Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the Pederson thing is so new that nobody really knows how interested or disinterested the Jets are. He wasn't even a consideration until 2 days ago. It could also be that the Jets weren't interested but have been underwhelmed with some of the interviews and are growing more interested.

Idk, it's speculation season just like before the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Here is the thing:

The Jets are going to hire one of these coaches during this 2nd wave of interviews. Highly unlikely they conduct a 3rd interview. Saleh leaving after spending evening and day with Jets is likely a sign they couldn’t get the deal done. Them bringing him in first also likely means he was their top candidate after the first round of interviews.

I could be wrong, but it definitely feels that way.

Rockinz, SOJAZ, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If he would prefer the Philly job over the Jets, then he was never the right man for the HC job with the Jets, and we'd be fortunate not to have hired him.

4. NCJetsfan

That could be the case, but I thought Pederson had said that he is not even sure he wants to coach in 2021. He needed time to think about it and decide. He may want/need to take the 2021 season off and spend some time in reflection.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Obviously he was highly thought of, but we don't know if he was the #1 choice - he just might've been the one first available at this point for follow up.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't say that he is the "hot" candidate. Bieniemy has interviewed with every team. Smith may have as well. I think there are several "hot" candidates this year.

Supposedly, he blew the Lions interview, so he may have no options at all. Someone earlier posted that it was "Jets or bust." Where do you get that he has options?

JD did the initial interviews himself. Chris is sitting in on the 2nd interviews. Woody is not participating in the process. He is still the Ambassador to England.

If it's disappointing, then don't listen to the "hype." The media doesn't know what in the hell they're talking about anyway. They make shit up, speculate, and many are simply lazy and assume that because JD and Pederson are friends that JD will automatically hire him.

Borat and REVISion like this.
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I doubt it’s that the Jets couldn’t get a deal done. Johnson will throw down as much $ as necessary to recover from Gase, and just remember this:

Normally first interviews are done in person, so the Jets and Saleh were both doing their first actual in-person interview of the cycle. It’s really no surprise that one or both wants more face time with other organizations.

Leicester Jet, SOJAZ, FJF and 3 others like this.
  8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

This is disappointing

how do you let this guy walk?

SOJ continues

9. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I really think Doug Pedersen is going to be our guy. Saleh was just a smokescreen.

REVISion likes this.
  10. REVISion

True. On that note I just listened to a podcast with The Athletic's Eagles writer and he said he suspects that Pederson will realize he still wants to coach pretty soon.

11. NCJetsfan

"Feelings" are not the way to go on something like this. There could be a number of reasons why Saleh came in first rather than Smith. It might mean something, or it might mean nothing at all. I get it. We're all anxious and worried. The Jets need to get this hire right. We all have favorites we'd like to see get hired. Speculation is rampant in the media, and the NFL encourages that as it keeps fanbases hooked in. Initially, I was too excited and couldn't wait for the hire, but now would rather they take their time (relatively speaking) and make sure they get the right guy. AFAIK none of these guys is a slam dunk. No one has been hired yet by other teams, and they seem to be taking their time as well. As long as it doesn't drag on 2-3 more weeks, I think we'll be fine.

Andy_M and Noam like this.
  12. REVISion

Leaning towards this as well. Even if JD has known Pederson is the guy since the day he got fired JD would still go through the entire hiring process as if it was open. That's best optics for the fanbase and media even if he already knows he wants Doug.

13. NCJetsfan

If he wants a job for 2021, he'd better, or he'll be taking they year off whether he wants to or not.

14. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Six interviews: Jets, Eagles, Lions, Chargers, Jaguars and Falcons. I don't think Bieniemy has had that many.

15. NCJetsfan

He has. The only team that Bieniemy hadn't interviewed with was the Texans, and they now have scheduled him for an interview.

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I can see why Joe likes Arthur...They seem to have similar personalities. For me whats interesting is he is reserved but a players coach.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is my guy, hope he gets called for a second interview and doesn’t leave the building.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't love him because I think that offense would run itself, however coaching under/with Mike Munchak comes from a great pedigree of coaching offensive lineman. Those tackles along with Saffold have been fantastic, even when Conklin left and Lewan went down.

Red Menace and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Am I worried that Saleh is gone. Yes.

However I have a feeling that all the coaches are working around everywhere. Waiting for Meyer to sig/not sign for the jags.

Top three jobs in order:
    Jags - based on Lawrence and draft capital
    Chargers
    Jets

The rest are crap. Once Meyer gets signed and that jags role is gone, it will be a free for all.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.