Jets hire Robert Saleh

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I’m not advocating it, however if I’m looking at all the pieces of my team as a GM, not as a fan, and I have one more year on a rookie QB deal and he is 23 years old, with a new CS and a million holes to fill on my team, I’m going to seriously consider taking advantage of that free year with that QB.

If JD decides to move on from him I’m cool with it, but don’t be surprised if he doesn’t.

#601 Red Menace, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    SOJAZ, FJF, chandler and 5 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that he is still learning to play the position and still figuring out his game. After all, he just switched to playing QB in high school. With that being the case, he never should have started for the Jets. It was fine to trade up for him, but they should have gone out and got a solid veteran for him to sit behind for a year or two while he figured out his game and learned to play the position. That is on the Jets for not helping him develop and giving him that time pressure free. Would you agree?

How can he not need to overhaul his footwork, since that would set him up to throw with a better base, not throw off his back foot, have better balance and not overextend? How would he accomplish those things without fixing his footwork? I am sincerely asking as you know that I totally respect your knowledge and opinion.

I agree that his surroundings are directly affecting him, but imo that still doesn't explain his forcing the ball into double and triple coverage and not throwing the ball away. I understand that he could be pressing, but that's not helping either him or the team and he should have learned that by now as well.

Crowder does get open and pretty consistently. The OL improved a lot during this season, and Sam had clean pockets, yet we saw little, if any, real improvement, as evidenced by his ranking 30th in accuracy with a clean pocket. Now maybe one can say that he hasn't experienced enough clean pockets to be able to relax, but still at some point, his talent and ability should shine through.

I think everyone here agrees that Sam was screwed over by Mac, Bowles, Gase and every OC we had except maybe Bates. That doesn't mean that JD owes him anything however. That was previous regimes that screwed Sam. With the cap situation and with a new HC, it really is time to start over with a new HC. They absolutely have to draft a QB. IMO the fairest thing to Sam would be to trade him to a team like the Niners. Being home in California and working with Shanahan, I think he would have a great chance of salvaging his career and reaching his potential. If they bring him back, they'll get nothing for him when he walks in FA. That said, it would be fair to Sam for JD to try to make it up to Sam for the horrible situation he has had here by trying to help/fix him this season so that he will have teams bid for him and he will have a good chance going forward, but if the rookie QB he drafts is ready to go day one or early in the season, it could hold his and the offense's progress back by continuing to play Sam.

I'd rather trade him and let the new team fix him, as the additional pick or picks would help in the rebuild, but won't have a problem if they bring him back to try to help him, and it would save some cap space not having to bring in a vet FA QB.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we draft a QB now he'll be near the end of his rookie deal before our team is ready for deep playoff runs.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spare me what you posted. We know what Allen did on the off season. What I’m saying is the CS told him precisely what he needed to improve on, as all great Coaches do, and no, you will not see the Buffalo CS in the off season as involvement because that is not allowed. As for Sam, I yet to see a creditable link to any credible source for his refusal to change.

SOJAZ, FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Didn't Lamar just win the MVP in year 2? Josh Allen playing tonight in year 3, Mahomes best player in the league and drafted in 2017

So, not true

Borat, FJF, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can you please stop using facts to make a point. That is so not Jet fan like.

FJF, Losmeister, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Thats my point...those teams were already beefed up before qbs came in. give the rookie qb a season to figure stuff out and it's off the playoffs.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Building is the word .. "Stronger .. Faster"

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I probably should know the answer to this. As it is the off season (for the Jets anyway), how much contact is the new CS allowed to have with Sam and other players once they are in place? Can they give them things to work on? I believe there is an extra week of OTAs for teams with a new HC, is there also provision for extra postseason analysis and instruction as well?

10. Red Menace

This is a good point, I think, you, me, @Footballgod214 , @NCJetsfan, all Jet fans for that matter are in agreement that we want an Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes like FQB.

Where we disagree is how to go about it, some of us believe JD should fill the holes on the team with high end, fast, skill full players and not worry about reaching for QB at this time, while others believe he should grab the potential FQB put him on a team that does not have a lot of talent and ride it out as JD continues to try and build a talented team.

I believe that’s where we all agree to disagree and just continue to go back and forth with our comments.

11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

do YOU have creditable link? or you sat in the meetings?

fwiw, i myself didnt make the claim re" sam refusal. also asked for link.

LAJet likes this.
  12. Losmeister

we have many picks. its not like drafting a potential FQB deletes the rest of the draft and PREVENTS squad building.... (like using 4 picks for Sam did)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Red Menace

What QB other than Lawrence would you take at 2?

