Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

i think a very large % of GGN is traumatized by our bad picks for QB. "we'll just miss again"
    you cant hit a homerun w/o swinging. we aint the GM. the GM needs to get us a good qb.
    doenst HAFTA be in the draft. but, we also dont get #2 often, do we?
    so... by hook or by crook, we needa fucking qb like nobody's business.
    trade for stafford or watson. dgaf.

standing pat at qb/afraid to fail..... is not an option.

2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

no one is afraid to fail but for any investment (whether GM or in life) you should consider downside risk and your portfolio.

If one of the candidates is truly a stud and we're lucky he's there at 2, simply because TL is one so be it. Even then we'd probably be knuckleheads to play him next year

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If that’s the route JD wants to go, I trust him to make the right call. The only thing I’d want JD to do is sign a capable veteran QB that can step in and play when Sam inevitably flops.

4. Losmeister

the whole sams 4th yuear= free year= another year to be a bad offense cos your qb is bad

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’ll be honest I have no idea what this says

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I speak jive.

"This typical Jets fans approach that because Sam's fourth year is cheap, we should keep him, is wrong-headed and will result in more disappointment."

7. Losmeister

slike they think sams slightly below avg and can be brough to above avg.

he's the worst and has to grow leaps to even be avg, ffs.

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Ah, thank you. All that just for me to disagree.

TwoHeadedMonster, Red Menace and FJF like this.
  9. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

You must have never seen Jimmy G play. Unequivocally, he has some of the worst footwork of current starting QBs in the league. His quick release masks alot of his lack of technical refinement in his drops and throwing mechanics.

I've seen enough of Darnold to know that he could work for us as a starter, flaws and all. One man's trash is another man's treasure is the saying. I understand the warts in his game. And I'm telling you Shanny is used to masking those warts because Jimmy and Sam are essentially the same type of QB at this point.

And I don't want this to come off as me saying Jimmy is the worst QB in the world. He's not. He's average. Average isn't bad...but it damn sure ain't worth 27 mil. My issue with Jimmy is that he's handcuffing my offense. Jimmy plays this game as a caretaker. And as such, he should have an INT rate less than 2%. The fact that his rate is nearly 3% is horrifying and I'm not sure how that's justifiable seeing he only averages about seven air yards per attempt. Derek Carr has played an insanely similar game the last two years and his int rate is about 1.5. Brees' has been 1%. Those are the two closest starters in terms of air yards and then there's kind of a huge jump in terms of how often QBs throw down field. I mean Gardner Minshew throws the ball down field on average a good chunk more (on average more than half a yard) and has an INT rate of less than 1.5%.

My other issue is Jimmy doesn't seem to be progressing within the passing scheme. It's like he's getting worst. He's been in the offense for over 3 years now and he's still not seeing field the way one would hope someone who has been in the same system for a certain amount of time should. He still doesn't identify certain keys in the defense, pre-snap to post-snap and adjust accordingly.

I just want a QB who is capable of making throws to every part of the field and is willing to throw the ball deep ball when the opportunities present themselves. I can deal with the ints and shotty pocket presence if you're giving me that at least and not handcuffing my play-caller.

#629 757-Niner, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and azhar80 like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Where is the Robby Anderson tweet translation app?

K'OB likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Is that what it is? This whole time I thought he was writing from a flip phone.

13. Losmeister

Sam has a career int% of 3.7 while his ay/a is 5.9... and was 2nd in the nfl this tyear for dropped ints.
    thats your treasure and you are horrified at jimm g's almost 3%??? are u clowning or what?

14. Losmeister

please convince the Niner braintrust to give us somethimg for Sam. pretty please?

15. Losmeister

ifts ok to keep newguy on the bench til Sam has that 3 game run of misery where he throws 6-8 INts vs 2 td and less than 225/game.

16. Different style QB.NFL veteran not still learning the game? And what? A 3-4 game sample size in which he threw games away in the clutch?

But i know this actually involves PROJECTING & analyzing things beyond immediate stats & instant gratification. “He hasnt been good & therefore he cant be good” isnt compelling when hes only 23 & has had moments of success in context. Dumping him wasnt even on anyone’s mind before this season

#636 KurtTheJetsFan, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021
    SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. 757-Niner

757-Niner Member

And how long has Sam been in the league compared to Jimmy??

Better yet, who is Sam throwing to compared to Jimmy?? Who are his weapons? Who is orchestrating the offense he is operating in?? ALL of it matters. You can't compare the two because one isn't surrounded with the complimentary peices as the other.

I was asked the question and so I gave my answer. You don't have to see what I see... that's fine. Most ppl didn't see Tannenhill as starter caliber QB after his stint in Miami either. Sometimes it takes landing in the right circumstance to see potential others miscalculated. I'd take a flier on Sam because I still see potential there. He's not a finished product...by any means.

SOJAZ, LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hmm

It says he doesn't want Sam for a 4th year

19. Losmeister

right. never compare anyone to anyone b/c the cirumstances arent EXACTLY THE SAME.

why'd you mention Tannehill then? He was also middling as opposed to POOR when at Miami.

20. Red Menace

I thought you posted your initial post as a joke.