Coaching carousel set to spin in AFC East...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Dec 27, 2006.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

...away from the excitement of the playoffs, there are stories and rumours circulating around our 2 fiercest division rivals that may change things dramatically for us (good and bad?). Maybe you're read or heard these things:

The Giants, after kicking Coughlin to the curb, are looking to spirit away Scott Pioli from the Patriots (and maybe get Belichick to follow).
    ....this could explain Belichick's exasperation with Mangini leaving...while it's been speculated that Eric was BB's heir apparent, maybe BB's timetable for leaving was a lot shorter than anybody suspected.

Just this morning, Nick Saban, opened up the speculation storm again on his leaving for the Bama job. If he leaves, who is filling his spot? Could BB be heading south?

Then there is the Charlie Weis question? If he does leave ND, will he return to revive the NYG? If Belichick leaves, gotta belive Kraft will reach out for Weis as well.

Speculation, to be sure, but there are a couple of facts to remember:

1) The Giants and Dolphins HC jobs are among the most sought after in the NFL

2) Money talks, and loyalty walks...BB has shown his stripes before

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

H'mmm did not Weis just sign a 10 year contract with ND?

I do not accept the Belly rumor either as why would he want to work for split owners when he works just for Kraft?

3. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

The Dolphins are the Raiders light. They are head coach killers.

4. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I don't think Weis will leave, but although I think BB is staying, I wouldn't be surprised if he left the Pats.

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I dont see BB leaving the Pats.

6. billybob

billybob New Member

I am sure I heard that Weis's contract has an "out" clause if the NFL came calling

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Belichick is under contract. Weis is both happy and far too expensive to pry away from ND. Saban is leaving.

Anything else?

8. championjets69

H'mm did not hear that but anything is possible but is sounds like bad business practices on ND side if that is correct

9. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

How many "dream jobs" does Weiss have? When ND hired him all we heard was how it was his dream to come to ND and coach and now it's the Giants?

I don't see what's so desirable about these 2 jobs either. In the Giants you've got an aging, underachieving roster and with the hiring of a new coach expectations would skyrocket back up to unreasonable levels.

As for the Fins job it's more of the same, they've got big money tied up in Culpepper who may or may not come back from injury and may or may not be horrible as well as an aging defense that has likely missed its window. Not to mention that there are probably a number of college jobs that are higher profile then being coach of the Dolphins.

10. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I don't see BB leaving the Pats for the Giants. Part of NE's success is that Brady doesn't make a lot of mistakes so he keeps them in their games. With Eli, you just can't say the same thing. You can actually say the opposite as he makes a ton of mistakes. He has a great situation. I can't see him leaving for another job. I can see him retiring, but not going to another team.

11. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

His original contract had a relatively small buyout clause. When he was renegotiated last year, it was specifically to keep Weis in South Bend over the long term. The buyout was increased substantially (Serby says $15 million, but I think that's just Serby being the silly person that he is). From what I've heard, I think that ND would probably be willing to even renegotiate the contract again to keep Weis in South Bend. Giants can't win a bidding war against ND.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Not High Profile. High Perks.

Millions of Dollars. Miami. Sun,Surf,Suds, Celebrity.

Spring Break Forever, only in a Ferrari.

13. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

I'd love to see Pioli go to the Giants as he's been a huge part of NE's success. I think the Giants will make a run at Weis but his contract is too restrictive. I've read the buyout could be 10 million dollars.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Totally agree. It's questionable as to how "desirable" either of these two positions are right now. I honestly think the Giants have screwed themselves for many years to come with Eli Manning. They hired him for the name and he's definitely not his brother. Miami needs a total makeover and the job of sorting through the number of prima-donnas on the Giants' roster is mind-boggling.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That was enough. Only 20 more years of futility for the Dolphins and I'll be satisfied that life balances out eventually.

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I do. What mentor would want his pupil kicking his butt every season :rofl:

17. championjets69

Well actually I think contraction is a better solution for me. Or if not contraction then maybe moving them to Siberia would also satisfy me.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I absolutely love the fact that Zach Thomas complained the other day about the number of Jets fans that always show up at Jets-Dolphins games. How'd you like to be HC and look forward to that every year? Not exactly a warm feeling... Hahahahahahaaaa...

19. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

is Herm under pressure in KC? lol!

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Interesting. But why would the Dolphions HC job be so sought after? They have one of the worst offenses,an Aging defense that will need to be rebuilt. IMO,they are heading to the bottom for a little while.