the situation has come to this. I truly thought that Sam was the franchise QB that the Jets have been waiting for all of my life. The odd part is he still could be, but the situation has unfolded in a way where I don't think Douglas and company can take the risk to find out. That is just how the NFL works. The Jets are in a great spot as far as QB is concerned. They can draft one at #2 or even trade for one like Deshaun Watson. When you factor that in, plus the sad truth that Sam played pretty bad last season, it makes it hard to justify keeping him.

I honestly think Sam is a great kid, who can succeed in the NFL, and lead his team to success. I just don't think it will be in New York anymore, and in the end, that is unfortunate.

Centiment, Br4d, jetstopgun and 4 others like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The latest rumor du jour:

LOL 49er fans are freaking out on twitter saying they don't want Darnold!

#704 NCJetsfan, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I will choose to believe this random rumor because it fits my bias.

6. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Agree..It pains me that he’s already gone.. just don’t trade Sam to the 49ers ..keep this in mind..we will be running the same offensive .. can you imagine if he plays well in that system and Wilson struggles OMG .. I don’t admire Douglas having to make this decision.. for those Wilson lovers you better be right!

#706 jetstopgun, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    TonyFtLaud and The Dark Knight like this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm not particularly pessimistic about Darnold's chances to rebuild his career as some are. That said it feels like the Jets need to be able to frame a Darnold return as the starting QB in some other context than as the likely starter for years to come. This gives them the freedom to make the move without a withering barrage of criticism from the half of the fan base that just want him gone at all costs.

Having seen a lot of modern QB play, meaning since Peyton landed in Indy in '98, the situation that Darnold is in seems most like the situation Drew Brees was in with the Chargers headed into the 2004 season. Bree was entering his 4th season with the Chargers and had started 27 games over the prior two seasons. He had a rep as a strong-armed QB who moved around very well in the pocket. He was seen as a less accurate passer who forced a lot of throws to his first read and often was throwing to later reads in the progression on the move under pressure. He had 28 TD's and 31 Int's in his 28 career starts.

The Chargers really liked his moxie but his results were consistently disappointing and so in 2004 they made the decision to move on. Note that the decision was not a regime-based decision. The HC was Marty Schottenheimer and he had seen enough of Brees and was ready to use the #1 pick in 2004 draft to get his QB.

Brees was widely seen as an attractive rescue candidate in a trade scenario. However nobody was willing to pay a premium to make that happen. Lots of teams would have jumped at the chance to trade a 3rd round pick for Brees but the Chargers weren't having that. No fire sale on Brees was in the offing.

Then over the summer it became clear that the Chargers were not easily going to be able to sign Philip Rivers, their rookie QB acquired in the Eli Manning trade. Rivers wanted big numbers, maybe as much as Manning got as the #1 pick and the Chargers were fairly conservative with contracts and so they got into a standoff. Rivers was a hold out and the hold out continued well into camp.

Schottenheimer had been a supporter of Brees as a young QB and then soured on him as his production did not equal the hype. Well, in camp that year Brees was light's out, seeming to have grown into a veteran QB overnight. By the third pre-season game Schottenheimer had seen enough to declare Brees the starter for 2004. Rivers ended his holdout after that third pre-season game but the damage was done. It would take him two full seasons to capture the starting role on the Chargers because Drew Brees career was up, up and away and nobody was going to put him back on the bench.

The difference between Brees and Darnold so far is that Brees actually had some quality playmakers to work with during his rocky two seasons before the Chargers decided to move on.

Darnold has had nothing to work with.

8. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I hope this is true but I can’t imagine a random Twitter account with 173 followers having some Schefter-level contacts. It appears to be a “man on a boat”

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's also fairly unlikely this would leak via a Jets-related source.

Joe Douglas has played his hand very close to his vest this off-season and the odds are very good that nobody else in the organization has 100% certainty on what the plan is at this point. Maybe Saleh has some certainty due to the interview process however it is definitely in his best interest not to have player issues caused by social media become a thing.

10. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

The decision to move Darnold, IMHO, is more about rolling the "success window' forward a couple years than it is about him being bust. I think he's still a good QB in need of a fresh start. The recent super bowl winners have seen a lot of high powered young QB's still on their rookie deals that allows the team to stock the larder around them. I think that's what the Jets are aiming for.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I hope we are thinking longer term than a 5 year run tbh

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This is the NFL , Five year runs is all you can plan for.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Men on boats run the world.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The only issue is that he's never been a good quarterback so he can't really "still" be one.

He might be a fresh start guy.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. K'OB

It seems some teams seem to manage to stay relevant for longer, I guess I am being greedy lol or desperate.

cval and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'll take a five year run for the Jets. Heck, they haven't even been able to get a five yard run recently. Any run would be nice. :)

TonyFtLaud, cval, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it's both, but more getting better QB play. He has talent and is a great kid, so that makes the decision harder, but the bottom line is he had footwork issues coming into the league and they have only gotten worse instead of better. There's no excuse for that. Those footwork issues affect his accuracy and TOs and until he fixes that, he won't be getting appreciably better. Then there's his inability to see the field/read the D and his lousy decision making. Some of the decision making and accuracy can be blamed on the Jets' poor OL and WRs not getting open, but most of it is all on Darnold for not fixing his footwork. Once you fix it and it becomes automatic and part of muscle memory, it works even under pressure. He obviously has never put in the necessary work to fix it.

18. Donttasemebro

You stay relevant longer by drafting well. It keeps your team stocked with low priced young talent leaving you enough $$$ to sign the missing pieces from free agency. rinse/repeat every year.

19. Donttasemebro

Fair...i just look at what tannehill did after a change of scenery and no longer being saddled with Gase

20. K'OB

Not working well in the green half of NY then.

Donttasemebro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.