DEs/Edges

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Is this his final ranking? If so it could be off by a lot, Basham should not be that low, he’s very well rounded, and probably needs the least refinement of all those guys ahead of him.

3. NCJetsfan

Good question. I don't know, Red. I haven't really studied/researched or watched DEs yet. I've been focusing on QB and OGs.

I don't know what his ranking is primarily influenced by, or his credentials, either. It seems to me that he's perhaps basing his ranking on ceiling/potential rather than actual NFL readiness. It's very odd to me that Ojulari is #2, Payton Turner is #4, and Basham #7. It looks like he may be biased against the ACC since he has Basham Phillips and Jones all ranked so low.

In the thread, someone asked why Phillips is so low. He said that he had the same grade on him as Rousseau, but because of the concussions/retirement/durability question, that's what caused him to move Phillips down the rankings.

#3 NCJetsfan, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  4. NCJetsfan

Here are more breakdowns by the same guy.

5. NCJetsfan

6. Red Menace

One of the things that makes me question his ranking is him thinking that guys can be both 3-4 5T and 4-3 DE players. We saw it first hand how Leo struggled in the 3-4 when he should have been a 4-3 end all along.

I get trying to get mismatches during games but the Jets are going to a very specific wide 9, 4-3 scheme that requires the DE to come off the ball and allow inside linemen to take advantage of one on one matches.

That why Bosa was so effective in Niners defense, I don’t see a lot of guys coming out that compare to Bosa and that includes Rousseau.

Thanks for posting this information.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Excellent point, Red! I agree.

You're welcome.

8. NCJetsfan

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Rousseau is massively over hyped. Maybe he won't end up being drafted as high as projected but his big sack totals last year were a bit of the product of the entire front four dominating. He was usually the guy who cleaned up with the sack after the pocket was initially wrecked.

I never saw him come screaming off the edge of bullying the offensive tackle to get to the QB.

He's physically gifted but he's also very tall and pretty slender like Randy Gregory was. He's good with his hands so maybe he can be coached up.

As far as your description I like Azeez Olujari in this defense a lot. He looks like a track athlete off the line. Jaelan Phillips and both Pitt defensive ends too. I think Shaka Toney would've had a huge year with a full schedule. If he can be had late he'd be a solid pick.

Red Menace and REVISion like this.
  10. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

My concerns with Ojulari and Toney are scheme fit. Both guys are definitely talent but do they have the physical tools to win off the edge rushing 4 in the league at 230? Tackles in the NFL are going to be athletic, outweigh them by 70-100lbs and have proper technique. If we are going to be running a defense with 4 down linemen are they just going to get blown off their rush most of the time? I’d rather guys with a bit more meat on their frame who can convert speed to power. Elerson Smith in the mid rounds is silky smooth, quick, 260lbs now and has the frame to add more for extra power at the POA. Also has excellent length which Toney lacks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Toney's 250+ and Olujari is a bit undersized at his listed 240. Both a bit short though for sure.

I'll check out Smith, never heard of him to be honest.

12. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Toney weighed 238 at the Senior Bowl at 6’2. Luckily he’s a pocket Hercules. Ojulari is listed 6’3 240 which is pretty solid and does have the frame to add more but I think you have to question how much speed he’d lose going up another 10-20.

13. Thinking outside the box alittle..would be very intrigued by Micah Parsons being converted to a wide 9. 6”3 245 long arms w that type of range & closing ability?

Wonder if any team requested to work him out w his hand in the dirt,how his get off looks or if he has any type of punch/hand quickness

Red Menace, NCJetsfan and James Hasty like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Here's a possible 2022 prospect I've had in mind for over a year. I don't know if he'll come out or if we'll pick high enough to land him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Oweh is gonna fly up boards with his 40 time but could be gholston 2.0

16. NCJetsfan

With his concussion history, I wouldn't consider Phillips before the 3rd round. Shaka Toney is more of a 3-4 OLB imo, and would fit in our D. I agree that Rousseau is overrated and over-hyped. He has athleticism and potential, but I'd rather wait until next year or take a flyer on someone in the 3rd-4th round range.

17. Red Menace

You guys need to look at Basham when you get a chance, he did not opt out of football. He does everything well and is a natural DE.

18. Red Menace

I would be oh so happy with Parsons as a Jet, your suggestion is something that would be great. Use him the same as Niners used Dee Ford.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Red Menace

I thought I was only one who viewed Rousseau as being overhyped. I believe he is going to be a good football player but I agree with your assessment, I have never seen that explosive charge coming off the edge, he’s expected to do it from farther in this type of defense. He would be starting from over the outside shoulder of TE.

The guy I would like Jets to look at is Boogie Basham, 6’5 265 natural DE from Wake Forest. Let me know what you think, I posted a video of him.

20. Red Menace

This is an ideal big man with speed, Joe Tryon, 6’5/260 natural DE.