Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This has been my thinking, trade back from 2, add picks this year and maybe some next year, build up around Darnold. If he doesn't show improvement they already have 2 firsts next year, which if Darnold does not get better the 1st pick would probably be top 10, can used next year for a QB after building up the other positions this draft, Bringing in Juszczyk FB and Garland C in FA from San Fran would also help the transition to the new system.

hornblower and boozer32 like this.
  2. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You are correct because I included the 5.4M Prorated Bonus for those years which the Texans will have to take care of due to the signing bonus. Late-night dotage on my part.

But 27.5M plus potentially giving up quite a few picks still seems a bit steep.

3. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this post.
    Almost everyone loved Sam coming into last year.

I was not happy with how he regressed this past year. But he was on a garbage roster, No receivers, offensive line in flux, and worst coaching and scheme in NFL.

I saw a lot of Justin Fields, and I want no part of him. All the unofficial Jet reporters on Twitter putting out article after article that Fields is better than Sam was in college is comical.

Much rather trade down, get more picks, and build around Sam and give him this year.

amuck57, azhar80, ouchy and 1 other person like this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Hard pass, he’s done here. 3 years of being the worst ranked QB in the league is enough

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Excellent point.

Somebody posted the formerly hapless Buffalo Bills draft results the last 4 or 5 years in another thread. They have been kicking ass with just wave after wave of solid B+ to A- every draft and whalla.... Now they are making deep playoff runs. Imagine that.

The Jets first priority is to hit in or near the bullseye on as many of these draft picks as possible. If they can do that success will follow along.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like the BYU QB but I would stay far away from Fields. He should not be an option for the Jets.

Jets79, azhar80 and zace like this.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Sure, Sam physically looks the part but there's probably a hunded thousand americans who fit that profile, a thousand who had it since pee-wee football and had the dedication and support or drive to carry it through to at least high school where a hundred or so were considered good enough to play at a college level. Less then a dozen then make it through to the pro's and only a precious couple of them have the mental ability to be a FQB.

In the pantheon of Jet QB's I'd rank him marginally above Geno in the physically wow! but dumb as feck category.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They also need to retain their good free agents. Douglas blew it by not bringing Robbie Anderson back. His contract was afforable.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

If anyone is paying attention Douglas said he was going to build inside out. The idea that he would blow it up by trading for a high priced QB is silly. He will add quality players in FA and draft some more. Trading down is more likely than not.

10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I want no part of sam, hes a bust. But i def agree with the college argument. Fields was just on a more talented team. Hes just Sam version lite. If thats the case and you dont want wilson, stick with Sam. I think the fact that they havent picked up the 5th year option tells you everything you need to know.

That still doesnt preclude them from keeping him & drafting a qb. Ultimately i think sam will be traded after wentz.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well they have until May 3rd to make a decision on his fifth year option. So it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to pick it up now without feeling out the market first.

Pags2112, Jets79, NYJFOREVER and 2 others like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Which posters assumed I made this thread when they saw the title? :D

Seriously though, @Murrell2878 is right. Building around Sam is one of the viable paths the Jets have. I just don't believe they will do that. I get the feeling they are starting fresh with Wilson or Fields.

Jets_Grinch and boozer32 like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully, but totally, disagree. I don't think the system would suit Sam well. Parts of it would, but others would not (play action, throwing from a clean pocket, and pushing the ball downfield). I think it would be at least a year, maybe two, before Sam would turn into a winning QB, and even then he probably needs to sit for at least a half season if not a whole season. His footwork needs to be overhauled and he needs top learn to read the D. Even then, I question his leadership and mental toughness.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The argument against Sam for me is that he’s gonna need to get paid after this year.

If you can get a 1st round pick (which some think is possible), then you trade him. You can sign 2 solid lineman with the money saved on a starting Qb salary.

Draft Wilson and with all the draft capital the Jets have acquired, do something they failed to do with Darnold, build a solid team around your young signal caller.

15. NCJetsfan

It's not that simple (the bold). So, they're going to risk wasting a year of the rebuild with Sam, and if he succeeds then have to re-sign him and probably pay more than he's worth. More than likely, he will not succeed, and by all appearances at this point next year is not a very good draft for QBs. This year is a great draft for QBs. JD would be a fool to pass up on taking a QB this year and wait until next year. That would be a fireable offense. If he does decide to give Sam one more chance, then he still HAS to draft a QB with the #2 pick. They can take a QB at #2 and they still have plenty of draft picks and cap space with which to build around him so that he has weapons and isn't running for his life.

16. NCJetsfan

No, he wouldn't. I totally disagree.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

People loved him because they weren't ready to admit the golden boy just wasn't that good. He was horrendous this year but he wasn't very good his first two years either. Our fans, by and large, massively overrated Sam until it became blatantly obvious this year that he sucks. He has the worst passer rating of any starter in the NFL over his first three seasons. It wasn't just this year. I'm sorry but you just weren't paying attention if you thought he was good even prior to this year.

So hope for a miraculous improvement from Sam and if not, pick a QB next year when we'll likely have a worse pick and the QB class isn't as strong as this year? No.

18. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't. With QB being the most important position, and Watson being a top 3 QB in the NFL, that IS building from the inside out. I totally disagree.

19. NCJetsfan

I agree with everything except keep Sam if they don't like Wilson, and that Fields is Sam lite. That's a ridiculous take imo. Fields has a stronger, more accurate arm, is more athletic, throws a better, more accurate deep ball, and has more leadership and fire in his pinky than Sam has in his whole body.

All Gas No Shake, zace and REVISion like this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's true but generally these options are picked up. They traded jamal and i believe they picked his up way before that.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.