Just to be clear, I like Wilson, I believe he’s a smaller version of Justin Herbert. They both have similar styles of play and athleticism, but he’s not a second overall pick QB. I could be wrong but JD may want a Flacco or Josh Allen type of QB for Jets.

#613 Red Menace, Jan 17, 2021
  14. Losmeister

anywhere JD sees fit to draft a QB is fine. Fields/Wilson/lance/mac/trask ...there may be a way to trade down a bit AND get a guy as well. QB needs to be addressed.
    it doenst HAVEto be with the #2 pick. JD will pick a qb@ #2 if he feels sure. I'd bet Fields if he does. thats not MY choice. i thnnk we can trade down a bit and get Wilson. and tats what i'd like i actually think he will pick Sewell and make me grumble.

i

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How would you describe a "Flacco-type" QB or a "Josh Allen-type" QB?

If JD wants a "Flacco-type" QB, as I think of Flacco (never that good, never a top 10 or even 15 QB, not that accurate, and fairly immobile) then he isn't the GM we need, and I hope he quits or is fired tomorrow.

I would be very happy with a Josh Allen-type QB (one who has a very strong, accurate arm, and can beat you with his legs), but I want an Aaron Rodgers-type QB. Remember that Rodgers wasn't rated all that highly coming out of Cal. I think any one of Fields, Lance and Wilson could be an Aaron Rodgers- or Josh Allen-type QB. That is why we have to take the one we like best. It is not "reaching" for a QB imo. That's putting it in a negative light. One has to look at it as not only a necessity, but an opportunity to get a great QB. IMO when one looks at it like it's reaching, or worried that the QB will not be good enough or will fail, then the fear element is totally there. One is afraid of missing, of making a mistake. One cannot operate out of fear, especially in the draft. One has to take strong, positive action with trust and courage.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't answer your question about which QB other than Lawrence would you take at 2. I would take Fields in a NY minute. If I was convinced that Lance or Wilson could be as good as Fields, then I wouldn't hesitate to take them there, either. Once you start trading down there are seldom any guarantees that you'll be able to get the QB you want. Someone could trade up ahead of you. IMO if you think any of Fields, Lance or Wilson are potential FQBs then you stay put at #2 and take him, because more than likely Atlanta is going to take a new QB to groom behind Ryan, and you don't want to have to pick between the leftovers and possibly miss the QB you want.

#615 NCJetsfan, Jan 17, 2021
    Borat, SOJAZ and Losmeister like this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

If guys weren’t getting open and pressure was always directly in the QBs face, then why did flacco and the offense perform much better than when Sam was at the helm?

The book has been out on Sam since at least the “ghosts” game.

Teams know if you blitz up the middle, Sam won’t adjust ... He doesn’t switch up his snap cadence to get info on who’s blitzing and keep them off balance. He doesn’t slide his protection. He doesn’t call for hot routes.

These are moves I see good QBs make every week yet Sam just snaps the ball and looks defeated before the play is even run.

Then there are issues he’s had on film since college like turnovers due to not seeing underneath coverage and inaccuracy with his deep passes.

Sam isn’t football smart enough nor is he talented enough to be a good QB.

NCJetsfan and Losmeister like this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

So are we changing our D to a 4-3 with RS at the helm?

18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

while i expect TL to go first, it wasn't that long ago Sam to Browns was foregone conclusion too. Dorsey, Haslam and Darnold love-fest

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was posted already but this is great. Saleh already tried to call Becton but Becton didn’t recognize the number so he ignored it. Love it.

Borat and Red Menace like this.
  20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

no one is disagreeing that QB is important

but just as you say it's too important a position to punt on; the #2 slot is too important a position to flub up

there have been many, many, many flubs for teams overdrafting QBs -- simply with the same logic of hoping that the QB will live up to the billing. It would be a very long list indeed including the likes of mirer, schuler, Harrington, winston, trubitsky etc, etc. etc. All by a wider variety of teams who understood positional value of QB, and all who did far more analysis than anyone on this board did looking at youtube highlight reels.

the point of this is not to criticize enthusiasm for the team, it's to drive home that finding and picking a QB is a lot, lot harder than recognizing the importance of the position and recognizing that your team needs a QB

i don't think there's a poster on this board who wouldn't like a bona fide FQB on the roster. I also think if we did have a bona fide FQB there would still be a fairly vocal chicken littler contingent complaining that the guy wasn't as good as Mahomes or ROdgers or whoever else is the top of the top.