Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Play Like A Jet

If I recall correctly, prior to this season his offensive rankings have been pretty lackluster by most metrics. Yards per game, points per game etc.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Not sure I like the 'ceo' approach. That just adds a layer of bureaucracy between the HC with the so called 'vision' and the players who have to execute said vision.

What we had with Gase hands on running the O and Gregg Williams hands on running the D, that was a better arrangement. Wrong coaches, but better than a CEO wandering the halls trying to make sure all 3 phases are executing 'his' vision, whatever that is.

And how can a coach who comes from the D side even have a vision for how he wants to run his O? And visa versa. You really want a guy from the D side of the ball who's never even sat in on a single offensive mtg his entire life and never called a single play to suddenly have a intricate, detailed 'vision' for how he wants his offense to function?

Having a CEO just means there's more people to point fingers at when things go south.

3. The roster sucks.If you wanna blame him partially for that fine.

But when during his time in the NFL has Pederson been held in anything but the highest regard among peers & media EXCEPT for whats happened this season/week 17??

And JD who obv knows him extremely well is suddenly an idiot for believing in a guy hes gone to war with?? It was ok when he had interest in all those Baltimore assistants.But We dont trust his judgement now w a Super Bowl Winning coach who he KNOWS has had a bad season??

We all have our preferences.DP is certainly not my #1 but again..the outrage toward him confuses me

Red Menace and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but it’s a tough evaluation. Remember, you don’t want to hire a guy for what he did in the past. You want to hire him for what he’s going to do in the future.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because he was mediocre to mostly terrible up until this year when the GM of the team gave him literally everything he could possibly need to develop a young QB and run a potent offense.

Remember the last guy we hired that only one a good stretch of his career when he was handed elite level talent? I do.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Pederson would be a good hire.
    And I couldn’t care less that he didn’t help a 6 win team back door into playoffs, that’s not his responsibility.

He’s experienced, well regarded, and a Super Bowl champion head coach.
    Also on same page as Douglas.
    Checks a lot of boxes.

Would love to see what he could do with Darnold and/or a certain other North Dakota QB via the draft.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m liking it a lot, lot, lot.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Possibly, but if there's a certain way you want your new HC to function in the future, it's a good thing if the new HC has already functioned like that in the past. The past is really the only thing a GM has to go on.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong, Ravens are a strong defensive team but Smith is doing a good job of keeping his team in the game and put together a good game plan against them.

I believe he needs to run a little more sweeps to tire out the NT, also think Tanehill is the weak link on the offense, he’s not a gunslinger type QB that can make the defense pay for playing one on one.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, with Fields, he could have his own gun slinger, or may be even Wilson, or get the best out of Sam. May be even bring our boy Anderson back.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Also, they are too run heavy currently.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

A head coach that pays no mind to one side of the ball is the worst kind of arrangement the NFL has to offer. The only coach I can remember it working for is the Saints. Otherwise it's not a good idea.

NCJetsfan and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Saw article today talking about Jets trading picks for Pederson rights.
    Not only do I not want Pederson, I definitely do not want to give away draft capital for him.

For those not paying attention, Pederson has not exactly done wonders for Wentz, and I do not believe his downfall is solely due to injury.

The last 2 times we hired a head coach directly off a losing season with another team has not worked out so well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I think Wilson is more of an instinctive, scrambler, gunslinger type than Fields, and yes I would love Anderson back. It will never happen though.

LAJet likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

JD will be quickly knocked off my hero list if he would do anything that stupid.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t want to give up draft capital for him either. That would change the equation, but I think the interest is there if Philly lets him go.

in terms of Wentz, I don’t really know what happened this year.
    He was a lock for league MVP the year he ended up busting his knee though. And then of course he did great with Foles.

17. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Strong disagree. I wouldn't necessarily be mad about Daboll but he's nowhere near my top choice. I've brought this point up before but guys like him and Greg Roman who have been around forever as coordinators scare me because they tend to get propped up by their qbs (I know that's the case for a lot of OCs).

18. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Sorry but I disagree. What you saw with AG/GW was incongruity. i.e., other then implementing their schemes there seemed to be a lack - I believe no - communication and or strategy for situational FB. While the primary gold was to win - which they failed miserably at - they were not on the same page.

You need a coach that understands the game like BB, Reid, McVay, Shannan, etc., so that they can implement a strategy that utilizes a cultural change; thus, allowing the OC and DC to build their respective schemes to fit the overall strategy and the talent. That is what you need not more dysfunction.

Brook! likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Like I said in my post above... take a look at Daboll’s career before this year. He’s been a career assistant for two decades for a reason.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm willing to be the "I want Marvin Lewis" poster.

I know I'm just about the only one here willing to look at turning this franchise around on a geologic timescale, but here's how I see it:

Lewis is what, 62? Get him in here, with a guaranteed 7 or 8 year contract, one that ensures he won't be fired on a whim or because of one or two shitty seasons. I am of the opinion that Joe Douglas is already the best GM we've had at least since Weeb, and likely the best ever in Jets history. Douglas brings in the kinds of high-character, high-talent players he's been getting, Lewis brings a defined culture and and powerful steadying influence on the entire franchise. Together, they bring in the best YOUNG hotshot OC and DC candidates they possibly can. Set them up in competition to replace Lewis as HC when his contract is up. Lewis' job is to straighten out this fucked up franchise, despite garbage ownership--this part of the task is why I want strong, experienced, proven HC in this job. Lewis won't have to pick his battles and preserve political capital within the organization or the league-- he can impose his will where he needs to, and people will listen.

I have no doubts Lewis could win playoff games here, but even if he couldn't, that's not a deal-killer for me. I want him to turn this franchise into a perennial playoff team. The guy who comes after him is the guy I am excited about taking this team to the top.

I get it, most of you will call bullshit, and say that is way way way too far off. That's fine. I've seen plenty of turn around attempts with this franchise and others, and I get it--there's never enough time to do it the right way, but there's always time to fire everybody, and do it all again, and again, and again, and again, and again.

It probably won't happen, anyway, but you guys go ahead throw some darts, I'm volunteering for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.