Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Let us hope so. Great for us.

2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Can't agree with you here, Brook.

Brook! likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The CEO-type coaches have one huge hurdle to get over before they seriously consider the Jets. They need to know that the only voices in the organization that matter report to either them or to Joe Douglas. The Jets have a bad habit of having leaks that pop up from nowhere and cause problems for the organization.

Mehta is gone but the organization's rep as a ship with loose cannons on deck is still there.

Brook! likes this.
  4. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

That’s a good point. If Douglas is making the hire I can’t see him locking in on a big name college guy. Those guys typically like to run the show. Look how Rhule ran the GM out of town in Carolina.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not sure. He is mentioned every year, but is there a reason why the deal is never closed? Read yesterday that he dies not interview well. I still like Smith best.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You make many good points, but ex-jets coach Parcells said "You are what your record says you are."

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Where did you get that? Is that just speculation on your part? Based on what I've heard locally, Rhule had nothing to do with it. It was all owner David Tepper's idea. He wants someone younger, more into analytics and technology.

LAJet likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Parcells was an ass, and he didn't know everything. He was also talking about the NFL, not college ball. BIG difference.

9. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Campbell has done a good job of rebuilding Iowa State's program, no doubt. But they still aren't a tip top program. It's certainly possible that Campbell could, if he continues there, build Iowa State into a championship contender. Or, maybe this is the best he can get from them. At any rate, I think he's a bit of a gamble right now. I don't want a guy who just builds a team to be respectable. I want to see a guy who is going to build champions.

#909 Linebacker712, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Ok, they're 9-3 and a top-10 team in the nation. :D

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, when you say top 10, they are actually #10, not really one of the dominant College programs. I think Campbell is solid, and did a really good job in Iowa, no doubt about it. But is it enough to take over struggling NFL franchise and make them a contender? Has he really developed any great QBs yet, doesn't look that way. It seems a bit of a leap to me. If we take someone from College, I would have liked someone with a bit more pedigree. Not that Campbell is sure to fail, just a rather big risk that it might me too much too soon.

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, but those rankings you're looking at are actually the last polls done at the end of the regular season. Since then ISU has won their bowl game and #4, #7, and #8 have lost, so they'll finish higher. And them being there is more impressive to me at this point then Clemson finishing in the top-5, but not playing in the Championship game.

In terms of QB development, Campbell is a guy who is known for not forcing his specific system on a kid, but instead building a system to maximize existing talent. He took a 3-star recruit in Brock Purdy and had him completely rewrite the school's record book...by the time he was just a sophomore. After announcing he'll return as a senior next year, he'll end up so far ahead of anyone that's ever played there. He was getting some draft buzz, too, which is impressive considering both his and ISU's pedigree. This is from the beginning of the season:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...dy-cusp-owning-yet-another-record/6158614002/

But it looks like you'll get your wish, as he's not under consideration. On to the next.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I wanted a HC that had prior experience but honestly, with what they're doing I'll settle for a coordinator...

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Does Campbell still not warrant a place in the main poll rather than under other?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

According to Canfora Campbell is interviewing with the Jets.

K'OB likes this.
  16. JetFan20

That report was debunked late last night unfortunately.

It’s either going to be a coordinator or Marvin Lewis.

Noam likes this.
  17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Really hoping it's not 62 year old retread Marvin Lewis. We need someone exciting, someone with some fire.

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Wish our government had the same perspective :rolleyes:

Footballgod214 likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

My concern with this new CEO type HC approach that is being presented by Jets FO is how does this affect the scheme that is used on offense or defense?

Every candidate being interviewed has their own scheme whether it’s on defense or offense.

Will they have to give up control of the scheme? Can they implement their own scheme and simply hire a DC or OC to run it? Is a DC or OC that is hire by CEO HC going to agree to use someone else’s scheme?

I don’t think the CEO philosophy is going to work unless Jets and new HC decide to have one scheme on offense and defense for the team and never change it. Otherwise they will be constantly changing personnel based on the OC or DC they hire to work under CEO HC.

Let’s just say Eric Bienemy is hired, does he get to implement his scheme and call his own plays on offense? Or does he just sit back and manage the game and let his OC implement his scheme and call the plays?

If the latter is the case why would Jets hire Bienemy or Arthur Smith when they can’t actively partake in building the offense?

Maybe I’m overthinking this but there are some red flags with this CEO type of HC Jets FO is trying to sell to its fans.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. JetFan20

I think Marvin has about as much if not more of a chance to be successful than any coordinator they hire.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.