Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The first part is just not true.

As for the second part, I don't think you've really looked at the prospects if that's your conclusion. The advanced metrics have Fields fairly highly rated and Wilson very highly rated, with some of them claiming he's an even better prospect than Lawrence.

You also ignored my point that it's very likely we won't draft at #2 again next year.

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I get that, wasn't meant to be a dig at you, just a comment on how averages can be deceiving.

The Waterboy likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I've been on this site for 20 years and i see the statement i posted just about every year. Maybe not 2013.

You know we can post a long list of QBs that were supposed to be can't miss and they end up crashing and burning. Especially if they get thrown in with a terrible supporting cast. We've seen it plenty just on the Jets let alone the other teams.

If, as I said, they are able to trade back, they have 2 1st round picks next year, maybe more with the trade down this year. You build up the o line and wr position this year and have at least 2 1st rd picks next to move up if need be. Your view is that Darnold is so terrible, how far down do you see them picking if Darnold is the starter? Surely they won't be picking outside the top 10 if he is that bad.

chandler, ukjetsfan, Br4d and 3 others like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean we got to 7-9 with Darnold and Gase so a defense and running game can carry a team down the draft board against a weak schedule in any given year even if it becomes a mirage.

Keeping Darnold has inherent risk that hasn't really been explored either in terms of Fields vs. Wilson vs. Darnold. If we decide to not take a quarterback and roll the Darnold dice, it could nip us if one of the two or Lance end up becoming players.

That's not to say we'd automatically pick the correct one because of course we're the Jets and likely wouldn't.

Borat, ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  5. REVISion

Picking merely inside the top 10 means you will likely get the 3rd best QB prospect or worse. You generally need to pick top 3-4 for a chance at the second best QB prospect. We have our pick of any of the prospects other than the clear #1 in Lawrence this year. It would be crazy to forgo that opportunity in the hopes we'll be in a better place next draft.

Bellys Lies, NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Ever since that Patriots game with the ghosts his confidence has completely crumbled. Even the 2 games we won this year he wasn’t very good in.. his throwing motion is long, his football awareness is sub par and most of all he hold on to the ball for way too long with very little anticipation.

It’s a huge problem.. If we don’t trade him now we won’t get anything for him next year.. it will be a Mitch Trubisky situation

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a lot of truth in what you're saying. Every year there's going to be a couple of decent FQB prospects we can't say that if we don't pick one this year we'll never have another chance.

That said, while I haven't been posting here as long as you, I have been following the Jets for almost 60 years, and they've been terrible at identifying FQBs, regardless of where they pick. What that leads me to think is that with that handicap they're better off drafting one at the top of the board - top 3 picks. I recognize that doesn't guarantee success either - Darnold is Exhibit A - but they haven't ever shown any ability to identify great QB prospects later in the 1st or subsequent rounds. Whereas some teams seem to be able to do that much better.

Along with this is the fact that no matter what, they're not going to rebuild the entire team in one off season. But they will likely make a good bit of progress this year. So with that in mind, I think it's smart to take advantage of their unique draft position this year and grab a FQB - assuming Douglas believes one of them fits that criteria. Then with that locked up, next year they can complete the job, and their drafted QB should be ready to step in and run the team.

Borat and zace like this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Apparently members of this board have foresight and already know that Fields, Wilson, and Lance will bust.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You're right, he's not just terrible, he's Geno level bad.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

As well as the other members that believe in their unprofessional opinion Wilson or Fields is the answer. There's only one sure thing and it's Watson. Other than that I will let the professionals do their jobs evaluating the prospects. If they think one of Fields or Wilson is the answer than great if not don't waste a #2 pick on them. Simple.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. REVISion

Believe it or not there are many websites that offer analysis of draft prospects, many of which make their living doing so. They have Fields and Wilson rated pretty highly. We're not just pulling opinions out of thin air with nothing to back them up like Darnold defenders are.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I understand but maybe certain players are better fits for different systems/teams and other variables those sites may consider. I'm not a Darnold truther either but if we go with him I will trust JD made the right decision. Likew9if we take Wilson/Fields.

13. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I find this QB class quite mediocre. I feel there will be a high % of bust in this year draft class once it's all said and done.

I never believe in poor or good year to draft a QB.

14. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

They might or might not but they all have many more flaws than you would want in a FQB.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's OK, we don't have to agree. As long as JD still drafted a QB at #2, I agree that he wouldn't be risking his career, but if he decides to roll with Sam, trades down from #2 for a haul of picks and then doesn't take a QB, he is definitely putting both his and Saleh's careers in jeopardy imo.

Borat, bicketybam and REVISion like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I don't think that it's necessary to sign a FA QB who has proven he can play in NY, nor that has some familiarity with the players likely to be on the roster. Since when are those prerequisites for signing a FA? Tyrod Taylor made $5.5 million this past season. Andy Dalton's market value is $6.8 million according to Spotrac. Colt McCoy made $2.25 million. Ryan Fitzpatrick made $5.5 million this past season. Joe Flacco made $1.5 million.

IMO nothing can be gained by holding onto the "known" when it is Sam Darnold. I don't think that he needs to play this coming season. I think his best chance at resuscitating his career is for a team to take a long-term approach with him and sign him for 5 years. Tell him that they plan to sit him this year. In year 2 his contract will be for a reasonable amount with easily achievable incentives if he wins the starting job and an escalator that would kick in in year 3 of the contract. I would like to see Sam suceed elsewhere. He's a good kid. I'm not sure he can, but think he has little chance if he plays in 2021, especially if he's playing for the Jets. There would just be too much pressure.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I might agree with you if they hired someone as coach that could fix Darnold. But they didn't.

They hired a defensive coach and a young kid to run the offense. I am not criticizing the hire, I'm simply saying Saleh/LaFleur dont have what it takes to 'fix' Sam Darnold. Best to move on. Let someone else pay us for a chance at the Sam Darnold project

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

This is definitely flawed logic. Teams need to take a QB when they have the most realistic chance of getting a QB who can become a FQB, i.e., when they're really bad and drafting in the top 5-10, and don't have to burn a ton of draft capital to trade up. Teams can build around a QB. Yes, the HC and CS might not be very good, but generally when teams are so awful, the HC and CS are replaced, so they have a chance with the new HC and CS to get it right. Two wrongs don't make a right. That's what you're saying that teams should do (make an intentional mistake) because the HC they just hired might be a mistake.

Borat and REVISion like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

You and the others may have to trust the process, but I don't. I think that would be a colossal mistake, and it would prove to me that Douglas and Saleh are not the right men to lead the Jets to the Promised Land.

20. NCJetsfan

Then you either haven't watched game film and analysis of Wilson, Fields, Lance and maybe Jones and haven't watched the QBs who could be in next year's draft or read any analysis of them, or just don't know .good QB play when you see it. Being a Jets fan, that's understandable. This class is light years better than next year's class. There are bad QB classes. Take a look ath the last 10-15 years of draft history. There are definitely years when there aren't any QBs who become FQBs, and there are years where maybe there's 1-2 really good QBs and the rest suck. Then there are years like this year where as many as 6 QBs could go in the first 40 picks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.