Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Many thanks. The second round of interviews after the down select will tell it all. I’m pumped about the process so far.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

A few things. We talk about a 'CEO' type HC that oversees all 3 phases, while the OC, DC, and Teams C carry out 90% of the hands on stuff. So....beyond the HC, who would you like to see as our OC? DC? since those guys will be doing most of the heavy lifting. That Bush guy we had take over for Gregg W seems to have done a good job. 'Sideways' moves aren't permitted, so we can't just snag some other teams OC or DC. Gotta get creative. College ranks maybe? Or an older guy like Rex Ryan for DC?

Also, we say the new HC has to have a 'vision' for our team going forward. I would think that 'vision' would have to be around most of the players with the abilities we have now. JoeD can only bring in just a few new starters per season. What 'vision' would you like to see our new HC have for our Defense? Offense?

3. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

I would love Matt Campbell. Nothing would make me happier.

4. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I'm going to throw my two cents in here...If you're interviewing for your c-suite for a billion $ enterprise because that's what this is, let's be honest, you have your list and your have your short list. With zero insight at all into JD's process, I'm sure he's been compiling a list since about week 7. He's probably got about 15 names consisting of the world of possible interviews, about 5 of those being the true candidates from what they know at the start of the list compilation. They need a big list as they'll never know who's interested, who's available, who will bomb the interview etc...so they probably have their top 5 in their head but the list is all encompassing to account for people in their top 5 they lose along the way. They back channel, through friends/contacts/agents to get a feel of "hey, are you at all interested or do you have zero interest" etc...to rule people in or off the list...

Since this is the initial round of an all encompassing search, used to justify their top 5 or reconfigure it, it's probably about 2hrs as they won't bog down their day/staff with long interviews of folks who have almost zero shot at the job barring something totally unforeseen...some of the top 5 will totally bomb the initial interview...some outside the top 5 will be awesome even if they don't get the job. But the real meat and potatoes will begin w/ the second round of interviews and who makes the cut. That's when they'll get into the 4-6hr interviews, just a guess mind you...It's good and bad to be honest as there's the interview and then there's the body of work. Do you rate someone more highly that kills it in the interview but has a lesser body of work than some of the other candidates or do you emphasize body of work over the interview...who knows right...but I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 1st round here, other than you'll know the world of candidates...the fact they're moving quickly through the 1st round really backs up that point. Let's see who makes the second round, I know thanks Captain obvious, because I'm guessing that list has already been created and may shuffle one or two names around prior, but guessing they already have a good idea who's a serious contender and it's not Lewis etc...

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now that's what I call an educated opinion.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes I think he is supposed to interview this coming week.

LAJet likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The coordinators should be whoever the HC wants.

9. NCJetsfan

I have a question about Lewis as HC. I don't remember, but I think his offenses were pretty good in Cincinnati. Was he conservative or pretty aggressive? I like aggressive attacking offenses and defenses. I hate passive read and react crap on defense and conservative offenses.

If he is more progressive and would hire young, progressive coordinators, he might be a decent choice as HC. He certainly changed the culture in Cincinnati and has been a CEO before. He couldn't be here all that long, but perhaps could groom one of the coordinators to become our new HC, and could spend 3-4 years getting us on the right track and then step down. My other concern with him is that even though he brought in a lot of very good talent in Cincinnati (at least a lot better than it had been), he had some bad character types. He would have to understand that JD is not bringing in any of those types here.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Supposedly, it doesn't matter what CJ loves, it's who/what JD loves and thinks is the right man for the job.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I LIKE that "First Daboll interview" !!!

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I really feel JD is bringing a lot of guys he is not truly considering just to get their thoughts on things. Or potentially consider later for a coordinator spot. For instance, I would love to know what Colts coordinators thinks of Sam, even though I would not hire for HC just yet. Just to pick brain of these successful people, maybe even get some intel. Or say we interviewed Harbaugh, I wonder what analysis he could give on say Fields as possible #2. I think JD is doing his due diligence, and we see a lot of names now who have 0 chance of being a HC here.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I agree, but I don't think he's interviewing anyone with thoughts of their becoming a coordinator. He has said that is up to the HC. He's not going to force a coordinator or coach on the new HC. Also, the only guy he is interviewing so far that is not already a coordinator is Aaron Glenn. He could be interviewing him because he's a former Jet to help him prepare for future interviews or in case the new HC wants a recommendation for a DC or other defensive position coach.

I agree that he's probably getting different perspectives on the situation and gathering intel. After all, AFAIK, this is the first time that he has ever hired anyone for anything. Certainly, it's the first time in the capacity of GM that he has hired a HC. Even though he has identified that he wants a CEO type and a culture changer, there could be other traits that he hasn't made his mind up on yet, and be using these interviews to refine what he is looking for, as well as refining/polishing his interviewing skills. I think it's smart to interview a lot of people and get differing perspectives on the Jets roster, what types of systems they would install, maybe players they would like to add in the draft, etc. In addition to possibly hearing some valuable feedback and perspectives on the Jets and on approaches that they would take, it helps him ascertain a clearer value for Jets' players, and could give him insights into whom other teams could be drafting. It's also a great way to get to know other coaches in the NFL and he can keep a file on them for future reference. He can possibly glean in game tendencies to help our new CS, but also maintain a file for future possible hires.

Borat and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I also believe that Iowa State program is due to take a step back next year. Even if Purdy comes back (which I imagine he will) and with Hall returning, they have some guys graduating/Kolar going to the NFL and Oklahoma is going to run train on that entire conference next year.

Campbell's stock is at an all-time high and will only come down from here IMO. Doubt they get to a NY6 bowl next year.

15. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Yep, I think I actually might've been the one who posted a tweet about it. My thinking for that is that if CJ already loves him and JD wants to move forward with him that he (JD) would be allowed to make a relatively aggressive offer

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. JohnnyP123456

Yep. If I remember correctly Todd Monken interviewed really well back in 2018 so much that he was the OC that the HC search party demanded that Rhule hire as OC.

Being able to interview guys is a very valuable tool especially for first time/collegiate HCs who might need more guidance/direction/suggestions for coordinator roles. Obviously nothing is concrete though.

17. JohnnyP123456

Another reason which has made me cautiously optimistic RE Campbell is that Ryan Day is not going to leave Ohio State anytime soon and Campbell's an Ohio guy

18. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

If Campbell does take the interview this time something has changed.

Is it Douglas? Or maybe Campbell really likes Fields?

At the very least, like Douglas, he's very respected amongst the ranks.

NCJetsfan and GQMartin like this.
  19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Have you seen this?

lewis gets a bad rap because he didn’t win in the playoffs but listen to what type of ownership he was dealing with.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From my perspective, based on my own experience with senior interviews, JD is currently doing due diligence and exploring all viable options with an open mind, getting first impressions of each individual from a leadership and vision perspective, getting some inside into what he is all about. Primarily, do I have confidence this individual can lead and develop this team into a long term winner. It will help him evaluate qualifications and how character and make up traits fit the vision JD has for a coach. It will help him tremendously in setting the stage for a down select. While he might have some pre conceived idea as to the “short list” he is entering the process with a clean sheet of paper without pre supposing the answer, and with the expectation that a few will stand out above the rest by their insightful inputs to the questions and long term view of the team moving forward.
    I doubt he is wasting his time on people that are in no way HC material for the Jets at this time. I think that each and everyone brings certain qualities he wants to explore in his search for the best fit. Most all these are hot coordinators and or college HC and they will only move for a HC position.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.