Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That scenario is basically a 50/50 shot. I would take those odds. What are the odds that the Jets new QB will have the same odds of being successful in the NFL.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless they can get at least a high second for Darnold, they should keep him and draft Wilson (or whomever JD likes the best) to sit and learn behind him. But I hope they at least do draft his successor this year.

azhar80 likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There is statistically about a 60% chance a QB drafted in the top 5 will become a long term starter. There is about a 5-10% chance a QB who starts his career like Darnold will ever become average.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

NCJetsfan and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Darnold may have an advantage in learning the new offense since he has been in the NFL and already learned two offenses, but the rookie's learning curve (not curb) will not be nearly as steep as Darnold's in other ways. Wilson, Fields and Lance are all more accurate than Darnold and don't turn the ball over like he does. All have been playing QB longer than Darnold has, so probably know more about playing the position of QB, and none of them have the footwork issues that Darnold has. I think all three probably will read Ds better and quicker than Darnold and make better decisions.

Just getting better isn't good enough. We should be trying to find an elite QB, not settling for someone who may be able to become average. Hostetler and Dilfer played in a totally different era than now. The QB position has become even more important. Darnold's one brilliant play every 4-5 games doesn't make up for all the poor decisions, bad reads, inaccurate throws that lead to punts, and TOs. We need a QB who can help us score points consistently and who can direct a score from anywhere on the field.

REVISion likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

My analysis is all over this thread and site. I like Fields. I think he has all the tools and had it not been for two bad games (psst.. Lawrence had 3-4 in 2019), he would've been the no doubt pick at #2. Lawrence had more games in a normal year to work through his early struggles. Fields did not.

@boozer32 - this did not quite your post correctly for some reason.

6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Is feilds worth the number two pick? We could trade the two for an assload of picks or draft powell at two and have an indestructible oline.

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I know that my opinion is in the minority here but if I am drafting a QB this year it is Lance. I am trading back a few slots and going with Lance around 5 to 7 give or take a few. Lance can move in and out of the pocket better than any QB this year, he has a cannon for an arm, and he can utilize his legs with ease.

The issue I have is Wilson and Lance are 1 year wonders. Something about Fields scares me away from him all together. I view Lance as a mix of Cam and Josh Allen that can be molded into exactly what we need. If we compare Lance's and Wilson's one year its not even close. Lance comes out on top on a lot of stats. While neither QB played what we would consider hard schedules, they also didnt have elite level talent around them.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We would have two left tackles, which one are you overpaying to be the right tackle?

plus at the end of their rookie deals, we couldn't afford to keep them both, so seems a bit pointless tbh.

NCJetsfan, PJ4Ever and barfolomew like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

5-7 is a high pick for Lance imo, I have no doubt he will go top 10 but I would have been happier to use the #23 or one of the picks we trade out of the #2 for say around 15-18 or so, just trying to grab as much value as I can lol

I feel he will need to sit the full season, maybe playing some garbage time reps. ( not that this would be a bad thing for a change.)

10. barfolomew

Fair points

K'OB likes this.
  11. REVISion

What good is an indestructible OL when you currently employ the worst QB from a clean pocket in the NFL?

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  12. barfolomew

It will give him a lot of time to be terrible

NCJetsfan, K'OB and REVISion like this.
  13. REVISion

What?

Lance's best college season:

66.9% completion
    9.7 Y/A
    28 TD's
    0 INT's
    180.6 passer rating

Wilson's best college season:

73.5% completion
    11.0 Y/A
    33 TD's
    3 INT's
    196.4 passer rating

14. blackssmagic

In the beginning I thought Lance would go mid teens but now I think he is top 10 for sure. I think we can safely trade back to the 5-7 range and still get him that is if we are dead set on taking a QB

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. blackssmagic

Dont forget rushing yards and TD's

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. REVISion

I tend to think passing is more important for a QB but that's just me.

I'll bite, though. Lance had more yards per attempt rushing while Wilson had more TD's per attempt rushing. The argument that "their stats weren't even close" is off base, regardless.

17. i think he can play early & have good success if surrounded properly w the right formula.

Give him a Good running game which he can contribute to, limit his exposure to 7 step drops/multiple progressions but find some balance w letting him take shots down the field/letting him loose. Hes very efficient,doesnt make mental errors & has the dynamic elements to still make big plays while still being developed. Part i like the best & why he might flourish early? Hes nearly unstoppable in the RZ. He’ll convert TDs if the O can get him inside the 20.Directly the opposite for most other rookie QBs.

18. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

It’s not a fair point. Quit giving stupid people the OK to be stupid.

barfolomew likes this.
  19. barfolomew

While i disagree with you that @K'OB is stupid and theat he isn't making fair points, your post honestly made me laugh.

alleycat9 likes this.
  20. blackssmagic

Lance had I think 1,100 yards rushing. Wilson had 280 yards I think. Me personally the ability to trade back, accumulate more picks and still draft Lance outweighs drafting Wilson at 2. Wilson also has had extensive medical red flags if my memory is correct. At 6'2" and 215 on a good day he will get destroyed behind our O line.

BacktoQueens likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.