The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson is reminding me of Jamal Adams with how he is handling the situation right now, except it is worse, because he has already been given a huge extension by the Texans. I do like that both of them want to win, but they both handled trying to get to a winner poorly. If he thought they were so poorly run, then why sign an extension? He signed that AFTER Hopkins was traded and while Bill O'Brien was still Head Coach. Doesn't make much sense. I think Houston needs to explore every possible solution to keep him a Texan. We will see.

MoWilkBeast and abyzmul like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Part of me is swaying toward trading for Watson because I don't think we'd be giving up as much as the rumors would have us give up for him. His skills and ability are far from questionable.

I think my main problem at this point is, isn't this exactly what Jamal Adams did to get away from the Jets, and now everyone is okay with it? This is the type of stuff that makes me think the NFL is transforming into the aberration that the NBA turned into. Are the Jets going to give this guy roster control to make him happy? What's keeping him from turning around and doing the exact same thing to the Jets in 2 years?

3. abyzmul

Come on, dude.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not saying an unlimited haul. For instance, I wouldn't give up both this year's first rounders, both next year's first rounders, and our 2023 first rounder. But if it's both this year's first rounders, one of next year's first rounders, and Darnold, I'm taking that deal.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Except the Texans have done everything wrong towards Watson.

Bob McNair said the inmates can't run the prison.

They traded his star WR.

They assembled the league's WORST offensive line despite spending a ton of resources between salary cap and draft picks.

Now they blatantly ignored a simple request of including the teams star QB in the HC and GM search.

Besides all those things, sure, this is exactly what Adams did. I mean Adams just got his panties in a wad because the GM picked up the phone.

6. HomeoftheJets

Sure, trading for Watson could backfire; he could turn into a total headcase or an injury wreck like Pennington. But he could also go into the Hall of Fame in a Jets jersey and win us our first Super Bowl since Namath. And given that we blew our shot at Lawrence, I don't think there's any other move we could make that would give us better odds of winning a Super Bowl.

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

The entire bidding war argument does not make sense. This presumes that Watson will waive his no-trade clause for multiple teams. Given how the Texans made a promise to Watson, and then broke it (at least once that we know of), why would he be inclined to give over the entirety of his leverage? If Watson says he's waive it for only one team (which his advisors should do), then there's no bidding war and the offer from the team for which he'll waive the no-trade only has to be reasonable.

8. HomeoftheJets

Funny thing is Watson doesn't want a bidding war for his services because he's better off if his new team gives up as little as possible.

9. NoodleArm

EXACTLY!

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  10. abyzmul

Yes, they did all that... and then he signed his contract.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He also controls that destiny because he has a no trade clause. So if it's the Jets for three first rounders or Miami for five or vice versa he could waive it. He has to sign off on the deal.

HomeoftheJets, Rockinz and NoodleArm like this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think the biggest worry I'd share with you is that in two years he's going to want a Mahomes-like extension. But if he's healthy and producing and we're making the playoffs would you object?

If he becomes a malcontent on a second team, he hurts himself a lot more than he helps his own legacy.

13. NoodleArm

Agreed. Playing hypotheticals, if Watson will only waive for the Jets, and the offer is Sam plus the two Seahawks firsts and cap relief, then that's what the Texans will have to take. Just has to be a reasonable deal.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up both this years' firsts - or leave us without a first in any other year, but I would be open to additional compensation up to a point. In short, he's worth a LOT, but just not an open-ended amount.

15. abyzmul

Short term, you're correct. A star QB plus a good WR in FA, an upper tier RB in the draft and a solid effort to tool up the line could take the pressure off a new defense. The Jets would likely be in the race for the postseason next year.

But knowing what we know about his current situation, it's a huge gamble for a team that historically hasn't been able to navigate high profile personalities very well.

Especially when they have probably the best rebuilding situation they've had pretty much ever.

Brook! likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

The reason I want Watson isn't to try to make a playoff run this year. It's because if he lives up to expectations, we can be set at QB for the next 10-15 years and have multiple chances at winning a Super Bowl over that time period. And I know it's a huge gamble. But anything we do is a huge gamble. Do we want to draft Fields or Wilson and gamble that they'll be great? Or keep Sam and gamble that he can be the one QB to go from bottom 5 after three years to great? Or wait till next year's draft and gamble that there will be a future great QB there, and we'll be in position to take him? Or forget about getting a great QB and gamble that we can Trent Dilfer our way to a Super Bowl? I'll take the Watson gamble.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and Snatch Catch like this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

Giving up both this year's firsts isn't that bad; just consider Watson to be our first rounder. And my proposal still leaves us with a first rounder next year.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes this is exactly right. Plus Watson holds all the cards here. He doesn’t want to come to a place where they had to give up playmakers to get him there. He wants to go where the team had the key bargaining chip. We have that chip and only we have that chip and that’s 2nd overall. I think the deal will be:

2nd overall + 34th overall + Sea 1st 2022

Fields is the key here if they like Fields they can only get him with 2nd overall. Miami’s pick can’t get you Fields.

19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

The hit peices coming out on easterby are huge.

The fanbase want him gone and he's sticking in and the owner loves him. The SI article is something that goes past even what the Johnstons have done recently.

I think everyone wants out.

Plus the team invited Watson into the process and then ignored anything he had to say. Not like he asked to stay along, and even Andre Johnston is killing that regime in there.

Texans will struggle to get any decent HC right now.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and Snatch Catch like this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

Hey maybe Watson secretly loves New York and has a Theo Epstein complex where he wants to be the guy to break a curse. A Jets fan can dream.

Brook! and NoodleArm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.