The Deshaun Watson Situation (POLL added for the potential price)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 16, 2021.

?

What is the MOST you would give up to get Watson?

1. Just the #2 pick

24 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. The two 1's and 3 we got from Seattle

37 vote(s)
    27.2%
  3. The #2, Seattles first in 2022, our 1st in 2023

55 vote(s)
    40.4%
  4. More - just get it done.

20 vote(s)
    14.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Shefter saying that Houston is now the least desirable coaching job in the league. This thing is getting uglier by the minute.

NCJetsfan and Rockinz like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That's actually a really hard thing to quantify because you have to consider so many factors:

1. What's the distribution around Lawrence's expected career outcome?
    2. How does the draft capital required to trade up for Lawrence compare to that to trade for Watson, along with Watson's contract?
    3. How much do we care about getting a top-tier all-time QB? Because as good as Watson is, he'll never be that.
    4. How much do we care about ending up with a bust? I doubt Lawrence will be a bust, but it's still possible.
    5. What are the Jets goals in the long run? Are we trying to maximize the odds of winning a Super Bowl, or are we willing to reduce those odds slightly to increase the odds that we're a perennial playoff team?

Rockinz likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Meh. 32 NFL head coaching jobs in the world. None of them are that undesirable regardless of what Schefter says.

But with that being said, I could see this as being the type of deal that forces the McNair's to sell. Whether it's now or sometime in the next couple years.

4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

They don't have much of a choice if he says he wants to get traded there because of the NTC.

Unfortunately Miami makes too much sense for both player and the two teams. Especially since they can save face a little by getting Tua back in the deal.

5. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I think it matters if Watson feels like the coach they end up with is a bottom of the list hire because good options don't want the job.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Tua sucks.. we want Miami to keep him

themorey, dawinner127 and apjbfc like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

There are maybe 5-10 guys in the world that can turn down a head coaching job and feel OK with that decision. Talking about the Harbaugh, Cowher, Gruden (while he was in the booth for a decade) type of guys. Maybe a couple of college head coaches like Lincoln Riley and such. But there aren't a ton of NFL coordinators that are turning down an NFL head coaching spot.

8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Whatever it takes

9. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

There is no Watson situation. His stuff has nothing to do with the Jets.

10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Not saying that every person is going to turn it down. But you can already see that the top candidates are shying away from the job. Guarantee they end up with a coach that isn't very high on many peoples lists. Maybe they will hire Gase lol.

For those that haven't read the details on the internal dysfunction of the Texans. This is usually a Jet article......

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

11. Kevin Randall

Kevin Randall Member

I would offer the Texans the following 2 options

1. Sam + 2021 #2 pick

Texans get unhappy player out the door, cap space relief, a cheaper QB with experience and can trade back the #2 pick for multiple picks.

Jets get a young elite franchise QB, only giving up the pick they'd have used on an unproven QB. They also keep their other picks.

2. Sam + 2021 #23 pick + both 2022 first rounders

Texans get an unhappy player out the door, cap space relief, a cheaper QB with experience and multiple high value draft picks.

Jets get a young elite franchise QB and can trade down from #2 for multiple picks.

Remember, the Texans are desperate. They have no first or second round picks. They are $18m over the salary cap for 2021 and only have $43m free in 2022, in comparison we have £70m free in 2021 and $141m for 2022. They went 4-12 last year and have no way to improve on that.

They NEED this. We WANT this. The best situation to be in, in a negotiation, is to be able to walk away. We can, they can't.

12. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The same people who wouldn’t trade for Watson are angry the Mets traded for Lindor.

I still have the confidence Douglas will draft talent after round 1 that will be pro-bowl level players.

There’s absolutely zero question marks with Watson INCLUDING contract. How many question marks come with the draft picks?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

But who has turned it down? I'm not trying to disagree just to disagree but I think Watson and his team are pumping this stuff up a bit. I haven't seen anyone turning down the job yet (could be wrong). I still think the ultimate compromise will be Watson stays and they hire Bienemy. I'm also not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this Easterby guy. What is his involvement with the football operations? Sort of seems like Hymie Elhai of the Jets in being the football business dude not the personnel guy.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

The Texans say no to both deals. Sam has minimal trade value and is probably worth a 4th at best. So insert a fourth or maaaaaybe a third round conditional pick into those scenarios and see if they make sense.

15. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I know the number two pick this year is a must have in the deal, but I would give next years firsts and this years Seattle pick and draft a playmaker or Sewell. Then trade Darnold for a second and a third.

16. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Watson or no Watson. He has to hit outside the first round.

I hope he does.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

FJF and GQMartin like this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I remember monitoring the Asomugha trade every 5 minutes for days.

Don't do it to me again TGG

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Mets gave up 2 non blue chip prospects, a SS who can field but remains a question mark with the bat, and a SS who can't field and has an inconsistent at best bat to get Lindor and Carrasco. I don't get how a Mets fan can be angry about that.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I would offer this: 2021(2) overall and 2022(?) first round.

Texans can parlay 2021(2) into more picks by trading back, not going to help them build their team because they mismanaged their roster.

Jets still need to fill holes minus QB if Houston takes deal.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Not taking that way at all Vilma I know you aren't that type of poster.

Check out the SI article on Easterby pretty telling. It's WAY more than just a non football ops guy and thats the problem.

This is not a Watson team hack job. I've heard multiple interviews from people with no dog in the fight killing Easterby. Go check out a Texans forum.

Eberflus turned down an interview. Bienemy initially did (not sure if he changed his mind but he did)

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.