Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Quinnen Williams now tweeting about Saleh. It's safe to say who he wants.

Poeman, matt robinson 17 and Noam like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

jeez what are they trying to low ball him or something. If you want him, hire him, going on 2 days of courtship here. You dont have to ask his dad for permission to take his hand in marriage lol

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Yes. My concern with hiring a D HC was what happens 2-3 yrs from now when our new OC/Playcaller and our entire O coaching tree is yanked out from under us so our hot OC can take a HC job somewhere else. That's all....maybe not an issue, but a small concern.

sozopol and Noam like this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If we have our OC hired as a HC that likely means we are a playoff team with a good offense and good QB. Please take our OC and sign me up for this!!!

This is like telling me no you don't want a million dollars because you will have to pay taxes. Just stop talking and give me the million.

6. NYJFOREVER

That's a good thing, a very good thing.

The HC must have the foresight to develop the position coaches on the staff to maintain the system.

7. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Is Saleh still there?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perspective is everything on a matter like this. We have very different perspectives on this issue. That's fine.

My question is, even if you're right, where's the harm in a bunch of minority assistants and FO personnel being hired? The owners have plenty of money and it will help the economy. In addition, even if some of the minority assistants were or are not qualified, that's often a result of lack of opportunities where they could learn and improve all along the line, and as you yourself said in the bold, if a white assistant or FO personnel type is competent, he will still get hired, so everyone wins.

sozopol and Noam like this.
  9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

They have all the doors shut, they aren't letting anyone out until he signs the paper lol

apjbfc and Noam like this.
  10. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

yes like with the Bills and Daboll? I'm sure Bills fans are so upset right now being in the Divisional round of the playoffs.

You hire the best coach, period. if other teams want our coordinators, that most likely means we're winning.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I don't think I've known a HC search to have 1 interview for so long.

Hope Joe hates cupcakes.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Red Menace and Poeman like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Because they'd basically be pawns used to engineer draft picks and might take jobs from more qualified people because of it. It's a weird incentive system.

Jonathan_Vilma and Red Menace like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, I don't think they would take jobs from more qualified people. As Vilma said, if a team thinks a candidate can help their team get better, they will hire him.

I don't that many teams are going to rush out and hire a bunch of minorities because of this. Those minority hires would have to have some kind of meaningful work that was demonstrable (unlike Bieniemy in KC), have to keep their job for at least 2 years, and then someone is going to have to hire them away. If a minority candidate is hired, doesn't learn/improve and can't do the job, the team won't keep him, nor should they. I believe the problem is that traditionally many minority candidates were not given opportunities so that they could learn, grow, improve their knowledge and skills, and thus were just dismissed as unqualified. This is why measures like this must be taken. This is a systemic problem dating back to slavery. Minorities were kept from getting educated, getting jobs, buying houses and building wealth, kept from voting, etc. It's going to take time and more efforts like this to level the playing field. Anyone who thinks the playing field is already level is deluding him/herself. You don't overcome 250 years of historical systems and treatment in a decade or two.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The entire league is comprised of black athletes that have a fast track into coaching after their career. Few pursue it - that's not any sort of systematic issue.

There's plenty of diversity in the NFL coaching ranks especially when population size is factored in. There are scouting programs, for examples tailored to former players (again, most of which are black). They have fellowship programs to get into coaching for former players. All 32 clubs participate.

It's just getting away from a meritocracy and it's done to simply improve optics for the league. You're greatly mistaken if you think it's for any other reason.

https://www.nfl.com/news/senior-bow...school-to-former-nfl-players-0ap3000001034039

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...helping-former-players-get-nfl-jobs/42751325/

There's no need to create an incentive that creates an on-field advantage with such programs in place already.

REVISion and NYJFOREVER like this.
  16. REVISion

Always respect your opinions NC but I think we just fundamentally differ on this one. I don't believe there is systemic oppression of minorities in the NFL. At least not a widespread problem.

I always wonder why we look at some things like this and not others. Where are the cries for more whites and asians in the NBA? There's clearly an imbalance there relative to the population at large, no? I think it's because we all know that black people are generally better at basketball for a multitude of reasons. They play it more in their communities, black people are generally faster than whites, etc.

Why do we admit one is merit based and call oppression when it happens in the other direction? There's a ton of money at stake in pro sports. People just want to win. The best guys usually get the roles they deserve, both players and coaches.

17. NYJFOREVER

18. REVISion

Interesting, wonder what the hold up is?

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Looks like he wants to hear what Philly has to say

20. NYJFOREVER

Please God don't give us Arthur Smith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.