Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

same

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wink completely out coached A Smith today. Titans had 1 good drive all game. Ravens D were flying around and Titans O had nothing on them.

3. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Apparently we were focused on Campbell for a month. Maybe if they fired Gase sooner they could've moved on sooner. I don't know if it impacted the search at all but it's a bad look to not even get a sit down with a guy you had your eye on for a month while you let a garbage head coach fuck up our future plans.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In most cases I think it would but Campbell seems like an overly loyal guy that wouldn't entertain things until ISU played in their best bowl game ever. That's probably an isolated case though but it's just the feeling he gives me RE: firing Gase sooner.

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Considering we have interviewed 6 people so far, I do not think Douglas was impacted by him returning to college.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that his record is important, but not more important imo than the fact that he adapts his system around the talents of the QB and players he has on hand. He has done that consistently.

I may be mistaken, but don't you like Matt Campbell? If so, well his W-L record isn't impressive, so should that rule him out? Talent matters. Just as there's so much that Campbell can do with the talent he has to work with at Iowa St., there's only so much Daboll can do with mediocre talent. This may be the first year in his career that he has had elite talent with which to work. No OC is a miracle worker. No OC is going to be able to create a top 10 offense with a bottom 15 QB and bottom 10 talent.

Besides, we're hiring him to be the HC, not the OC. It's about his ability to be CEO and care about the whole team. What other candidates have coached both offensive and defensive units?

7. NCJetsfan

How are they propped up? One certainly can't win with a lousy QB. So if I understand you correctly, then you're saying that if an OC has a very good QB that means that he's being propped up and the success is all due to the QB, but if the QB is bad, then it's the OC's fault, right? What about the fact that Daboll builds his offense around his QB and thus puts him in position to play his best and succeed? So when that QB plays well, suddenly Daboll had nothing to do with it?

8. NCJetsfan

So he should coach in college until he's 50 or 60? Then those looking for a young creative mind will skip by him because he will be too old, or has no NFL experience, or think less of him because he's never been an NFL HC before. As schizophrenic as the posters on this site, no HC candidate could hope to be hired. The extremes of what and how posters think bout the HC candidates are crazy. It's a good thing Douglas doesn't have to get the fanbase's approval or he'd never be able to hire a new HC, because there'd always be someone who didn't like the candidate for some reason.

9. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

If this is your argument then you also have to give Bienemy credit, no?

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

As I said in the post you quoted, I could get on board with hiring Lewis. The one disagreement I have with you is giving him a 7-8 year contract. That's too long, especially if you're wanting him to hire to hotshot coordinators and put them in competition as his replacement. Do you really think they're going to be content to wait 7-8 years to become a HC? I don't. 3-4 years in they'll get hired away by other teams. I think the only way that would work is if Lewis' contract was no more than 4 years. 15-20 years ago, that would have been feasible, but look at this year. Smith has been an OC for 2 years and people are ready to hire him as a HC. Brady has only two years experience as an OC, and one of those was at LSU, and only has 8 years coaching experience in total, and people are ready to hire him as a HC.

Statistics have shown that the best chance a rookie QB has to win a SB is during his rookie contract. If Davis isn't going to be able to get us to and win a SB, then there would be little point of drafting a QB. We might as well just keep changing the veteran QB every year or two we sign as FAs. If you don't think Lewis can take us to the top, then he shouldn't be hired imo.

11. NCJetsfan

Give Bieniemy credit for what? What in the hell has he ever done? There's not one thing we can point to and say that he has done really well.

hobgoblin likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I'm the one who has been talking about the bold, and imo it should one of the key factors. It should be obvious. Gase tried to make Sam fit into his system (square peg into a round hole), and it was totally wrong and counter productive for Sam, and doomed our offense. Regardless of who our HC and OC are next season the one thing we have to be certain of is that he adapts his system to fit our QB to ensure that he develops and succeeds. The last thing we can afford is to have Sam fail if he's brought back or a rookie fail because the dumbass HC/OC tried to make him play in a style for which he wasn't a fit.

13. NCJetsfan

So you trust someone to be HC who only has a 2-3 years experience as a coordinator, but you don't trust that someone would be a good HC when they've been a good coordinator for 10-15 years, has experience coaching both sides of the ball, and has coached under Saban and Bellichick? Got it.

14. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

He's been the OC for the top offense in the league and won the super bowl. His QB is the best in the league, or top 3 at least.

15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

He's never called plays and having Mahomes is more of a knock for me as alot of that offense benefits from the caliber of the weapons.

hobgoblin and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Reid is the HC and QB whisperer. Reid calls the plays. Mahomes was already a great QB. There's not one thing you can point to with Bieniemy and say, "He did that." or "That wouldn't have happened without Bieniemy." If there are those things then Reid needs to point them out, because there's no way to separate what Bieniemy has done from what Reid has done at this point. Bieniemy didn't win the SB. Reid, Mahomes, and the Chiefs' players won the SB.

If someone could definitively point out to me what Bieniemy has done, what he has accomplished, then I'd probably have interest in him, but I would not hire him based on "hoping" or "thinking" he surely played some part in the Chiefs' success without knowing exactly what he has/has not done.

hobgoblin likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Just because a coach is a good coordinator doesn’t mean they will be good at being HC.

Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Dave Wandsted, Todd Bowles, Bill Callahan...etc.

Plenty of examples of guys who are not capable. I want a young fresh HC that is not from the Bellichick tree, his assistants have been incredibly overrated and underwhelming as HC.

SOJAZ and chandler like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I agree that just because someone is a good coordinator doesn't mean that they will be a good HC, but certainly someone who has been a good OC for a number of years, who has coached under some very good coaches and in different systems, and has coached on both the defensive and offensive side of the ball has a better chance of becoming a good HC than some young guy with little experience even as a Coordinator.

Daboll isn't from the Belichick "tree" as you're inferring. It would be one thing if that is the only place he has coached. He coached under Belichick for 7 years, 2 years as a defensive assistant and 5 years as a WR coach, then left for 7 years and coached for Jets, Browns, Dolphins, and Chiefs, then was rehired for 4 years as TE coach, then left again to coach under Saban with Alabama, and has been with the Bills for 3 years. The fact that he coached 3 different units for the Patriots says that he is a very good coach as does the fact that he left, and then was rehired, and that he has worked steadily.

He could still wind up not being a good HC, but he is more qualified than any other candidate imo.

#1058 NCJetsfan, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Red Menace likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is true, not all great coordinators make good HCs, but all top HC started out as being pretty damned good coordinators at one point. I don’t think we have too many great HCs that sucked at coordinators. They would never get that chance. So it cuts both ways.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I get it, they have to start some where, they were all assistants at one point. Smith has been in the NFL for 13 years, also if you look at the transition of the NFL in the past five years, most of the coaches other than Bellichick and Reid, are very young and they are the new generation of coaches.

I would like the Jets to get on the bandwagon and get their young HC pair him with JD hopefully they share the same vision and philosophy and just get the organization moving forward.

#1060 Red Menace, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.