Chris Simms and Curious Case of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I got to say he did the Jets a huge solid with this. Makes #2 even more valuable! Hopefully a top 10 team completely agrees and mortgages the future for him

FJF likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why?

If it was a one-off list then I'd agree, how do you explain away his previous years efforts?

Luck?

Maybe it is just luck lol

ZachMFWilson likes this.
  3. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree. I think Lawrence is on such a high pedestal just because for the last 3 years all we've heard is he will be #1 when he goes pro. He's been in the national spotlight ever since Watson graduated and has a top ranked team all around him. The ACC has been down and other than Notre Dame (which let's be honest is NOT the Notre dame of old) they really don't have tough competition. Granted, he hasn't given any reason to knock him off that pedestal, but there are now whispers that he is either not that far ahead of Wilson or as Sims says, a notch behind him. I'm hoping he's right, and the Jets have to don't mortgage the future on Deshaun Watson.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I think he's another Western US gimmick QB. Maybe I'm wrong.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thank you @Brook! for making this. In Simms last take with Burrow/Herbert, at the end he as asked about any 'dark horses' that no one is talking about. He mentioned James Morgan as a very interesting player. Great arm, great spin, etc. The interview was at the end and Simms didn't have much time to discuss, but I thought it was interesting he mentioned Morgan.

6. K'OB

Ah sorry I think I misunderstood, you mean the inclusion of Killen Mond on the list?

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, I sure wish we had been able to see some of Morgan, but Gase never even hinted he'd be on the field. Is that because Morgan was Hack 2 ( odds are against this), or because Gase was fighting for his career and wasn't going to risk it by playing a rookie - (my bet)? In any case I'd still like to see what Morgan's got. I did watch some tape of him when he was drafted and he has a big arm and looks to make plays so I was intrigued then. I'm curious if they're going to cut ties with him.

Mogriffjr, Borat and Footballgod214 like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Spot on. I asked in an earlier thread if Morgan ran the scout team (vs Flacco). With almost no TC and zero pre season games we've seen exactly zero on James Morgan. It will be interesting to see who our BUQB is this season. That may say it all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

I doubt the backup will be Morgan since he hasn't played a snap in live action. If Douglas drafts a QB I doubt Morgan is retained, unless they carry 4 QBs. They would have to have a vet QB to possibly start the season and show the rookie the ropes, or to come in if the rookie gets hurt - they're not going to bring in a completely untested QB in that case, and that goes for if the backup vet gets hurt too. But if they keep Darnold, maybe they also keep Morgan, and sign a vet like Beathard.

K'OB likes this.
  10. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

The question asked to you is “if Simms has been so consistently accurate to date with his QB talent rankings then how do you figure he’s not going to be accurate this year?”

REVISion likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Or we get him ourselves without mortgaging future.

12. K'OB

Going off that press conference, the one thing that stands out is Sam is gone imo, I once thought that I wouldn't have been shocked that Sam was back for another year but now I would be shocked if he is back in a Jet's uniform.

As for Morgan, he has one thing going for him and that is JD drafted him, he must have drafted him for a reason, Gase the QB guru would rather just stick with folk that he knew, like Falk and Fales, even White showed us more in that TC but what good did it do him ultimately?

13. ZachMFWilson

I read that Morgan was drafted more for his off the field presence than this on the field talent. Gase was the driving force but I’ve heard in high school this kid would watch NFL games and dissect offensive plays and then run them during his H.S. games.

REVISion likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

That may be, but he has a live arm - from what I saw, along the level of Mahomes and Allen.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I could be 100% wrong and if we draft him I hope I am. I just don't put a lot of salt into anointing a guy that's essentially called one draft class correctly so far when none of the aforementioned players have even reached their second contract.

As far as Mond is concerned, he was the least sacked and best protected player in college football last year with the most experienced offensive line and didn't blow the doors off a rather week SEC with passing production this last year. 4/10 games he was under 200 yards passing including three games under 2 touchdowns, one of which he didn't throw one.

Monds top receiving target last year was a runningback which says a bit about their play calling, and his tightends are always high producers in a quick paced offense.

He has a decent arm and can run around a little bit but I think his pro upside is the Minnesota checkdown version of Teddy Bridgewater. That's not a ceiling I'd want to draft a player to.

#35 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  16. K'OB

No, I watched a montage of him v Alabama and he wasn't really impressive at all tbh, a lot of high throws and missing open receivers.

17. ZachMFWilson

There are busts every year. Maybe the Mond ranking says less about Mond and more about Fields and Lance. Maybe Simms is saying Fields and Lance are trash and are the future busts of 2021.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

Here's what seems to be a pretty detailed analysis of him:

WalterFootball.com: 2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Kellen Mond

And another that echoes the above:

2021 NFL Draft Scouting Report: QB Kellen Mond | The Draft Network

He sounds sort of like Darnold coming out of college. Inconsistent accuracy, traced to poor footwork. Maybe if he goes to the right team that can correct this basic problem he can become what Simms is predicting, but the odds are against this. Still, given Simms' expertise and experience, I'm hesitant to say he's wrong because he's been right in the past when I was sure he was wrong - Allen for one.

K'OB likes this.
  19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Well it certainly helps us by juicing up the narrative and suggesting there may be 2 bona fide star QBs. thank you Chris!! ANd who knows maybe we pick the guy after all

my biggest issue with the analysts is they talk a lot about arm talent (can make all the throws, really spin it -- aka Geno SMith) or team stats (e.g., coming from college teams that are so stacked against their competitors -- in a way never repeated in the pros and likely to be the far opposite when they're young pros -- i.e., mediocre or worse teams).

I'm more interested in those candidates who seem a step ahead between the ears and not a step ahead at the combine

Drew Bledsoe: million dollar arm; 10 cent brain. Tom Brady worse combine performance ever in some drills. i live up here in Boston and hear all the stories about how BB/Pats knew they were on to something, carrying 4 QBs and what not. But the fact is they were starting Drew until Mo Lewis almost killed him -- so they weren't that convinced

If it were allowed (who knows maybe it is), I'd want to interview these guys with a simulator where the QB is the candidate (programmed for foot speed, arm strength etc.). give him one of those VR gizmos, and then see how he diagnoses reacts and plays

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and K'OB like this.
  20. K'OB

Maybe that is the case, I'm just glad I don't have to stake my reputation and future career on one of them lol