Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no way he or anyone could turn Iowa St. into a contender. IMO you aren't being realistic at all. He has 3/4 of the budget (or less) that schools like OSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Clemson, et al have). He has been able to recruit zero 5 star players, and only a handful of 4-star players. You aren't going to win a championship without topnotch talent, resources and facilities.

JohnnyP123456 and Noam like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

edit: quoted wrong post

#962 GQMartin, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  3. Im leaning toward Bienemy.Hes been a legit candidate for acouple years now. Seems as though hes been the “CEO” of chiefs O working w QBs,WRs & OL in collaboration w Reid. Not so concerned if he called plays or not.

Can he give close to equal contributions to both sides of the ball while still giving his O an advantage w his current skillset? Can he put together a good staff?Will he work well w JD to give this team an identity & quality culture? I lean toward yes w all of these questions

Guys seem to wanna play for him but also respect him as an authority. Think that matters right now w where this team is at & also where this sport is at.

sozopol and FJF like this.
  4. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

What I'm about to say is not a pessimist, it's reality:

The Rams and Browns wins hurt this team tremendously. It's not a coincidence we heard about all the big names being interested in the Jets a few weeks ago and there are crickets now.

Similarly, Fields hurt his stock by losing the way he did to Indiana and Northwestern. He went from being 1a 1b with TL, to now potentially falling out the 1st round. This is after his big game vs. Clemson.

It's all on Douglas to have to find the not so obvious right answers at HC and QB to make this team competitive again.

Meanwhile, Shad Khan is drinking cocktails on his yacht with Urban Meyer--

That's what two meaningless wins will do for you.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I sure don't know what JD and the FO are thinking, but my concept of a "CEO HC" is one who does have strong ideas based on his experience, and conveys them to his OC/DC who he has chosen based upon those strong ideas he has of how the offense and defense should be implemented. Then, as the "CEO" he manages those coordinators to get the outcomes he envisioned. What he doesn't do is involve himself on one side to the exclusion of the other groups like Gase, Bowles, and Ryan did, to mention the three most recent coaches.

But I do trust that Douglas knows all this and will avoid that pitfall.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

7. ColoradoContrails

I'm not advocating for Lewis (though I think there's some merit to hiring him), but wouldn't you have to think that he got his OJT out of the way those first five years, and would come here ready to build on the successes he's had?

8. Play Like A Jet

Everyone wants the next Sean McVay. The next McVay is staring us in the face in Joe Brady.

I understand that he lacks HC experience but I'd rather be a little too early on him than be too late. McVay had no HC experience either and unlike Brady wasn't the OC for the best offense in college football history.

JohnnyP123456, LAJet and cmcm750203 like this.
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

James Morgan fans rejoice everywhere if Pederson comes to the Jets.

10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ok, but that's his problem to deal with.

11. BroadwayAaron

I’m heavily leaning this way myself. I would have loved to see what he could do with McCaffrey and a more versatile QB. I bet those Carolina offensive numbers would have looked a lot better. That being said... we have no McCaffrey and Carolina’s top three WRs would all be WR1 on our team minus Robby. Our job is a tall task but I feel good about Brady.

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Brady with a veteran like Lewis as DC....

13. BroadwayAaron

This paragraph confuses me greatly.

14. ColoradoContrails

This would be like having Captain Smith (having improbably escaped a watery grave) of the Titanic being asked to steer her sister ship, the Britannic, across the North Atlantic. It would be a classic SOJ (Same Old Johnsons) thing to do. I would end my almost 6 decades of rooting for the Jets at that point.

15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Low 1st rounder? Losses to IND and Northwestern?
    You wouldn't happen to be Mel Kiper or Todd McShay?

FJF likes this.
  16. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Makes zero sense. And in one of those games (Indiana) his team put up 42 pts and 35 in the first half.

Vs Northwestern he was playing the #1 pass efficiency defense in the country (they have two all American dbacks) without his top WR and with a broken thumb.

Sermon also ran for 331 yds so it’s clear Northwestern was game planning to stop Fields.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe Manish hacked his account. :p

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of Marvin Lewis for Jets HC.

I think they NEED a experienced HC they tried it with coach Gase it didn't work that doesn't mean they shouldn't go back to the well again.

Frank Gore said this is a very young team they need guidance. That goes for the front office Douglas is a first time GM, they're expected to draft a QB at #2.

First time GM, rookie QB, young team they NEED to get some NFL experience inside the organization.

Marvin Lewis is likely the best available experienced option.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

RE: Doug Pederson

And take it with a bit of a grain of salt from a lifetime Cowboy as well as Jenkins comments.

Another one

Locker room chaos is all good when you're winning. But it's not sustainable - we've seen it with the Rex Ryan model.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I agree, I think it seems like a good fit in terms of what the team is looking for. We are very young and people respect Lewis. He needs to have a great staff though

Snatch Catch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.