Realistic FA Targets for Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2021.

1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

We would still have Seattle's first this year and ours next year which is still enough to build. Watson would be the best Jets QB ever as soon as he puts on the uniform, all the years searching for a franchise QB and we could have the opportunity to get one without taking a flyer in the draft or FA again... New coach, Watson plus Allen Robinson and a beefed up line, maybe Najee Harris with the #24... Instant turnaround.

matt robinson 17 and FJF like this.
  2. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

And how should we build the team?Darnold is arguably the worst QB in the NFL...Waiting another year to find a QB helps nothing...We will have this exact question next year only with less options.

Bellys Lies and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Watson isn’t going anywhere his cap hit is astronomical!!! They will make amends and let him be apart of the hiring process for the coach.

4. NOVAJET

I think he gets traded, his cap hit isn't an issue as the new team takes his contract obviously. He's more than worth the deal he signed.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. NOVAJET

They have no plans of interviewing Bienemy which is who he wants.

6. Rockinz

Doesn’t work like that in the NFL because of the dead money. It’s around 25 mil dead money cap space..

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You build the trenches and add weapons and address the secondary.

The QB may be important but is only one piece of the puzzle.

David Carr was a great QB coming out of college and his team failed to protect him.

After getting pounded week after week he just wasn't the same guy anymore.

SOJAZ and chandler like this.
  8. NOVAJET

You are correct, I apologize but if they take a QB with our second they will have a cheap QB for years to come. Not to mention I found this in an article:

Trading Watson would not add much damage to the salary cap in 2021

As it stands, Watson is set to count $15.94 million against the cap in 2021. $5.4 million of that is the prorated signing bonus. The remaining cap hit is Deshaun Watson’s $10.54 million guaranteed salary.

As that $10.54 million in salary would transfer to the team acquiring Watson, the Texans would only have the $21.6 million in dead money from the signing bonuses acceleration. Therefore, trading Watson adds just $5.66 million to the Texans’ salary cap for Watson this season. The Texans are already projected to be $17.8 million over the 2021 salary cap, so they would need to be prepared to free up nearly $25 million in cuts and restructures if they trade Watson.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If we could get Watson for those 3 picks and Darnold, I'd do it in a NY minute, but I don't see that being enough, and I can't see Watson wanting to come here, either. We'd probably have to hire Bieniemy to have any chance, and maybe even sign Robinson or Godwin and Thuney/Scherff, before he'd consider it. Then the Texans would probably balk at the trade.

LAJet likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Thanks for the break down. I wasn’t exactly sure on the exact numbers. I also think that cap hit if for 4-5 years... that’s quite a while to have that on the books...

So here’s a question what’s the compensation Texans would want? I’m thinking it’s 2 firsts and a second. In that case we might as well trade that to the Jags for Lawrence who is a better version of Watson and he’d be on a rookie deal.

11. NOVAJET

It was reported they wanted 3 firsts but I think our #2 isn't just a first so maybe our #2 plus Seattle's first next year and our #34 this year. Even if we had to throw in a couple of pics unless we make it more desirable to come here it may be pointless because he can choose his destination.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. Rockinz

I just don’t see it. Like I said before I think the make amends by letting him feel he helped choose the coach.

13. NOVAJET

If they schedule an interview with Bienemy maybe but that's reportedly who he prefers and the Texans are the only team in the market for a coach that didn't want an interview. Seems like a slap in the face.

Rockinz likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No way we can afford to throw in more picks. That's why I don't think it happens. I think they'd want 4-5 #1 picks or 3-1sts and 3-2nds.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Just look at these playoff teams this wkd. All exceptional talent at multiple positions.

I’m curious if we go after Juju for Sam usc connection

The Dark Knight and James Hasty like this.
  16. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

If we’re keeping Sam I want juju

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Juju is a big upgrade over Perriman, but I wonder how much money his antics have cost him? Maybe not much, because he played pretty well tonight.

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

gents, we need to build the dam team up. OL, ILB, OLB, CB, WR, maybe a TE and RB. Not to mention all the FA that will be walking out the door... this team needs a major infusion of talent across the board. Going balls to the wall is a pipe dream, JD isn't going to do that. if anything, he may stay with SAM, trade down and stock up on picks again...

19. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This x100.

Thuney would have been a Jet last year if the scumbag Pats didn't tag him at the eleventh hour. IIRC, his wife was liking tweets of him coming to NY. He would really strengthen our OL as the guard spots are the weakest link. I'm drooling just thinking about running left...