Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand and agree, but don't forget the media is often mistaken or has an agenda. So hiring Saleh today may have never been on the plate. Saleh may have wanted to hear what the Eagles had to say as part of doing his due diligence, as well as the Jets wanting to talk to Smith. If it's meant to be, it will happen. This is JD's first HC hire. He is being cautious, as he should be. C. Johnson should be cautious as well since he has been wrong so often before and often rushed into things.

LAJet and cmcm750203 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Why?

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Damn we let him out...Id say our situation is better but who knows, maybe he likes Lurie.

Pedersen was told what to do, Saleh gets reign here..I see us as a better option but who knows what else is in play

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I just get a bad feeling about him. I think the Tannehill resurgence has to do with finally staying healthy and playing behind an extremely talented offense. Smith doesn't impress me.

5. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Agreed. There doesn't necessarily have to be overt or intentional racism, but things are the way they are as a result of historical racism and it can come into play even today in subtle ways.

Furthermore, I think there is way too much weight given to perceived merit, competency, ability, intelligence, etc. When you look at success, so much is luck and good timing. And who you know (good ol boy network). But mostly luck. Look at any field. Did the A-list actors make it because they rose above all the other wanna-be actors out there based on talent? Look at CEOs. One year someone is a genius, the next year, not, and they are out. There are tons of external and random factors at play and there will be regression to the mean.

Snatch Catch and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Don't forget that this hire is JD's not CJ's. CJ will just give the rubber stamp of JD's pick unless he has strenous objections for some reason. So CJ most likely has little or nothing to do with Saleh leaving today.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm saying the NBA isn't oppression and it is generally accepted that black players are more common because they are generally better at basketball. I just wonder why we see more whites in coaching roles and assume that's because of oppression. Couldn't it be that white guys who love football are more drawn to the X's and O's side of it when they don't work out as players? And thus there are more qualified coaching candidates among them. My point is that we see more black people in a certain field and correctly reason that it's because they're better at it and thus more drawn to it. We see more white people in a field and we go "whoa whoa whoa, racism? Oppression?".

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

IMO no, it couldn't be that whites are more drawn to Xs and Os. There have been many blacks drawn to those too and were not given the opportunity and they were qualified. That's racism pure and simple.

Noam likes this.
  9. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Oh please no Garrett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Sack exchange

Relax, these coaches are people, they need to do what is best for their families as well as career. No need to rush! If he wants jets he will chose jets! If there is offer, if not he will choose some where else. We don’t want anyone not 110% in for jets!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Sack exchange

Philly is probably the worst opening. So if he wants it. So be it. Jets job would be more attractive.

NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

Worst or second worst depending on what happens with Watson.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm trying to put myself in JD's mind. This is pure speculation and perhaps wishful thinking on my part but I get the feeling he wants more time to talk with Pederson. This is JD's first coaching hire and will have a huge impact on his legacy as GM. I would think he'll feel more comfortable hiring a guy he knows very well given what's at stake. There was certainly some ugliness with Pederson and the Eagles before he got fired but the consensus seems to be that Roseman was primarily to blame so I think JD could deflect heat for that easily. It's also easy to sell hiring a guy who won a Super Bowl only a few years ago.

The GM+HC relationship is extremely important. Who better to align with than someone you already know quite well?

14. NYJFOREVER

Cowherd is speaking out of his ass, as per usual. Nobody has been linked to Garrett.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The guy looks like an idiot with as much humping he did to Gase & Darnold the past 3 years anyway

16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont know much about Saleh as a prospective coach, so not signing him doesnt really mean all that much to me.

However, if this was Douglas' guy and he leaves without a contract, that is something to be at least mildly concerned about. If you think this guy is the truth, you need to get him locked up as soon as possible.

If Douglas likes him, but doesn't think he's THE GUY, than I'm cool with continuing the search.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They must have a blind, deaf, dumb owner and GM. Please proceed.

18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I heard a podcast (i think with Connor Rogers) said that "not seriously at all" when asked how serious of a candidate do you think Pederson is. I don't know how well connected he is with the organization, but he certainly not at the La Canfora level of bs. Was very adamant about this as well. Mentioned the process has already gone through the first interview and bringing him along wouldn't make sense given their first interviews.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I would say Eagles and Texans are worse.Maybe we didnt offer him the job because the Jets had other people they wanted to do 2nd interviews with atleast thats what they told Salegh according to reports early in the day.I feel like hes the best option out of all the candidates.

20. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Maybe Chris didn't think Saleh is where football is heading.

Let's face it. Saleh is the hot candidate this year, and he has options. I suspect he was interviewing the Jets (especially with respect to ownership) as much as the Jets were interviewing him. Maybe he didn't like what he heard from the Jets. That wouldn't shock you, would it? I wonder who participated in the Saleh interview. Was Chris there? Was Woody there via phone? It's also possible Saleh was using the Jets' interest as leverage to force one of the other teams interested in him to shit or get off the pot. It's disappointing because after all the Saleh hype, this is starting to feel like yet another SOJ moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.