Chris Simms and Curious Case of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 3, 2021.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hopefully the #1 team completely agrees with him and your avatar can become true! :cool:

Rockinz and K'OB like this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Simms don't seem to like Fields at all....

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think it all comes down to how much the FO likes Wilson? Is Wilson + picks from Darnold trade > Darnold + taking Pitts (Chase or Smith) at 8, plus next years 1st, this years second and possibly 2023 1st and another 2nd or 3rd rounder. As the buzz about Wilson grows the haul for trading back is just growing and that is the evaluation the FO must make. I really like Wilson and hope we take him but I will respect their judgment if we trade back. I agree with Simms when he said we cannot do wrong (except if we stay at 2 and don't take Wilson). As mush as I wanted to go 0-16 we are in a great spot at #2. Wilson + what we get from Darnold or Darnold with possibly 3 extra 1s and few other 2nds and thirds.Both sound a lot better than where we were a few months ago.

I can't wait for March 17th and the start of FA. Once FA starts then the Wilson and Fields pro days and before you know it will be draft day. Those 6 weeks are going to go fast once we get to March 17th.

#43 Noam, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Good post...the only thing I will add is that Wilson would be on a rookie contract for the next 4 years or whatever it is, and Darnold (if he plays well enough) will have to get a very big contract. This will be a huge difference in team composition down the line so this has to be considered as well

Brook!, PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Wilson + picks from Darnold trade.

Get the QB. Protect the QB. Give the QB people to throw too.

I expect Douglas to go heavy OL this draft regardless of which QB he’s rolling with. I’m all for it as long as he also addresses WR/TE.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well spotted :D:D:D

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As I've said here many times, I think the mental aspect of QB analysis is under-developed. That's not to say that physical traits aren't really important, but I do think they way overshadow the mental part. But if you look at the great QBs the one thing they have in common is their ability to play the game at a different speed than everyone else, and that's a mental trait. Mahomes is great, not just because he has an elite arm, but because he knows how to play the game and take advantage of things that others don't see. Same is true for Rodgers, Brady, R. Wilson, et. al. This is why I like Zach Wilson, and I also like Mac Jones (as well as Trey Lance, but I feel he hasn't played enough and is more raw). And frankly I don't see the mental processing as one of Lawrence's strengths which is why I rank Wilson ahead of him.

And actually I've seen flashes of this aspect in Darnold but it's been inconsistent, and after Gase handcuffed him and didn't even let him audible out of plays I think that almost snuffed out any creativity that Sam did have.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO Morgan was never even under consideration for playing time with Gase, as Gase was fighting to save his job. He couldn't have cared less about the Jets' potential future backup QB. Why would they cut ties with him? That would be ridiculous imo. He had no OTAs, mini-camp, or preseason last year. The Jets were focusing on Darnold and Flacco, and Mike White was also in the picture. If they cut ties with him, they'd just have to add 2 QBs to the roster instead of 1 (I think Mike White is still on the roster).

9. NCJetsfan

I believe the Jets' QBs will be either Zach Wilson or Watson, Morgan and a cheap veteran like Beathard or Taylor.

PJ4Ever and Borat like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Posters need to forget about the Maddenesque "haul" of draft picks. That is so juvenile imo. We haven't had a great QB since Namath, and one could be sitting there for us at #2, yet people are more focused/concerned with trading down and getting a haul of draft picks. One would think that we've had plenty of great QBs and have one now, and just need some talent around him. Well, that isn't reality.

#50 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. NCJetsfan

Actuallly, it's not a great draft for IOL, so I would be shocked if he went heavy OL in this draft. I think that he will sign at least one, maybe two OGs in FA. I could see him drafting Fant's eventual replacement, but I'd be surprised if he drafts over one IOL. Based on the reading/research I've been doing, most of the better IOL are better fits in a man block power scheme, as they aren't very agile, athletic and wouldn't be good fits in an outside zone scheme.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What is more troubling is how many posters talk about a "haul of picks", but when I read what some posters propose for trading down I'm amazed. Things like trading back to #8 and getting a 2nd and 3rd rounder this year and a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year - for the #2 pick which many say is worth TWO 1st rounders! I wouldn't consider a trade back beyond the #3 or possibly #4 pick that didn't include two first this year and a 1st and a middle rounder next year, minimum.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Don’t play with my emotions about Lawrence Dark Knight :D

The Dark Knight likes this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Strictly talking about the BYU kid.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Maybe if Simms was more accurate as a passer he would've lasted longer in the pros. And stop acting like Simms is some QB whisperer. He's got that job because of his last name.

If you like the BYU kid then have the balls to say it. Don't hide behind some stupid question like "well Chris Simms said it so it must be true" Laughable. I made my stance clear.

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Depends what’s on the table.

Wilson can’t start day 1. He just can’t. Not many of the great twerky strong arm guys didn’t sit for at least a year (Mahomes/Rogers/Favre), it took Allen a little bit as well to get going. So CJ Beathard would need to start day 1 if we draft Wilson. I’m not going to ruin him like we ruined Darnold.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Agreed, it's insane to me. There's valuing draft capital and then there's overvaluing draft capital. We have a lot of draft capital even without trading down from #2. At a certain point you need a good QB, it's quite literally a prerequisite to being consistently competitive in the modern game. We're in a great spot to land a great prospect this year. Let's not overthink this.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

How does Simms' playing career have anything to do with how he views Wilson? Simms has been probably the most accurate QB prospect analyst of anyone over the last several years.

Leicester Jet, PJ4Ever, Borat and 2 others like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh right, totally misunderstood you both times then lol

More words would help :p

At this point in time my head is up my arse, two guys I respect for knowledge dislike Wilson and some others like him, though the Fields fanclub has quietened down somewhat recently.

I only hope we do not fuck it up :rolleyes: