Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Not Eric B ??

2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I wonder how long these zoom interviews are? Pre-Covid the typical coach interview would last 4 to 6 hours. I am guessing these zoom calls might be a lot shorter.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

He took over a school that was in a battle with Kansas for being the literally worst program in the Big 12. They won a TOTAL of 8 games in the THREE YEARS prior to his arrival five years ago (8-28). He's now got them averaging 8 wins a year over the last four seasons, played in the Big 12 Championship game, and won two bowl games, including a win in a New Year's Six bowl (Fiesta) this year.

Iowa State has 123 football seasons in the books, going back to 1895. This year was only the third time they've ever won 9 games. Before Campbell took over it had been a full decade since Iowa State had even been ranked for a single week. This year Campbell led the school to the highest ranking it's ever achieved in those 123 seasons of football. In fact, before Campbell got there, Iowa State had only been ranked in the preseason top-25 ONCE in it's history, and that was over 40 years ago in 1978. Campbell had them ranked in the top-25 the last two years straight.

Whether or not he'll be successful in the NFL is up for debate, but reducing the man to his win-loss record is way too simplistic to understand the undeniably masterful job he's done since becoming the head coach at Iowa State. He took one of the worst power-5 programs in the nation and has made them into a CFP contender. It's truly remarkable.

4. Snatch Catch

Here's an AP article on Campbell and his style:

https://apnews.com/article/college-...all-football-f7b4a897b852a10542c3eec484ffbedc

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It appears the Jets are interviewing Campbell according to Canfora in a PFT article.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

exactly my concern.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Looks like we are interviewing Matt Campbell.

Tells me he is open to leaving since he didn’t want to interview last time around.

Rockinz, Jonathan_Vilma, Noam and 2 others like this.
  8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

GQ. I am reading so many great things about this guy. Know nothing about him but he seems to be the right CEO type coach this team needs. I hope it happens.

Rockinz likes this.
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yep. I’m assuming it would be like Marvin Lewis Asst Coach / D Coord or something to help him acclimate

Rockinz and Brook! like this.
  10. Snatch Catch

I'm a big Campbell supporter and would love it if they managed to steal him away from Ames, but the one concern I have on him is that he's not the best CEO candidate. He's undeniably a leader and unbelievable culture guy, but he's very involved and hands on - I don't see him as the big boss with everyone churning out work underneath him, he's really hands on and involved in the minutia, I believe.

Not that it's a problem, but just that he doesn't fit the ideal "CEO" role from what I've seen. This is a roll his sleeves up and do it himself or alongside the employee type of coach.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

For sure several of these guys would make a good coach for the Jets. There is no perfect selection. But with so many clubs looking for a HC the key is to find someone who has a clear vision and can assemble a good staff. Wait too long and you get what's left.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. RUNY

RUNY New Member

Have to be careful with non-established “CEO” type coaches.

I am all for a guy like that, but often, the team can tune the coach out.

Brook! likes this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

With the Bills win today, that pushes back a possible Daboll selection for at least a week. Some teams start to get antsy as they see others start to sign their HC. Have to wonder what effect the playoffs will have on the process.
    Daboll is still the guy I want. Hoping the Jets will be patient.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not certain that is a negative rather than a positive. It could lead to premature burnout or a strained relationship with his OC, but as long as he's involved with the whole team, I wouldn't necessarily see it as a problem. At least he has experience as a HC and has been a HC for a number of years. I actually it's much more likely that one of the coordinators like Eberflus or Saleh, would have much more difficult time letting go of the D and overseeing the offense and STs, especially since both have been so involved and are so passionate about their Ds and being creative and analyzing what they can do differently. They might have a very difficult time letting go of that and focusing on offense and STs. In that regard, I'd much rather take my chances with someone who already has experience as a HC and knows how to focus on everything than someone who has never been a HC and has to learn how to be a HC. I would also trust a coordinator like Daboll who has been coaching for over 20 years more than I would a younger coordinator who doesn't have nearly the experience of Daboll, and who hasn't worked under the quality HCs that he has.

My favorites remain #1 Brian Daboll, #2 Matt Campbell, #3 Arthur Smith

15. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Obviously not my first choice (i've been campaigning for Campbell since 2018) but I would be very interested in that combo

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Have the Jets already requested permission to interview Daboll at some point?

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, while I'm not ruling out coordinators - I actually like Smith from the Titans of that group - I really prefer a guy who has head coaching experience, even if it's only college level. The duties of a HC, and being able to not get dragged down into one group or another, is not so easily acquired. In fact, some guys never are able to do it - look at Rex, Bowles, and of course the Genius. And we've had a string of coordinators who were never able to make that step up.

At the same time, I don't want a guy whose HC'ing experience was a failure. Sure, some guys learn from that and become good or even great, but most just continue to struggle because there was a reason they failed that they either wouldn't or couldn't change.

As I look at the known candidates so far, the only NFL HCs I see that I'd want are: Cowher and Lewis. Cowher probably isn't coming back, but the rumor has never been finally squelched AFAIK. I'm lukewarm about Lewis - he has a winning record overall, but he has never succeeded in the playoffs. Still, he knows the job and has succeeded in a tough AFC Division.

My list of preferred coordinators is headed by Arthur Smith, then Daboll, then Saleh, then Eberflus, I'm lukewarm about Bienamy for all the reasons others have expressed.

From college I like Campbell, Fitzgerald, and a dark horse Ryan Day if we get Fields.

Anyway, that's my thoughts at this point.

tomdeb, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You described the reasons I like Smith best of all the coordinators, and maybe best overall, even though I prefer a guy who has HC'ing experience.

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

First Daboll interview is supposed to be tomorrow, I believe.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

As most of y'all know, I've been really pushing the Matty Campbell train (since 2018 ahah). I didn't think that he'd interview this time around so this rumor that he might be interviewing is getting my hopes up a little.

I think that if he does interview, it might end up being a bit like the Rhule interview with Carolina last year - though with the virtual environment it would be different - that they pretty much asked him what he wanted to be HC and wouldn't let him leave. I think it's obvious that he was one of CJ's top candidates back in '18. Now does JD really love him as much? that's the question

hobgoblin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.