The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

That's just the icing on the cake, someone has listed the amount of things they have done since drafting one of the best Qbs in the league. Including trading Hopkins his number 1 WR and giving him no help on Oline so he's protected. He is constantly getting pressured and now he simply ask for input into the next GM and they didn't ok cool well can you guys give a interview to some guys I like...well No! I would say that's the icing on the cake. Its not a simple as just a few things this is a buildup over many years.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Yes agree
    Don’t want no drama

If he was overtly into putting America first as part of his bio that you mentioned, some fans would say no thanks Deshawn because of that, and no moderator or poster would bat an eyelash at it being political..

just be fair about it.

It’s always only one way.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That's the thing, he didn't ask to have input he was TOLD he would have input and then they basically ignored him, blatantly.

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yes and their personnel decisions the year and a half have been horrible. But it's not as if they haven't at least tried to get him help as they built out their roster from 2017-2019. They've drafted a bunch of offensive lineman and skill position players, they've just swung and missed on nearly all of them.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd be willing to give the Texans the #2 and Sam Darnold. I'm just not interested in watching Watson play with a collection of mediocre and bad players around him.

They may need more than that and if that is the case good luck to them. They put themselves in the position they are in by trading 3 1st's to the Fins for Laremy Tunsil. I'm not interested in bailing them out of that position and I doubt that the Jets would benefit from the deal if we did.

Note that Bill O'Brien had most of the pieces in hand and he still thought he needed that last piece of the puzzle in a franchise LT. He traded the 3 1st's for Tunsil, gave him a huge contract and then discovered that you can cap-screw yourself, future screw yourself and go 1-6 even with a franchise QB on hand. You can't make the argument any plainer than that for the people who think we should trade 3 1sts+ for Watson. A good team tried to leverage him and made a huge deal to support him and they still died low down on the hill with the summit nowhere near in sight.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we keep #2 we can reload by trading back to give Watson those pieces he needs to succeed. If they want Jamal + 2nd for Watson I’ll do that anytime.

#2 will fetch a bounty of picks from a team that lost out on Watson that see a little Watson in fields and are hungry to make a splash because they lost out!

either way it’s going to be interesting.

I agree if they want 3 firsts that include #2 overall that price is just too high.. that could be 5 firsts rounders if they traded back from #2

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This is all I'm talking about. The McNair family and the ideology they operate their team under is what is catalyzing his actions here. Not wins, losses, division titles, etc. It's all about how they view and treat their employees - they fired their universally revered, PR director right after the election when she, as the only woman in the NFL to hold the position, expressed joy at Kamala Harris becoming VP. The whole league saw through it.

So this is entirely him not wanting to work for people who don't respect him for reasons having nothing to do with football, and he is in the unique position of not having to deal with it because of his negotiated power.

NCJetsfan, NYGANGGREEN and 88toon like this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

It doesn’t have to be a haul. Leverage is the key to any trade and if Watson demands a trade, and is willing to sit until he gets one, the Texans will have no leverage whatsoever.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If I saw Watson walking around wearing a MAGA hat, I'd still want him.

NoodleArm, Acad23, Borat and 2 others like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bill O'Brien was a terrible GM. If Douglas isn't a terrible GM, he should be able to build a winner around Watson. And if he is a terrible GM, then it doesn't matter what we do, we're screwed regardless.

NCJetsfan, FJF, Borat and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

If he recognized that many cultural issues with the operation of the franchise, I can't imagine he would've signed a big deal to stay there for the next five years. I think it was more about him recognizing the deteriorated situation after playing a year there with a depleted cast and nothing in the war chest to help him for another year in terms of cap space/draft capital. They also only have six picks in next year's draft and will still have some uncuttable overpaid players on the books in 2022.

It'll be essentially three wasted years. Tossing in all of the toxic culture stuff (I don't doubt that it could be), is the cherry on top to justify the reasoning as 'beyond wins and losses.'

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I took a quick peak at their cap and boy they are royally screwed. No picks and they're going to have to cut a decent amount of starters just to get under the cap for 2021.

What a mess.

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I'm sorry to those that have a different opinion and there are a million arguments that can be made either way but I can't for the life of me figure out why some of us aren't all in. I haven't been watching for 50 years like some of you but I have been a die hard fan for 23 years. Every year I watch praying that this is the year that we get competent QB play and every f'n year I watch mediocre seasons and then watch the Mahomes and Rogers of the world dominate the playoffs and they are so much fun to watch. We have draft picks every year, high picks at that and wtf have we done with them?!?
    4 of the top 5 graded QBs are in the championship games and the other one is available and we have the draft capital and money to get him. We are actually the front runners and some aren't interested if it costs some picks? Some picks we have done virtually nothing with?
    The we need to build for 2 years first argument is bananas, we still have Watson for 10 to 15 years! We can't build if we are missing a couple pics we got for Adams? We have a ton of $ and the cap is super low, once fans are allowed to come back we will still have a ton of cap room even if we burn up a lot this year because it will go way up. I don't want to hope Fields can be a Watson, I want a f'n Watson. This year especially with no combine the draft is more of a lottery than it has ever been.
    Sorry for probably my longest post ever but this shouldn't be a debate. I can't believe anyone isn't on board with trying to do whatever it takes to make this our reality.

rickjet, NCJetsfan, FJF and 3 others like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

All in the wrong positions too. The amount of money they have invested at linebacker is absurd. They also have a solid amount of money invested in bad offensive lineman.

And if I ever need an agent (hint: I won't) I will be hiring Randall Cobb's guy who got him $10 million for the next two years and is virtually uncuttable this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Houston has no leverage if he’s demanding a trade but they will still do well because of all the teams that will be bidding

If they like Sam we have an easy path to get a deal done, and if they would rather have a rookie we can do that too

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Given all of their recent ineptitude in evaluating talent, perhaps they LOVE Sam?

Texas ain't big enough for two gunslinging redheads though.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If BoB was still GM they'd have already traded us Watson and a 2nd for Sam.

Jets79, FJF, Borat and 2 others like this.
  18. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Would be nice to finally get a QB that lets us worry about other positions for the next decade. At that point, even an inept front office can stumble into assembling a playoff team, lol.

rickjet and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  19. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Texas is hella big make it happen JD and send the redhead to HOU

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We could help with taking the biggest CAP offender off their books ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.