Todd Bowles is going to the Superbowl!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Feb 2, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm going to guess that their agents have something to do with it.

JetBlue likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Probably right. I just can't imagine there's a big difference in quality of living making $22 million a year with endorsements piled on top versus $29 million a year with endorsements piled on top. As long as they don't act like Antoine Walker or Adrian Peterson, they'll be fine. Not to mention the endorsement possibilities for guys that have three rings versus one.

What do us plebieans know though, right?

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Mahomes was never going to get to six SB’s; that talking point has been ridiculous. He’s easily one of the most incredible QB’s I’ve ever seen play, if not the most incredible, but that type of prolonged success Brady has had is simply not something any other player could ever be expected to accomplish.

but this loss for the Chiefs feels similar to another budding dynasty going for 2 straight Super Bowl’s against Brady; that team has never gotten back to that level.

the Chiefs may win another 2 or 3 with Mahomes and that will be an incredible feat; they would go down in history with the other greatest teams like the 70’s Steelers, 80’s 49ers and 90’s Cowboys. But the idea that they could challenge Brady’s 20 year run of success has simply been silly, even had they won yesterday.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

They can't all be married to trillionaire supermodels.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's not like Ciara is broke, although not Giselle rich. But point well taken.

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And Brady's not done!

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Good for Bowles. He was able to hold down a juggernaut to 9 points and forced Mahomes to run for his life like we've never seen before. Since the 1st quarter of their regular season meeting, his D held that Chiefs O to 19 points in 7 quarters. I have no clue if he'll get another HC job or not, but he's a very capable DC and someone once can respect as a person.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ur so right. Mahomes might need to get to 12 rings to top Brady when all's said and done...

9. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You make some good points. But I always felt that judging anyone by their SB record is flawed. A more clutch measurement would be a playoff record since if you lose, you are out. Montana's playoff record is 16-7 which is pretty good. Brady's playoff record is 34-11 which is a bit better than Montana.

If you look at many of the QB stats like TDs or Passing Yards in a season, Brady has the edge. However, this is sort of not a fair comparison because Montana played in an era where QBs took more punishment and the rules did not favor the passing game like today. There is no way Brady would have lasted this long if he had to deal with the 85 Bears or the 86 Giants defense for example. Just like Mahomes and Rodgers are more talented than Brady; I thought Marino and Elway were more talented than Montanna. So the most talented QB doesn't always get the win.

Mahomes is like a modern-day Frank Tarkenton on steroids. Both of them can wear down a defense with their ability to scramble around the pocket. However, Mahomes has a much better arm. But all that running will definitely not last more than 10 years for Mahomes. As he gets older he will have to be more of a pocket passer, who will not be able to run around for 500 yards like the SB game last night.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

well said + i agree with a lot you wrote.
    So hard to compare different eras of Qb’s. While reading the playoff record of Montana vs Brady... my general thought was, there wasn’t as much qb favoritism back in Montana’s time and refs did not determine (or at least heavily influence) outcomes the way they do today. A 16-7 record back then is probably just as hard to attain vs a 34-11 record today...

Marino was the best natural thrower of the football ever imo...