Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Yup. I mean nobody was clamoring for the guy when Allen had a 52% completion percentage. Nobody wanted him when he was running Mangini's offense in Cleveland. Someone brought up that he's been able to adapt his offenses to his players as opposed to shoe horning them into his scheme which is refreshing but not necessarily a reason I'd hire him.

I don't necessarily want Smith either but I think what he's done with Tannehill is more impressive though it's debatable how he'd do if he didn't have a great RB to complement him.

Noam likes this.
  2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Smith being eliminated today is cool because it accelerates his hiring, if he is in fact the choice.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I could get behind Marvin Lewis as HC. Definitely a CEO type, has the pedigree as architect of one of the best defenses ever and coming from a SB winning franchise in Baltimore.

There's precedent for prominent HCs having success in their second tour: Belichick, Dungy, Reid.

His time with Cincy is kind of a headache to analyze but of the examples above, only Reid wasn't run out of town, everyone hated Belichick and Dungy's own players were questioning his coaching ability in Tampa.

Gotta wonder about the willingness to sign some of the worst human beings that have ever set foot on an NFL field, but maybe that was a lesson learned.

Brook! likes this.
  4. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Not right away. But as the team gets better, they attract better talent, better funding, and thus better resources and facilities. A school like Iowa State COULD turn into a contender someday. But, for the time being, I'm just saying it was a little premature to crown Matt Campbell a potential savior for the Jets. At any rate, he's staying put for now, so the point is moot.

5. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I agree. I think we could do a lot worse than Marvin Lewis. If anyone had a stretch like he did from 2009-2015 they’d be called successful. Like I said, say what you will of his lack of playoff wins, but if you can say you can win your division/go to the playoffs 5/6 years then you’d be called a success.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's 45 years old and has been a coach for his entire professional life. He's not some 65 year old jag coordinator. It's the right progression to become a head coach.

There are valid arguments against Daboll but this is not one.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

He's been a coordinator for most of the last 10 years. For multiple teams too. That's not progression, thats stalling.

That's not my argument against him at all but it's not a plus imo. Look there are flaws with pretty much all of these candidates. I don't think any of them are sure thing hires unfortunately. My issue with Daboll is if he's some sort of qb guru then where was that every single one of these past 15 years besides this one? I know that there needs to be something to work with but I'd rather not hang my hat on the possibility that Allen's breakout is in part due to something Daboll did.

8. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Part of it is because a lot of people are sticking by their guns that Allen was a terrible prospect coming out of college. Yes, he and Danilo matched well, but he was the reason why Wyoming won any games with him in the team in a very QB unfriendly system in college.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It’s no fun when you volunteer for the darts. I get why you would be ok with him, I brought up the point in a previous post as well, who of all the candidates that have been interviewed so far fits that mold that Jets are looking for?

Lewis is the only one that has done it under very difficult circumstances.

I like Arthur Smith from Tennessee, he has survived multiple coaching changes in Tennessee and has shown himself to be a flexible OC that adapts his style to strength of his team, and he likes to run the ball to set up the pass. He is also a balanced OC, uses QB under center as well as shotgun.

I don’t want Dabol or Roman, they are the Wade Phillips of offensive coordinators, good at being OC but I don’t trust them as HC.

Other candidates like Bienemy and Aaron Glenn and Joe Brady could just not be ready to do it.

Really not sure what the answer is to be honest.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Parcells was a position coach/coordinator for 20 years. Sean Payton for 15 years. Andy Reid for 16 years. Belichick for 16 years.

List goes on man. It's not a knock. Not everyone is going to be Sean McVay and even he was in the sport for 11 years before breaking through as a head coach.

chandler, NCJetsfan and hobgoblin like this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I think he has something to prove in the playoffs, and I feel confident Douglas will be picking the groceries. I think that's the key that makes this work.
    I also think part of Lewis' willingness to hire folks like that in the first place is that he could get them at bargain prices--that was the only way to get that kind of talent to Cincinnati.

12. cmcm750203

I get it. I'm not really knocking the experience thing. The issue is that this is an insanely important hire. We've been irrelevant for the better part of a decade. Hell, take out 97-04 and 09-11 and we've pretty much been irrelevant my entire fandom. I don't want a coach that "may" be good. Honestly if we're gonna go the coordinate route I'd rather take the major chance that Brady is gonna be the next big thing than go the Daboll/Smith/Eberflaus route. If we strike out at least we tried to move our offense into current times

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Nah. When I see a Defensive HC try and put their finger prints on the offense it's disastrous. For example when Belichick pipes on his offense, they go for it on 4th down on their own 20 yard line in the first quarter. Or when Rex Ryan stated he needed to get more involved in the offense, we ran up the middle 3 times and punted the rest of the season.

Coach needs to coach the side of the ball he came from, where all his knowledge base is, and let an equally competent person coach the other side. A Defensive HC can give the OC some high-level stuff, like lets establish the run this week, but at the end of the day it's the OC calling plays and running the offense.

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I could sign this post easily. Perfect post reflecting my thought process. A little concerned due to his age and I am willing to look the other way in case he can bring in promising OC and DC with him.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If Jets feel Lewis is the guy they better sign him because reports are out that he might be hired by Lions.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

The Lions really should try to hire their new GM first.

Good to know somebody else in the league can't do anything in the right order...

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Chiefs hired Reid before Dorsey in 2013. It can happen when the HC has had success before.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have a gut feeling the following three will make the final short list: Smith, Saleh, Lewis, with Brady as the long shot for a second interview. I have no real facts behind my down select except the media rumor mill and piecing it all together. Of course, based on my track record of predicting selections it will be most likely someone else.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  19. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I'm bummed about Campbell...I wonder if they had a discussion on the down low already and things just didn't match up so. Would make sense about the interest and the original report from LaConfora w/ the follow on post by Campbell himself. Too much smoke there to think they didn't talk a bit, call it what you will...

Just one more thought...This whole "CEO" thing...I think we might be getting a bit too wrapped up in it. The HC is supposed to run the whole team by definition, "head" coach is the title of the position. The whole McVay effect threw things out of whack a bit with the dividing the team in half approach, but that's not the norm nor should it be. Even Reid leads the whole team but just keeps playing calling duties. So it's not as if the Jets are trying something new, they just deviated in a terrible way w/ the whole Gase/Williams thing dividing the team down the middle w/ that ridiculous "head coach of the offense / head coach of the defense" thing. Even if it had worked I never liked it. Please never do that again and let's do things the right way and hire the best leader for the team. That person is likely to have a speciality either O/D as they made their hay on one side of the ball or the other coming up the ranks wherever that was....But just because they may know more about one side than the other doesn't mean anything to me, it's the person that can accede to the new responsibility of leading an entire team that will be successful. The OC/DC that wants to just focus on that even after being promoted to HC will most likely be a disaster. Some people, the less successful ones, revert back to what they know even after receiving a promotion they sought. The reason is that they're one trick pony and can't adjust to the new job. Let's not do that again and let's not talk about it like it's a deviation from the norm, it's not...it's the actual deviation.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sometimes when it's LaCanfora, that's all there is, smoke. He's either being fed BS scoops or he's flat out lying. He gets it right once in a blue moon, but the rest of the time when he is wrong , he gets it completely wrong.

cmcm750203 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.