Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Sure. but if we're right that TL is the end all and be all we have 30 mill of cap space or so we don't have with Watson choice. that could be a big Plus

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I included Lamar as a good QB who may have peaked, just shy of what is needed to de-throne Mahomes. If a GM goes with Lamar, he will probably never win a SB ring. Josh Allen is getting close to this too. He may have peaked just a bit too low to take as a 5yr FQB.

3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i don't know but i see these posts that new coach is an ego maniac. He might like Justin Fields an awful lot, and all of sudden he can get some other key assets too

i mean we have people suggesting trading the #2 and like 3 or 4 other 1s to get Watson so we can pay Watson 30+ in a year or so.

Maybe Jacksonville sees Fields plus several other assets (also on rookie scale) as more valuable than TL

4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It’s definitely worth a call just based on Meyer’s OSU connection. I doubt Jacksonville would do it, but I’m sure JD will ask

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

But he DID explicitly say his opinion changed when he saw Stafford trade. Now you continue to twist things just to argue. Listen, you want to credit his opinion based on events like Stafford trade or other things everyone else is aware of and not insider info, and think it has more weight than thoughts on this board, you go ahead. We will have to agree to disagree. But you did take offense in a specific context of him saying Sam for a first rounder, so let's not wiggle out and come back here when this trade is made to see how much weight it really held.

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That 59M dead cap hit is in 2021, which wouldn't matter because he'd play for us in 2021.

2022 has his dead cap at 24.5 with 6.7 in savings if he is a pre-June 1st cut.

I believe the pre/post June 1 cuts have to do with roster bonuses and such.

7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

100% agreed. I wouldn't give up anything more than #23 for him. Trade #23 for Wentz and move down from 2 to like 5-8 range and take BPA at WR or CB. It's definitely not my preferred option but it can be a viable one.

With that being said, I don't think JD will do it, but if he does, the meltdown from Jets fans will be insane.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I've twisted nothing and have never said that Sam will for a 100% fact be traded for what Schefter said just that we shouldn't dismiss what he said as wild speculation which is what you seem to be inclined to do.

I believe you're correct, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'll be more than happy to follow back up on you with this one if/when Sam gets traded. As the great philosopher Bartholomew Scott once said, "can't wait".

9. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The Jets can’t tiptoe this. Stafford and Goff are off the board and Wentz could be coming soon.

They need to make their choice to either keep him or move him soon.

REVISion likes this.
  10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Would make perfect sense considering the talk around NY about how good Sam would fit into a Shanahan offense.

ColoradoContrails and BudJet like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think this is an excellent match, and a strong possibility, especially since Saleh and LaFleur have come here - them being able to get a much closer look at Darnold could convince SF to trade for him.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that would perhaps be the best shot that Sam has at fulfilling his potential. Not only would he be home where he feels more comfortable, but I think perhaps other than Andy Reid or Bruce Arians, Shanahan might be the best HC for Sam at this stage of his career. I hope that will come to fruition. The Jets would get a better pick if he was traded to the Panthers, but Matt Rhule has come across as a bit of an asshole in how he has spoken about Bridgewater, and I don't think it would be a good spot for Sam.

14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

49ers receive: Darnold & #23

Jets receive: #12

Based on the antiquated draft value chart, that values Sam as a the 46th pick in the draft, or a mid 2nd rounder.

You could also play this game with Carolina (Darnold & #23 for #8), which values Sam as the 29th pick in the draft, or a late 1st rounder.

And even Indy (Darnold & #34 for #21), which values Sam as the 70th pick, or a high 3rd rounder OR (Darnold & #66 for #21) which values Same as the 36th pick in the draft, or a high 2nd rounder.

Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I'd prefer to get an additional pick or two for Darnold, not lose one, even if the received pick back is higher. I'd prefer to keep the #23 and get a high first or a second for him. Also, I don't think SF would give up the #12 even if they got Darnold and the #23.

BudJet, Jonathan_Vilma and REVISion like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam on the 49ers would be awesome. It gives him a great chance to succeed, and I can still cheer for him as he is in the NFC. I like @Snatch Catch's idea of a Darnold and #23 swap for the #12 pick too. Not sure JD or SF would do that though. Seems unlikely.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I LOVE the creative thinking!!! I hope that JD is thinking creatively.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is how you want your players to come off on the radio.

It's the guys who try to inject a little personality into the conversation that also eventually say something really stupid that hurts the franchise.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I could see the 49ers offering Garoppolo for Darnold. Would make a big difference on their cap and save them the hard call on cutting Garoppolo for cap space later in the year.

Garoppolo would be a more proven QB for Saleh to install the new offense around. He'd also be a good vet to have around a QB pick on the #23.

20. ColoradoContrails

That's an interesting idea, even if I don't want Garoppolo. I could see this happening and maybe working since Saleh and LaFleur know him so well. If they did do this, I'd take a QB (Wilson is my preference) at #2 and let him sit and learn behind JG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.