This draft just got a lot more complicated

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I get you. What I meant by the draft getting moire complicated is who would be selected in the top 5 was a little more predictable before lasts nights game. Now there are at least twice as many scenarios that could play out in the first 5 picks.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

A raw version, but his upside is through the roof.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My observation with lance is he has one read and that’s where he throws it. There is one play in that video where he actually throws to his second read.

I also did not see any throws to out patterns, those are run quite often in the NFL especially with clock management being key in come from behind situations.

Where would you draft him?

4. CotcheryFan

No earlier than 10 and I'd redshirt him in his rookie season like the Chiefs did with Mahomes. The right CS can mold him into a star. The talent is there.

Kryoptix likes this.
  5. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

That is the smart way.
    You need the ability to throw deep and run and this guy is elite at both. He is the ultimate project and a good coach and system could turn him into a superstar.

6. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah I wish more people would realize this. Sam improving slightly next year is not a good outcome, it would actually hurt us. All it would result in is another year kicking the can down the road and not drafting high enough to target a replacement QB without mortgaging future draft picks.

If Sam stays, the only outcome that is good for us is if he makes a massive improvement next year. How likely do we think that is?

7. REVISion

List of Super Bowl champions the last 11 years:

Chiefs
    Patriots
    Eagles
    Patriots
    Broncos
    Patriots
    Seahawks
    Ravens
    Giants
    Packers
    Saints

How many of those teams didn't have an elite QB? One? Maybe two if you count the Eagles although Foles played at an elite level.

It is almost impossible to compete for a championship without an elite QB. I don't want the Jets going 10-6 and losing in the first round every year. I want to win championships.

8. Kryoptix

And? If there are no QB worth it at 2nd overall it does not change anything. The key is developing our QB into an elite player. Not just draft one at 2nd overall because we have to because Darnold sucks.

Mahomes 10th overall, Brady 199th overall, Nick Foles 88th overall, Russell Wilson 75th overall, Joe Flacco 19th overall, Aaron Rodgers 24th, Drew Brees 32nd. The only top 5 QB to win the Superbowl are the Manning brothers. I won't even bother to list all the top 5 overall QBs that missed because the list would be way way too long.

What make it impossible that the best QB drafted in this draft when the dust settle is not a Mac Jones or Kyle Trask or Trey Lance? I actually believe that in most cases the best QB in the draft are rarely the highest selected ones.

I don't buy the we need to draft a QB or we are doomed crowd. We need to develop the best QB into an Elite one. We need quality players everywhere and the best talent everywhere.

Pepsiguy5, Red Menace, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

right now i'm liking lance (mid 1st) and jones (late 1st early 2nd) moreso then wilson or fields (both top 10)

LAJet, Pepsiguy5, Br4d and 1 other person like this.
  10. REVISion

I think we're sort of in agreement. I think Fields is a good enough prospect to take at #2 but I'm not head over heels for him so I'll be happy if we take any QB in the first round. I just think we absolutely need someone other than Darnold and I have no interest in signing a veteran stopgap for a couple years. All that would do is give us a worse draft pick once we finally decide to take a stab at a QB in the draft.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’ve said from midway through the college season not to sleep on Mac Jones. I’m a Bama fan so I don’t want to gush over him too much. Thing is he’s playing pitch and catch with wide open receivers. I think if he lands in the right place he could be a good player. Reminds me of a poor mans Peyton Manning in so many ways

Leicester Jet and ouchy like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The filthy dolphins and their filthy 3rd pick are a potential problem for us. Things would be so much simpler if the Texans were at 3.

The filthy dolphins are considering using their filthy #3 pick to trade with Cinn for Sewell. From there they believe they can land Smith, or in consolation, Chase. The hard part is they may be right, and get a blue chip WR, a high second, and screw us out of any trade potential with Cinn. One of those 3 things is for sure going to happen - they are going to get a blue chip prospect. All three happening is bad.

This is why JD needs to keep his cards close to his chest for now. One thing the filthy dolphins cant do is assure Cinn that we wont take Sewell. Not that its likely that we would, but it plays into our hand well to muck up that trade. The third pick used to be a nice place until the filthy dolphins moved in. We still hold a higher pick and if we are going to trade we have to out maneuver them.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Michael Kay said that Joe Douglas has the toughest job in the NFL between getting a new HC and deciding what to do with #2 pick and his 3rd-year QB.

Has any GM ever had the pressure JoeD has ?

Pepsiguy5 and ouchy like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are plenty of GM's who have had that pressure, some of them even this year.

The Steelers are about to go into a rebuild phase that may clean out the executive suite in a year or two. That's what losing Ben Roethlisberger from a program that expects to go to the playoffs every year will do. And it's pretty clear at this point that Big Ben was a big part of the 1-5 finish this year. Look for the Steelers to make a QB pick in the 1st round or 2nd round to sit and learn for a year.

The Eagles just fired Doug Pederson due to an unexpected decline in Carson Wentz's play. Think Howie Roseman is not feeling some major pressure right now to right the ship?

The Patriots have to get things right in a hurry, like next year. Belichik is not going to get a lot of years under .500 - not if I read my Robert Kraft's right. If Brady wins a Super Bowl this year Belichik probably has exactly one season to fix things or he is going to 'retire'.

ouchy likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

The Steelers would be perfect for Lance. He could sit for a year and take over with an offense that will have productive WR’s in 2022. Not sure if they have the guts to trade up for him though. Their OL is slowly getting up there in age and Pouncey might retire. They could do an OL rebuild in 2021 and then go for a QB in 2022.

No doubt Howie will be under pressure to get things right in Philly.

I think Belichick has the benefit of the doubt for a few seasons given just how dominant the Pats were for the last 20 years. He knows he needs a FQB and could take Mac Jones in round 1. I’m sure Saban is sharing his thoughts on Jones with Belichick as we speak. Their skill position group doesn’t scare anyone now and needs recent picks like Harry to develop.

16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Trade down and take Trey is one of the most intriguing ideas to me... itd be ballsy af....therefor I kinda dig it.

#36 Losmeister, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    LAJet likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Maybe take Lance on the 23 or 34.

He has one year of play in a weak conference. This means the right approach to developing him is likely to be the Aaron Rodgers approach with at least one full redshirt season. If the Jets don't have a high 1st investment in him they can likely afford to do that. Even if he only starts for the first time in his 3rd season that would still give the Jets 2+ seasons at a rookie deal.

The thing that is really important to remember about this draft is there is one sure thing at QB and that is Lawrence. Obviously he could bust but he is the guy who has great career written all over him.

Everybody else is speculative and unless you have a great plan for how to develop them they are fairly unlikely to succeed at a high level.

People point at Mahomes as the reason that raw ability makes a risky QB pick viable but Andy Reid was a huge part of developing Mahomes. One of the things he did was to nail his rookie QB's ass to the bench in his rookie season. That is the lesson people should take from Mahomes ascension. Even a great QB whisperer didn't think he could get the job done in the rookie's first season.

18. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

I’m a huge Lance fan. But if we draft him, he needs to sit out the first year. He’s very raw but has enormous upside. He’s built for the modern game but needs to be coached up. I personally would trade down from 2 to take Sewell or Slater and trade up from 23 to take Lance. Wide Receiver and Running back in round 2

19. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

i like lance better than fields and maybe wilson (based on upside and ADP).

20. Kryoptix

Trey Lance is a guy that could turn a franchise around.

He will take time to become elite but if he has the right coach and system he will be a top 5 player in the league.

I also think he is the guy we should target.