Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That might be where you rank him technically on a draft board, but QB's are different. If you want him, you may have to take him at #2 overall. If you don't, then you don't. And you can pick Sewell or Chase, or trade down. Maybe that is what JD will do.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No way Wilson makes it past the top 5. If the Jets pass on him Atlanta would take him.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Do you think wilson would go before fields?

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

lol

First of all, not true. Many QB's can make the throws Sam does. Second, as we've all said to you 10 times, the problem is that Sam has a couple of these plays every few games and the rest of his play is utterly atrocious.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. boozer32

Yes but then again we have been surprised before on draft day. Right now the latest I seen Fields go is at 9. I don't believe he'll make it that far and really don't see a fit for him inside the top 5. So we'll see. some team might get antsy and trade up for him. I don't see him making it past the Eagles.. With them trying to trade Wentz.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. boozer32

No one to blame but Gase for winning those two games. The Jets and their fans could have taken off 3 months of blogging and wondering who the Jets were taking. It would have been a wrap as soon as the season was over.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  7. barfolomew

True I was really looking forward to lawrence

8. If his Medical doesnt check out (shoulder prognosis’ tend to be pretty cut & dry) And/or his off the field concerns are legit he could very well have a camera fixated on a zoom of him sulking in his living room from about pick 17 onward

barfolomew likes this.
  9. barfolomew

Remember geno? He acted so sulky

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The last thing Todd McShay would do is to use his bullhorn to let the world know what JD was going to do with the #2. There's no value in that at all for JD and no reason he would let McShay know what he was going to do there.

Best guess is McShay is getting some clicks and JD is benefiting in some way in the process.

Smoke blowing? Probably not but definitely not the Jets path in a lock.

BrowningNagle and barfolomew like this.
  11. barfolomew

I agree with this, JD best play is to keep quiet, and see how the runes fall. Let others assign the value they will to our pick at 2. If it's not enough we stay put or counter.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes. The Jets will never have more leverage for a trade down than when the common consensus is that we are taking a QB. This perception would also keep the Fins leverage as low as possible given that few teams will trade in advance for the #3 if they think two QB's will be gone by the time it is on the clock.

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

What's more likely to happen.

Jets build around Sam, and the great guy becomes a top QB.

Or the first or second round draft pick and the QB we get at #2 become top players?

I love Sam, but let's start afresh with a QB that gives the new system the best chance to succeed, and use the Darnold pick/picks to help build the roster.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan, REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets don't take him at #2, I think Atlanta could take him at #4. He's a GA native and that doesn't hurt.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

REVISion likes this.
  16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I guess if you are going to build around Sam then Sewell would probably be the pick to make. If we somehow construct an All-Pro OL then maybe, just maybe Darnold will use that extra, above average time in the pocket to scan the field and make a good decision.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

If they're going to build around Sam, then they should trade down from #2 because they're going to need all the help they can get and then some. They could possibly trade down 3-4 spots and take Chase or PItts. but they'd probably be better off trading down to around 12 or so and taking one of Darrisaw or Slater. Either would be fine at RT. Trading down from #2 to #5 may only give them 2nd and 4th round picks, but if they trade down to #12, they could possibly get a 2nd and 3rd this year and a #1 next year or something on that order.

If the got one of Slater or Darrisaw at #12, then at #23 they could grab Wyatt Davis. With their two 2nd round picks they could take Jaycee Horn and Terrace Marshall, Jr. Then with their three 3rd round picks, they could take Hunter Long, Carlos Basham, and one of Jarrett Patterson or Michael Carter. In the 4th they could grab a LB like Cameron McGrone. That would possibly give two new OL starters, two more targets for Sam, another RB, and address needs at DE, CB, and LB. Then with their two 5th round picks maybe they could get a Javian Hawkins or Demetric Felton and a PR. Then in the 6th they could draft a K or a FB.

If they've signed Thuney, Sherman, Trey Hendrickson and a few more FAs, they'd at least have a chance to finish at .500.

#279 NCJetsfan, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Footballgod214 and REVISion like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I would be shocked and angered. IMO it would be foolish to take Sewell. They could trade down, get extra picks and get one of Slater or Darrisaw, neither of whom is that far behind Sewell, and some "experts" think Slater is better.

REVISion and NYGANGGREEN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.