Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

It’s not rocket science; It’s team building.

IMO putting together the strongest and deepest Oline is the most important goal.

Since the post about Watson vs Sam, drafting a QB at 2 wasn’t an option.
    Since there weren’t any trade down options, that couldn’t happen.

Since I’m doing an experiment about the offensive roster depth issues, a defensive player isn’t an option.

So it comes down to Chase or Sewell and I believe having the strongest deepest OL in the game is more important than having a decent line and a top flight receiver.

How many games did Becton or Fant miss last year? How did the backups do?
    Are we playing less games next season or more?
    Do you think depth is going to be more important or less?

It’s not rocket science. It’s team building. It’s about leaving a few weaknesses as possible. And having the ability to pivot.

#241 ZachMFWilson, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah because team building says to spend a #2 overall on a guard when you can get 90% of the production for 60% of the cost much later in the draft.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and blackssmagic like this.
  3. 2 dominant OTs are better than 1.

Sewell & Becton can play both OT spots. Becton played both in college from down to down based on scheme while Sewell was an RT in HS. BOTH are on record as saying theyd be willing to play either.

In this scenario itd come down to direct skillset.You typicallly want power/size on the right & technique/agility on the Left. Becton would move to RT & would likely be fine w it incl financially.Why? He already had a great yr at LT,RT suits his skillset & an T who can play both spots are worth more than solely a LT.

We’d really be providing ourselves an amazing foundation at a position w increased scarcity.You can build a dominant offense the way JD & Saleh want to w those 2.

papapump, twown and barfolomew like this.
  4. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Trade Sam, trade down, draft a QB, draft a tackle with #2, deal for Watson and the list grows. The Jets are playing this perfectly by doing and saying nothing. Free-agency is the focus now. They are in touch with the ones they want and next month they will have three or four new quality starters. Then comes the draft where they can afford to take the best player on the board because they are just starting their program. Look for them to load up choices for 2022.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I know you like Lance best of all of the QBs coming out, and I respect your knowledge, but don't you find it concerning that he's only made about 300+ passes in his college career, and will have played only one game in the past two years by the time training camp comes around? Seems like a big gamble. That said, Douglas has all the tape on him and can deeply study all his mechanics etc. to the point where I'm sure he can feel confident in whatever decision he makes.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think there's a lot to be said for this approach, but most here are of the belief that a QB must be taken with their first pick. While I admit to leaning that way myself because I'm not convinced Darnold can be resurrected on the Jets, I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas goes in the direction you suggest. If he does, I still hope that he decides to take a QB that he thinks can replace Darnold - maybe Lance if he falls that far, or Jones - but I'd be ok with keeping Darnold even so to allow the rookie to sit and learn.

7. Yes im concerned about all of it.

For me..its the same question for him as it is w Fields/Wilson. Does the potential upside outweigh the risk?

I think hes explosive,instinctive & dynamic.The efficiency & RZ effectiveness are also quite compelling.

The tape he has combined w only 300 or so passes can actually be looked at as upside just as well as a concern.How good could he be w more reps & coaching? And yes i understand the counter to that.

So from a risk management perspective understanding there is no fool proof scenario, i strongly lean towards Lance bc i believe in his ceiling & upside much more than esp Wilson.Fields is a different animal

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I don't see him getting past the Pat's, granted Mac Jones has Patriots written all over him

K'OB likes this.
  9. In a perfect world we go QB at 2.. but the QB has to be worth the pick & thats where im struggling.Its not very resourceful w how bad this roster is to force a QB who isnt worth the pick & isnt head & shoulders better than sam.

We then miss out on a potential impact player(something we desperately need) at another position or a massive trade down.Meanwhile in all likelihood we take ourselves out of drafting perhaps a better QB prospect over the next 2 drafts. And if Sam bounces back along the way? That could be an ugly ugly outcome..and not unrealistic.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  10. blackssmagic

I would as well, let Lance sit for the first half and learn. He is the perfect prospect for today's game. I think we can still get him in the 5 to 7 range but not much lower

11. blackssmagic

The difference is Lance is deadly accurate as he is. If he comes into the NFL and completes passes at his same rate in college I will be thrilled

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I agree, Lance is a lot more accurate than Allen was in college. Small sample size but still.

NCJetsfan and blackssmagic like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A strange take from the guy who argued the toss very voraciously all last off season about the lack of talent at WR v OL being drafted with the number 11 pick.
    Do you not fancy Chase or Smith this time around then?

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

In theory isn't that what every scout, GM, and team is looking for? I know it's been the Jets priority since Namath. I'm on the Zach Wilson train but with the Jets history and worst recent history, you just know it's not gonna happen. Jets fans get amnesia really quick. I refuse to call it optimism.

15. Good call KOB. I did strongly prefer WR over OT mainly bc i wasnt enamored w the early OT options but for Becton.Also didnt like Wills/Wirfs both being more RTs & RTs only. The one vehemently oppossed to was Thomas & hope folks now understand why. Also felt skilll was just a big of need & like usual it tends to get swept under the rug till next draft perpetually.

Id still prefer a WR or a weapon over an OT.

Pitts
    Chase
    Freeman
    Waddle
    Bateman

However, i could get behind Sewell bc hes a great prospect,paired w Becton would be potentially all time good. It’d fit what JD & Saleh want to do & would guve us that foundatioln/identity weve been sorely lacking.

Still prefer a trade down or Chase/Pitts at 2..but Sewell at 2 is far from a bad thing

#255 KurtTheJetsFan, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Of course, the biggest problem again/still is the fact we have so many needs, 10 picks in round 1 would barely scratch the surface lol

Interesting you leave Smith out of your list of TE/WR's any reason? There was a thread on here extolling his talents not so long ago, I always thought it was Chase people were talking about last year in prep for this years draft.

I have no real problem with Sewel either but not at guard and I would still be worried at the potential of having to pay them both LT money to keep them happy, which despite what the other guy thinks will be a hindrance in less than 5 years when the need to offer new deals comes about.

It was also interesting to read your POV on the QB's and selecting Lance as your want, a few people seem to be hitching themselves to that train atm.

#256 K'OB, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

On PFT, Peter King was rambling on about something, when he brought up Charles Haley. Drafted in the 3rd round out of James Madison by Bill Walsh, Bill was asked "Why on earth would you draft a guy without a great college career out of a non-powerhouse like James Madison????"

Bill's answer was: "I got to see Charles play. And he made some incredible tackles/moves you almost never see in college. Not a lot, but some. So I know his mind and body is capable of making these plays. My job is to coach him so plays that only happened once in a while, happen all the time".

Charles Haley is now in the Hall of Fame.

So back to Sam. I can use the same philosophy with him. He's made outstanding, incredible throws that 99% of QB can't make, or won't even try to make. Not a lot, but some. So I know Sam's mind and body is capable of making these plays, which puts him miles ahead. It's the job of our coaches to work with Sam and make those great throws the norm. He CAN do it. Make it the norm!

barfolomew likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Zach Wilson is a great prospect with an injury history. That makes him middle to late 1st round material. If he gets down there the Jets probably will find a way to take him.

On the #2?

You'd have to hold a gun to JD's head to get him to make that pick and even then he'd probably just tell you to go ahead and shoot.

KurtTheJetsFan and barfolomew like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

then why did JD's best friend and former college teammate Todd McShay have the Jets taking Wilson saying he's at a level higher than anyone else at 2?

Are they working together to blow smoke you think?

20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Great points, i think wilson is a reach, I'm really wooried we are going to blow the #2 on a reach and be sitting in a pile of shit once again.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.