The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Whether you intended it or not your post comes off like someone who thinks racism is a relic of a bygone era.

Fiftynine and Catfish Billy like this.
  2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Excellent post from the Houston perspective.

The cap situation is one that is being glossed over by a lot of people here (myself included.) If you pay your qb, you damn well better hit on your draft picks or you are screwed. If the cap keeps rising, you can miss here and there, but if it goes down, you are done, and unable to compete. It is just that simple.

I do think that if theybmove him it will have to be before the draft, however. There is just no way they can pass up on replacing Watson with a good crop of qbs available - AND getting one signed with 2021 cap numbers.

I do think that a first and a player is less than they will get, though. Someone will pay. They always do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not at all what I meant. I think that people of older generations are/were much more emboldened to say disgusting racist things than incoming generations, even if you believe that racism hasn't improved in this country since then. Is that fair to say?

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

NCJetsfan and JetsNation06 like this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[

This is very insightful, I’m sure there are other QB needy teams like the Steelers that are quietly watching to see what happens and if the price is right they might do the unthinkable and trade away draft capital for Watson and he wouldn’t have to wait for team to be built up from being a bottom dweller.

I don’t believe that’s the Steeler way of building a team but with Ben pretty much being done, I don’t see Pittsburgh wanting to hand the reigns over to Mason Rudolph.

If I’m the Steelers I’m definitely looking to add Watson for the right price.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Let's not lose sight of all the remarkable things that would have to happen for Watson to come to Florham Park, and let's note that despite all the media chatter, not one of these essential things has happened yet:

1. Watson would have to formally demand a trade. Until he does, this may be nothing more than Watson's attempt to use his leverage to gain a greater say in the direction of the Houston franchise.

2. Houston would have to decide that trading Watson is preferable to keeping him, and that may be a longshot. Watson is under contract for several more years, and teams don't just jettison FQBs in their prime. Trading him is one of those moves that could backfire disastrously and become an NFL cautionary tale..

3. Watson would have to formally waive his no-trade clause and designate the Jets as a team he would go to. Looking at it objectively, not as a Jets' fan, there are plenty of reasons why a guy like Watson wouldn't want to come here even if he is intent on leaving Houston. There are other QB-needy teams that are in a better position to win now.

4. Douglas would have to decide that the price it would take to get Watson is worth it. That's a difficult one because of the lack of talent on the current roster and the value of the draft picks Douglas would have to give up.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Where is this stuff coming from?!?! Our coach could be blue and our QB red for all I care! All I want is wins. Leave the racism at the door. We live in 2021 for fuck sakes! Wins people nothing else matters!

9. NYJFOREVER

[​IMG]

He's even got a sideline coach holding him back!

stinkyB likes this.
  10. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Texans want 3 1st round picks and a starter...

Catfish Billy likes this.
  11. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Source?

ColoradoContrails and Wah like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Steelers are an interesting choice. The problem there is that the Steelers do not bring in outsiders to be the highest paid player on the team. They make sure that the locker room knows the money stays in the organization. That's how they get the top to bottom buy in that they do every year. Even if the QB is going to make a huge amount or a WR is going to make a huge amount it's going to be a Steeler that makes that large amount. I'd be surprised if they brought Watson in when they were going to have to ask some players to take cuts to get under the cap. It's just not the Steeler Way.

13. NYJFOREVER

From an ESPN+ article:

"Then there's the Robert Griffin III trade in 2012, with the Washington Football Team giving the Rams two future first-round picks for the right to move from No. 6 to No. 2 overall in that draft.

Technically, no player since Herschel Walker has garnered three first-rounders. That would definitely change with Watson, several evaluators say.

"Oh yeah -- he's worth at least that," one NFC exec said. "The haul would be pretty insane."

NFL front-office personnel are unanimous in this, with several saying additional draft capital might be necessary. It largely depends where the picks in the first round might fall. Many pointed out that if Adams, Ramsey and Tunsil garnered two firsts, Watson should get far more because of the importance of the quarterback position."

NCJetsfan and Catfish Billy like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It has to be three first round picks, one per year, and nothing more for the next 3 years. Zac Wilson has the highest completion % per PFF in history for tightly contested windows. He’s no slouch either.

15. NYJFOREVER

2nd overall, 2022 first (conditional, whichever pick is higher), 2023 first, and 2022 2nd.

Turn around and flip Darnold for a 2022 second and we're ready to roll.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Can anyone read this full article? Seems like the Jets aren’t even mentioned.

17. NYJFOREVER

I managed to screenshot it before the paywall came up.

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan, Jets81 and Poeman like this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree that it’s not the Steeler way, but he would literally be a plug and play QB that can maintain their winning ways. They are still a good team that will be missing the most important piece to winning.

Honestly I think this is much to do about nothing. At the end of the day when things calm down in Houston, Watson will stay there and help them get back to playoffs.

REVISion and JetsKickAss like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

WTF is that about btw?

20. NYJFOREVER

If a coach or player is standing on the field or on the white line running up and down the sideline when the play starts, it's a 15 yard penalty. Typically, the refs won't throw the flag unless they're actually interfered with when they're running up and down the white line.

K'OB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.