Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say never change the scheme, but we certainly need some consistency and stability. This is the key point for me as we move forward. I have commented about this a couple of times already, but it isn't the changing of HCs itself that has been the problem for the Jets. It has been the constant changing of schemes each new time a new HC was hired and either one or both of the schemes were changed, so as a result, our roster had to keep turning over, and the players that were retained had to learn a totally new system. That's why good players like Jonathan Vilma and others were traded. It's absolutely insane. IMO Douglas needs to decide upon what schemes that we will run for the foreseeable future, and then stick to them. Hopefully, with the hire he makes, the HC will be successful and can be here a long time, so the schemes won't have to change. I would hope that even if coordinators changes, that the HC would stick with the same basic schemes and hire new coordinators adept at those schemes. I may be mistaken, but I think that's what teams like the Steelers, the Ravens, and the Patriots have done, what the 49ers did, and that led to great stability. Of course some systems go out of "fashion" so at some point, they may need to be changed, and as players retire or are replaced, the systems should be tweaked to adjust to the talent of the new players rather than forcing them to fit into a system for which they aren't a good fit. That's where the HC and GM must work together to identify players who are the right scheme fits and draft them, rather than taking BPAs and hoping that they will fit.

IMO any competent OC ought to be able to run any offensive scheme. He may have one that he prefers above all the rest, but he should be willing to be flexible, adjust and adapt as necessary. I hope these Coordinators who have a set system and expect that all players have to fit into and adapt to their system rather than vice versa, will soon go the way of the dinosaurs. IMO it's lazy, egotistical, inefficient, wastes talent, has an adverse affect on teams and on W-L records, and I hope those types of coordinators never exist again.

As far as Bieniemy, if he is hired it should be as a CEO, and the play calling should be left up to the OC he hires. I have zero interest in his learning how to call plays on our dime. I wouldn't have a problem with his implementing Reid's scheme or Bieniemy's version of Reid's scheme as long as we have the personnel to fit it and wouldn't have to get rid of Bectorn or Mims or Crowder. With the NFL adapting more and more college schemes, I'd rather the Jets be on the leading edge of something for once, rather than 10 years behind everyone else. I wouldn't want the HC to be totally uninvolved with the side of the ball where he has expertise, as that would not be taking full advantage of his talents and knowledge. I think the schemes should come from the HC rather than the coordinators. That's how one would maintain consistency; otherwise, every time a coordinator changed, schemes/system would change. Again, I'm hoping that Douglas makes the right hire and that HC will be here for at least 15-20 years so we have a long period of stability using the same systems, being able to keep good players that we drafted, and not have all the constant turnover.

You're not overthinking this at all, Red, at least not imo. I think it all just depends upon what Douglas means by "CEO." There are different ways he could go with that.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL. 3 weeks ago 90% of TGG wanted Gase fired on the spot for refusing to tank for better draft picks....and now we want nothing to do with Pederson because he did just that?

3. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. We are rebuilding and will have a rookie QB, the odds favor teams winning with QBs on their rookie contracts. I think's silly to say that we don't need a HC who lead us to the SB right now. IMO nothing could be further from the truth.

4. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Let’s be honest here. The Eagles roster stinks. It has some players that were still around when they were good and that usually leads to issues in the locker room. What the Eagles are experiencing is pretty similar to what went on the last three years of Rex. Odd combination of young players sprinkled in with vets who are used to winning.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not me. I think tanking is the stupidest fan-made theory in sports. No coach should EVER tank which is why you rarely see it happen.

6. NCJetsfan

That's not true at all. 90% of us were hoping the Jets would lose, but only a few were hoping/thinking that Douglas and/or Gase should tank for Lawrence. There's a difference between hoping your team loses so as to get better draft position or a specific player, but quite another to want or think your GM or HC should intentionally tank.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Wait you seriously think there is any chance Fields falls out of the top 5 let alone 1st round?

8. NCJetsfan

It would be totally stupid to trade picks for any HC at this point, but it would be a whole other level of stupidity to trade for Pederson. That would guarantee that I'm not only done with the Jets, but would actively root against them and hope that they never won another game.

JohnnyP123456 and LAJet like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

The hire is Douglas', not the Johnsons. Not even Chris Johnson is stupid enough to want to trade picks to hire yet another failed HC.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  10. I guess where the anti Pederson bit confuses me is we’re letting 1 game/half a season 3 yrs removed from a SB dictate our opinion? Guy has a strong body of work.Look where the Eagles were at w Chip Kelly before he arrived.

Poeman likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Douglas bringing nothing to the table? ROFLMAO! Right! SMH Will the crazy takes/opinions of Jets fans never stop?

12. JetFan20

Failed HC? He won a super bowl!

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They should just let him be fired and then interview him if they want, but not trade for him.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but imo there's nothing even remotely in touch with reality about your post.

I disagree that the Rams and Browns wins hurt the team tremendously, and I disagree that there were big names interested in us and now only crickets. The wins hurt the fanbase, but not the team. You're listening to the media, who guess and make shit up. That isn't reality. The change between drafting #1 and #2 is not that big. If any potential HC candidate lost interest in the Jets because we didn't get Lawrence, then he is just a lazy mfer, didn't really want to coach the Jets anyway, and isn't the right man for the job. They can take a hike.

Seriously? Fields falling out of the first round? You know I respect you, that is just utter nonsense and totally ridiculous, and I can't believe that you even think, much less post something so ridiculous.

15. NCJetsfan

I don't think he deserves an interview. If Douglas is seriously interested in Pederson, then I'm seriously off of the Douglas train.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, they should interview whomever they want, but I'm totally opposed to hiring a guy who openly threw a game, sorry. And no, I was never one here who wanted the Jets to tank.

Footballgod214 and Red Menace like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Why in the heck would you not want Brian Daboll? He's the best candidate for the job.

hobgoblin, Footballgod214 and Trainer like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

He doesn't just lack HC experience, he lacks coaching experience at any level. I think the idea of even considering him for HC is insane, much less actually interviewing him and possibly hiring him. I think it would be an unmitigated disaster.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I was never in on the tank either, I want my team to win. With regards to Pederson, I don’t care if they interview him, I just want someone fresh like Arthur Smith, not another coach who has been fired.

SOJAZ and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. JetFan20

And look at where the Eagles are now. The program and young QB (who they just paid) spontaneously combusted under his watch. Pretty similar to Gase in that regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.