Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think Losmeister's point is exactly the same you just made, but replace "coaching staff" with "QB"

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

While on the subject of coaching, has the hire of our new OC been officially confirmed?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but obviously that's what I think. Many posters here don't watch college football and don't watch video on prospects. I know most of the ones who do watch college video, are active in draft discussions, and who watch video of prospects and read analyses of prospects, and most of them are saying take a QB. Besides, it wasn't intended as a slight or an insult. Some have no interest in college football. Some don't have the time. There's nothing wrong with that. We aren't always aware of our motivations for what we think and why. Sometimes it's only after the fact, and sometimes long after the fact that we realize that fear or something else was a motivating factor in an opinion or philosophy or decision we made. Again, there's no shame in that. It's just part of being human. I'm sorry that you see it as a horrible post, and I hope that others don't take offense, because that's not how it was meant, but I have no control over how people will react, nor do I care. I don't write posts for like or to get approval. I share the truth as I see it and my opinions, and people can react however they see fit.

bicketybam likes this.
  4. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

FWIW Daboll doesn't even get the Chargers job. Really Loved Staley as a candidate

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Wow I guess Chargers didn't want to wait another week

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think so, Daboll may be a victim of his own success. Done really good things this year, but not good enough body of work overall, where people would ignore other candidates at a chance to get him if they wait. As teams like us, Atlanta, and Jaguars are getting HCs and start assembling coaching staff, Charges don't want to miss out on possible candidates. Staley sounds like a solid pick up, but I still like Saleh/LaFleur combo!

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hmm on rereading you're correct, ah well shoot me ;)

8. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Did anyone see a report that Saleh met with Chargers the 2nd time, or did he not bc he was negotiating with Jets?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From what I remember, it was only the Jets and Eagles.

Losmeister likes this.
  10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He did.

11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Or they realized he's been shit until this year and didn’t fall for the smoke and mirrors.

13. abyzmul

As optimistic about Robert Saleh's reputation as I want to be, the idea of hiring Mike LaFleur kind of makes you wonder. On one hand you expect him to hire coaches that are close to him that he trusts and on the other hand it seems a bit misogynistic vain to hire the brother of one of your best friends who has no experience in the coaching position.

It really sounds like the CS is going to be loaded with rookies and with that unknown factor it is hard not to remember all of the rookie coaching experiments that didn't work out for the Jets in the past.

#673 abyzmul, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

agreed, it is a bit disappointing

Douglas hired Saleh even though he didn't know him or work with him ever. He just thought he was the best person for the job. How does Saleh return that kind of strong-willed decision making? by doing the opposite and bringing his best friend to coach the offense with him

Saleh is lucky Douglas doesn't think like he does or he wouldn't have been the choice. He had options to hire friends (Pederson, Martindale) and it would've been easy to do so.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

Which woman did you want to hire?

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah a bit too much nepotism for my liking. I would've preferred an experienced offensive coach. There are some floating around there. The Rams made it a point to hire Wade Phillips for a reason when they hired McVay.

17. BroadwayAaron

Who was going to come here to an accept an OC position that is an experienced coach? Guys want upward mobility, a lateral move doesn't get anybody hard especially when the lateral move is to a franchise at ground zero of the rebuild process.

Edit: not saying I disagree, I'm just genuinely asking who you would have wanted to come be the OC that is both good for today's NFL and not making a lateral move.

18. abyzmul

Yeah, I need a half a pot of coffee before I try getting wordy.

19. BroadwayAaron

I only realized it because I just finished my first cup.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Pep Hamilton, Tony Elliott maybe? For what it's worth (and I doubt we'd do this) but John Morton is an offensive assistant for the Raiders. He did a good job for his singular year with McCown.

Not sure exactly who I'd want but there are a bunch of former coordinators floating around there. And college is always an option.

Brook! likes this.