Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If JD can get a 1 for sam he’ll be the best GM we’ve ever had at trades. Heck I’d take a 2nd... he’s not going be worth anything next year.

When is the deadline for the 5th year option because I’m sure whoever trades for him will want the deal done before them.

2. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Without rehashing my feeling that "Sam's played horribly, but it's because the Jets have failed him" coupled with the "can he be fixed?" argument...I seriously cannot help but feeling that if Darnold was on another team that failed him, and with the coaching staff/offense we now have, we'd be one of the teams looking into trading for him with the thought that he's fixable....which is the thing that pains me throughout this whole process. Every player can be traded if the return exceeds the value the player has for his current team, so I'd never say "don't trade him"...especially while having the #2 pick, which means options for the Jets at the QB position. But man, I seriously already have buyers remorse on the return for Darnold vs. what a good team might be able to do with him (like the 49ers)...If he ends up in Washington, it will pain me less as they're an inept org that won't find a way to bring out his best. I also feel terrible for Darnold, just a 23yr old kid whose employer has seriously failed him, and hope at the end of the day he ends up in a place that develops him as there's talent there for sure, while of course maximizing the return for the Jets...

themorey, Noam, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  3. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

Totally agreed...while this doesn't mean Sam will be great going forward as who really knows, I feel pretty strongly we may never know...unless/until it's too late, meaning if some other team trades for him and develops him that will be the worst thing for the Jets...and if some team trades for him and he doesn't improve, I feel pretty strongly it's because the Jets killed him from the start....You don't regress from yr1 to yr3 this sharply because his talent disappeared...you regress this sharply because the team's talent regressed horribly, he got battered, lost confidence and received some of the most historically bad coaching in the history of the NFL.

SOJAZ, MoWilkBeast and BroadwayAaron like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets trade Darnold they need to get something real out of it.

Right now he's a cheap option at QB for 2021 to couple with a rookie and have a real competition in the new system. If the Jets trade him they're just going to have the rookie and Morgan and maybe a washed up vet in the room in camp and that's nowhere near what having Darnold, the rookie and Morgan would be.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Jason MacIsaac

If you get 19th overall for Darnold and a 3rd, you do this in a second. This gives you the opportunity to get EDGE and CB, two areas of weakness before you hit the 2nd round. Jaycee Horn at 23 is my ideal pick, you may reach a with Joseph Ossai at 19 but fills a massive need.

6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Teams seem to really be willing to throw draft capital around. Hopefully Rhule liked Sam in his interviews here, because Carolina really looks like they are ready to push chips - I can't believe DET didn't jump on that. Also, LOLOLOLOL at the Lions opening request from LA.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The 5th year option is optional, he won't be offered it even if we keep him next season, a contract may get offered if he is playing well but it won't be for 25m a year.

If doesn't want to sign what is offered then he will go to FA where he will find nobody else willing to pay him 25m a year either.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If there weren't so many ?'s around Sam's future, life would be SOOOO much simpler for JD. He'd already have his QB, and could start building an empire with his bounty of premium draft picks. This might still be the path he choses for the Jets.

Br4d and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It wouldn't be a shock

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That was his plan when he took the job, I am sure. The plan still works pretty well if they get a 1st Round pick for Sam. Then you still have a bounty of premium picks, just drop a little value by replacing the #2 pick with a late 1st round pick. Gain cap space though. Not an issue if the QB picked at #2 is great, of course. So the plan will still be in pretty good shape, unless he trades it all away for Watson, which seems more and more unlikely.

Jets79 and Footballgod214 like this.
  11. Footballgod214

I hear ya, but when you're building an empire from the ground up, that #2 overall pick is worth salivating over. That could be a top dominating WR like Devonta Smith, or a shut down corner like Darrell Revis, or a home wrecker like Lawrence Taylor....on and on. I get he may need to blow it on a rookie QB with question marks. I get it. But DAMN! How sweet it would be to have ALL that draft cap to start bringing in the dogs, all on rookie contracts! Like Seattle's The Legion of BOOM. All rookies brought in on a great draft day. I'd LOVE to have THAT kind of draft day.

#371 Footballgod214, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Sam fucked himself with god awful play and being outplayed by a 37 year old QB way past his prime. Teams also were willing to give up a 1st and actually did for a stiff like Josh Rosen. Sam is ruined. Other teams false hope is the Jets gain. Let them learn the hard way. The Jets will be laughing all the way to the bank if a team is dumb enough to trade a 1st for him.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Mahomes has a makeshift line and still produces, so why does sam get that excuse? Hey if that's what they think, let them take him.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Making your point using the best QB currently in the NFL doesn't really work... but I get your point.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Actually it does, because supposedly Darnold is that good.

But you get the gist. Obviously hes not good enough if he needs a great oline and pro bowl everything

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Don't really need much of an oline when the defense is forced to double team all your weapons. No one left to blitz!

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Theyve brought pressure all game without double teaming all the weapons. In fact tampa has mostly played zone.

18. Footballgod214

Which is exactly why you will never be a GM. Heck, you will never even be a GM assistant. They would never let you in the building!

19. Footballgod214

LOL just felt like bumping this....

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I really dont think you have any cred since you didnt even know tampa mostly plays zone. Footballgod....you are not

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.