Coaching carousel set to spin in AFC East...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hehe. When you da man, you da man. :)

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

The only reason Don Shula took the job is so he wouldn't have far to go when he retired.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Shula took the job for the money and because he still hates the Jets with a passion.

4. OJDidIt

OJDidIt Banned

Will Belichick be able to steal a million dollars from an old dying man again?

If so, he will probably jump at the opportunity.

5. gustoonarmy

He will die hearing the Jets on hospital radio lifting the VLT ricky williams

6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

youve got it on the nail.

the fact Bama hasnt announced anything by now leads me to believe the deal is set with Saban but its hush since the NFL season is not officially over. but the phins will be this week, and an announcement should follow soon after.

if saban does this though he will look like a douche, as he has reassured the media numerous times he will remain with the organization. plus pulling out after 2 yrs is pretty pathetic.

7. gustoonarmy

I was thinking the same thing. If he does walk and wants to come back to the NFL hes going to find that he may well of shot himself in the foot.
    Would anyone take Pete Carroll back?

8. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Weis buyout out of Notre Dame is only 1.5 million.
    Bill Belichick contract is up at the end of the 2006 (this season.)

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I don't see Weiss leaving. He is set for a long run at ND and the NFL is too precarious. Besides, the recent success of college coaches at the NFL is abysmal. And with Saban likely leaving, chalk up another can't miss college coach failure at the NFL level.

I can't see BB working for another owner - particularly Miami where the ownership situation is now unstable (isn't that why he didn't take the HC of the NYJ job?).

Saban has one foot out the door. What a shame!

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

You're thinking of his original contract. It was six years, with a $1.5 million buyout. That was extended a year ago to ten years, at somewhere between $30-40 million (so we're told), and with a dramatically higher buyout (with numbers that haven't been disclosed).

And, contrary to reports that were speculating wildly, Belichick's contract does not expire this year.

11. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

I believe you, but that is not what I have been able to find out when I google both topics.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yeah, I was hoping he'd remain in the job for as long as possible.

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Its not about the actual players currently....The Giant job is top 3 or 4 in the land simply because its NY and its a tradition filled organization...the dolphin job comes with the luxury of living in south florida etc

14. joejets1

joejets1 Member

Belicheck will not leave the Pats job soon and he probably wont coach anywhere in the division.

There is also no shot that Weiss will leave ND after 2 years considering he has a monster contract and has not accomplished anything except losing to teams better then him, and beating weak teams. I doubt the Bills are going to get rid of their coach after this year considering JP is starting to get things right up there.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

From the ND Athletic Director's lips:

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

For what it's worth, my 2 cents:

(1) No way BB goes to the Giants. He would have to respond to questions about Mangini EVERY DAY, and with the Jets seeming to be on the way up and the Giants on the way down, it would be intolerable for him.

(2) Maybe he hides it well, but BB never struck me as the kind of guy who would take a job for the South Beach lifestyle. From what everyone says, unless you're Steve Spurrier the life of an NFL head coach is so focused on the team that you could be on the moon for all the outside life you experience. Also, if SJ is right that he is still under contract, there is ZERO chance that the Pats let him go to the Fins.

(3) Maybe it's just me, but given his constant statements saying it isn't going to happen, I'd be surprised if Saban left to go to Alabama. It would certainly kill any chance he would have of ever getting back to the NFL, he would look like the biggest asshole in the country, and the Alabama job just isn't all that attractive (ridiculously high expectations coupled with a lack of many elite players is not a good combination).

17. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

It would not surprise me to see BB leave Pats relatively soon. The prospect of sustaining their remarkable success will become an increasingly heavy burden, and as players age and the natural cycles of success rotate, the Pats will not be on top forever. I think he will jump ship before they sink below playoff-level. I really think he hates the media in general, and so NY will not be an option he considers. If you ask me his next stop is Green Bay.

18. EL Kabong

EL Kabong Member

Who cares about those other teams. The Jets should give Mangini a big raise and lock him down for the next ten yrs.

19. rillo

rillo New Member

As much as i would love to see Saban run......i doubt it seriously......but it would be great 2 see....LOL :finssuck:

20. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

$10 million is a lot to me, and probably to you. But that's rounding error in the Giants' coffers. I'm surprised ND put the buyout at so-low a tender, given that they want Weis to keep the program on the upswing. They want to continue hitting the BCS lottery and improve the value of the NBC contract at the next renegotiation.