This draft just got a lot more complicated

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ouchy, Jan 12, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Fields didn't do much to sell his claim to the #2 pick.

Devanta Smith is going to shoot even higher up the draft board. So high that I can see the dolphins passing on Sewell for him.

The top 5 is now officially chaotic.

Pepsiguy5, Leicester Jet and Br4d like this.
  2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

We should take Smith..... Give Sam a big time weapon

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People say Mac Jones is a product of the system but the guy is no slouch. He makes good decisions, good throws, and is pretty good in the pocket. I can see him going sooner then predicted.

jilozzo and Leicester Jet like this.
  4. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Yes. I really liked how at some point in the game he realized that a defender picked up his first option still looked at his receiver made a pump fake making the defender to commit and them threw to another wide open receiver left out by that defender... That was legit composure. His deep ball was also pretty accurate.

Leicester Jet and ouchy like this.
  5. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Smith at 2 and Jones at 23rd or whatever our other first round pick is.

Sack exchange likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Belichik and Saban are close. If Saban tells him to take Mac Jones at 15 he will do it.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  7. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

If that happens, Trey Lance wouldn't be a bad compensation prize. He's probably a little more along the lines of the new gunslinger QB that's all the rage. I mean, it's worked for Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, and Watson, so it wouldn't be the craziest idea.

Br4d likes this.
  8. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

Last nights game makes me want Kyle Trask more. He put up 400+ yards and 3td (plus a running td) against this Alabama defense in a meaningful game. I think his last game of the season was an anomali which can easily be explained by the fact, that all his starting recievers pulled out shortly before the game.

I think he has Drew Brees or at least Chad Pennington written all over him, and he will most likely be there for our second first round pick or maybe even our second round pick.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I don’t believe this draft got complicated at all, JD already said his scouting is 99% complete. He’s just waiting for interviews and combines to give final grade. All the teams have the top of the their draft board complete, from a fans perspective I can see that things got complicated but not for the NFL teams.

Im sure JD has 10 or 15 players he’s locked in as day one starters that he is happy to select with that pick or trade down and still get his guys.

I still don’t get the Fields emotional roller coaster as well, he is Jekyll and Hyde, when he has everything working for him he’s a stud, when everything is not working for him he’s a dud.

A potential FQB should not be a byproduct of the schedule, tough opponents, he looks average, easy schedule he looks like a HOF.

Last week we heard how tough and stoic and what a warrior he was, plays a better defense and all of a sudden he’s injured he’s not right, he was the same QB with the same injury against Clemson.

Stop with the excuses for this guy already, it’s going to be a repeat of Darnold, he’s being overhyped. That will be my last comment on Fields.

In JD I trust.

10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I will say this

Justin Fields for as hurt as he was he played against a Bama D that was very pedestrian all year long. Also, he has weapons and a good OL. Some passes sailed a little last night, saw shades of Sam even though he will be better. But, I just can’t say for certain he’s anything more than a Jared Goff. If you’re looking for the next Aaron Rogers, look elsewhere.

Zac Wilson? No idea. Really need that scouting combine to happen. Wilson is 25 lbs lighter than Fields which is crazy.

trading back is now not a guarantee. Chase and Smith may go early. Real early.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This board should also stop with excuses for Sam. He was mediocre in 2019 and abysmal in 2020.

KY Jets Fan and Red Menace like this.
  12. Red Menace

I agree with you about Sam, only problem is that Jets have him for a 4th year on rookie contract and still need to build a team, not necessarily for Sam but for any QB that they draft.

I find it hard to believe other teams are going to give Jets anything for a one year rental that is also the worst QB in the NFL.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is one of the biggest issues I have with keeping Sam. What happens if he plays us out of the top 5 but he isn't good enough to warrant an extension? The Jets would get stuck in QB hell.

JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  14. Kryoptix

The Jets are not stuck in a QB hell. People always dramatize situations. I mean, many teams have had decent records with average QB. Also, drafting a bad QB with the 2nd overall is not resetting the clock, it's putting the time on the clock backward. So instead of having a competitive team in 3/4 years then it becomes 6/8 years.

Personally, I am not against drafting a QB, I really like Mac Jones/Kyle Trask, they can manage a game and deliver very accurate throws. One of them should be available at 23.

Build a better core, get talent!

Pepsiguy5, ouchy and Red Menace like this.
  15. Red Menace

Do the same thing the Titans did, don’t exercise the option and that’s it, if you do he’s only yours for one year. If the team has decided that he is not the answer then simply play him the fourth year and move on.

#15 Red Menace, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    LAJet likes this.
  16. Red Menace

I’m on board with getting talent and building the core however the top 3 picks should be for day one starters, I don’t want Jones or Trask if they are not going to be day one starters.

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. Kryoptix

So by that logic the Packers should not have drafted Aaron Rodgers and the chiefs should not have drafted Mahomes. Right?

18. Red Menace

If you can show me a Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers in this years draft then go ahead but Trask and Jones are not those guys.

19. Kryoptix

Never said there was. At least we will not know until many years but drafting a rookie top rated qb with many flaws, with no offensive support is a recipe for disaster. As you mentioned the first 3 picks should target starter if you miss on getting a good player at 2nd overall then you franchise is moving backward not forward. But overall, I think it would be very risky to hand the key to the franchise to him.

I see Fields has a guy that is poor in managing time and space with the ball and that is panicking a lot and missing easy throws when pressured. His main attribute that can help him potentially having an NFL career is his running ability.

20. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

He's very intelligent too, completed his degree in 2.5 years and he reads a defence and situation very quickly.

ouchy likes this.