Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If they make the decision to stick with Sam or are basing their future on "hope," then imo neither is the right man for the job, and the Jets will be starting all over again when both are fired in 2-3 years.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only part I slightly disagree with is that JD would be risking his career on keeping Darnold and trying to resurrect him. Yes, I think he'd be better off somewhere else - SF? - but IDK if he can't be resurrected for certain here, at least good enough to hold the fort until the new QB comes up to speed. If they can get a low first or a high second for him I think they should grab it, but if not, he might be more valuable as the place holder.

Imagesrdecieving, Noam and ouchy like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Starting a rebuild by using the #2 pick on a QB that busts is way more of a risk for JD then rebuilding around Sam this season.

4. NCJetsfan

That's not what Revision is doing. I think you're the one with the fallacious thinking in thinking that the majority of Sam's problem is shitty coaching and talent around him. Those are definitely big factors, but I think it is more like 50-50. IMO while Sam has a lot of physical talent and ability, he is extremely short on football IQ, fire, leadership, mental toughness, and the "it" factor. IMO the truth is that he was never the great prospect he was hyped to be. We all bought into that hype and hoped beyond hope that he could be our FQB and the best QB we've had since Namath. If he had Chad Pennington's mental abilities, he could be great, but imo the clear truth is that he doesn't. Some of his flaws are things that no 4th year QB in the NFL should possess, and really no top ten QB prospect in the draft should possess.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I think it totally unwise to keep Sam with the idea of his starting or even competing for the starting job.

No one has said that Darnold had good conditions to play in. IMO your bolded sentence above is mistaken, and uses faulty logic. It doesn't prove any such thing.

Borat, matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

How could he be more valuable as a placeholder? The Jets would have to pay him $10 million for the 2021 season. They could sign a veteran FA QB for less than that. IMO Sam has little or no chance of playing well for the Jets in 2021. I think he needs a change of scenery and most likely to sit for a year or at least half a year and focus on fixing his flaws rather than playing and feeling pressure to produce and win. With multiple teams interested in him now, they are certain to get more than the bottom of the 3rd round compensatory pick for him in 2022.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. By sticking with Darnold it leaves all the other 1st round QB's open to the possibility of becoming successful with another team. It's not just like one guy. There would be 4 chances of this happening. And if any one of the guys Douglas passes up succeeds while Darnold doesn't, it curtains for him. I'd want him run out if town.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Borat, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

You may be right - no one is literally saying that Darnold's 3 years of failure were all his fault, but you were definitely implying that (as have most of the Darnold haters). No "straw man" here.

And you have no idea of how much better he might be in a much better situation. Look at last night and how average Mahomes looked in conditions similar to (but still with much better weapons) than Darnold has had. A QB can go from looking great to terrible or vice versa depending on the conditions he's playing in. And no, I'm not saying Darnold will be great, but the impact of the coaching and talent is far greater than you and the rest of Hate Darnold Club acknowledge that that's what the "nonsense" is..

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I guess I believe that Douglas has enough knowledge and experience to know this and he won't make this decision lightly. So if he does use the #2 pick on a QB, I believe he thinks that has a high degree of probability for success.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

What your saying is if we dont draft a QB this season you want JD gone.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Who do you think they can get for much less than $10 million who has at least proven he can play in NY and has some familiarity with the players likely to be on the roster? I'm not saying they can't get someone a little cheaper, but they might not, so worst case, holding onto a "known" might be better than counting an "unknown" even if they can save a few bucks.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Why don't you consider the possibility that Sam has been making everyone around him look worse than they are this whole time? QB's play a part in taking sacks, they play a part in WR's looking good, they play a part in making coaches look good. We have evidence to prove all of those things.

Most QB's taken early end up on bad teams. The stats show that a QB who starts his career like Darnold (many of which were on terrible teams) has about a 5-10% chance of ever becoming an average starter. That stat involves dozens of different QB's. Is your argument really that Sam has been in SUCH a bad situation that he's likely to be the exception to that rule? If so, do you give him twice as good a chance as the average QB from that stat? Maybe a 10-20% chance of becoming average? It's still not good enough/likely enough.

Again, there is SO much evidence to believe that Darnold won't ever be good enough that you are relying on blind hope if you think he will. That's not my opinion, that's fact.

You don't run a team on blind hope. It would be incredibly stupid.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Except the #2 pick may not bust...

Borat, REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

I've not only considered the possibility that Darnold has contributed to problems of the team, I've stated it more than once. Of course he's part of the problem, and I've never absolved him of blame. Nor have I ever stated emphatically that he can be the FQB. I HAVE said that he still has that potential, if not here, then somewhere else. Where I'm taking issue with you and the other Darnold Haters is that you're so convinced that he can't be a "good enough" QB because of the 3 year record for which he only has a portion of responsibility.

As to the bold, and not to be snarky, but do you have those stats? I'd love to see them. I'd also love to see what the odds are of a QB who lands on a good team are of success. And if those stats are correct, then it really shows that those teams shouldn't ever draft a QB until they've rebuilt themselves, which would mean that teh Jets should also pass on drafting a QB this year.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Pretty much. To not address the QB situation would be a grave mistake. I believe the chances of Darnold being fixed with the Jets are less than one of the 1st round QB's not becoming successful. I could live with him taking a shot and not nailing the right one over him not taking any.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I think the only thing we can definitely say with any certainty is that Darnold has been unable to elevate his personal level of play above the level of talent and coaching he has had to date in the NFL. Darnold may be responsible for the talent and coaching appear worse than it has been. The coaching and talent may have dragged Darnold's play down too. He's been the worst starting QB in the league over the last three years, but he's had the worst talent and coaching around him over that period too. What you do from here depends on which side of the fence you sit and whether you think he can be better with better talent and coaching, and then what that his ceiling is.

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Things that are said just about every year, "QB class will not be as good next year".
    Besides Lawrence i don't see that any QB this year that would definitely stand out against next year's class.

17. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I disagree completely. I will take Fields college production, against great competition, over, Wilson. All Day.

I like, Wilson. I don't think he Is the better of the two. Especially with the injury concerns lingering.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I responded to a post that brought average cap hit into it, i just gave him the correct numbers.

19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Most here seem to think that JD is the right man for the job.
    The majority also think the Jets nailed it with the hire of Saleh and his staff.

These 2 know hell of a lot more than anyone on this board and if they decide the best course of action is to stick with Darnold next year then we have to trust the process and that they know what they are doing.

I think some people need to a get a grip on that is a real possibility.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I can't find them but I distinctly remember the conclusions. I believe it was a study done by PFF or Football Outsiders, I saw it in tweet form. It basically had a range of probabilities for Sam becoming average or above average. Above average was a 5% chance and I think average was a 10% chance. Maybe someone else saw it also and has it on hand.

NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.