Realistic FA Targets for Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Shocking how far that lad fell in the draft, proved them wrong and fair play to him.

#21 K'OB, Jan 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    blackssmagic and Footballgod214 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

According to Spotrac $19m/season is market value for Golladay, $19.8m for Robinson, $17.2m for Godwin, and $10m for Davis. That's why I went with Davis in my offseason plan. I don't think JD will go for 17+m per season for any FA, but hopefully, I'm wrong.

3. NCJetsfan

Chris Godwin definitely. I have no interest in Ju Ju. The guy's an idiot, first dancing on the home team's logo, then his comments about the Browns prior to the Steelers game against them this weekend. He can't keep his mouth shut and stay focused on what HE needs to do. Besides, he's a slot WR and we have Crowder.

azhar80 and JetsNation06 like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I always believe that you can never go wrong drafting the best available player so we need to put our cap space to work to shore up our team.

My number one target would be Brandon Scherff OG.

He is 29 years old and we should lock him up for the next five years (should cost at least $15 mil per year but is money well spent) to control the line of scrimmage.

Becton and Scherff would be our Brick and Mangold for years.

That way we can go into the draft with the flexibility to add a tackle, guard, or center without needing a specific position filled.

Next item on the agenda is to bring Leonard Williams DL home.

Getting a second round pick for him and locking him up for the next five years now that he has proven himself.

It would give us more bargaining power when it comes time to resign Quinnen Willams and should end the parade of wasted draft picks going forward.

He won't come cheap but we just can't have opposing teams running up the middle and getting away with it.

Next up is Justin Simmons S.

We left a big hole in our defense with the big trade last year.

Much like with Leonard Williams we get to keep all of the draft picks we got and pretty much get back what we traded away with Jamal Adams.

Simmons will cost slightly less that our first two free agents pickups ($10-13 mil per year should work).

Again I would be looking to lock him up for five years as he is only 27.

Fourth on the list would be Hunter Henry TE.

Tight ends with his rare mix of height and speed are so hard to find.

With Henry and Crowder we will finally have some weapons that can help us move the ball through the air.

We should have some cap room to fix some other problems but extending Crowder and bringing back guys like Hewett and Maye should also be priorities.

I am tempted to add a few more big names but we need to be creative and flexible with our remaining cap space.

Adding these four pieces and bringing back our own core free agents makes us very dangerous.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Yep and I have no problem with that. He's proven himself as a true #1 receiver without the benefit of either elite QB or great coaching.

I also draft Toney out of the University of Florida with our second round pick. Dude is gonna be a star in the league and takes over the slot after Crowder leaves.

NCJetsfan and tomdeb like this.
  6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not interested in JU JU either. But he has said he likes playing with Sam, so if the jets keep Darnold I would not be surprised if Douglas signs him.

NCJetsfan and Lon Chaney like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't see any of the top receiving targets having any incentive at all to come to the Jets unless we pay over the top more than they are worth and more than anyone else offers, and that formula always seems to work so well for the Jets.

It's going to be another one of those FA periods where the Jets have a ton of money and nobody wants it.

I can see them paying top receiver money to a guy that doesn't deserve it and never lives up to it.

8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Can we get anybody though? He doesn't have to be an elite player, but like damn starting Luvu and Basham for multiple years is just a joke.

Even guys like Bud Dupree or Melvin Ingram on a 1 year deal would be a major upgrade. We must be the worst team at the edge position in the league by a mile at this point.

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I'd be concerned about Fuller's injury history.

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whoever or whatever the Team needs it will be JD taking the Cheapest and Best Value FA

Then on to the 2021 Draft!

rickjet and Footballgod214 like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At this point I'd sign both Bud Dupree and Aldon Smith plus draft an edge early if one is available.

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why JD prefers to draft his talent and look to FA for 1yr cheap patch jobs. Perriman for example.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Since we are most likely not going to be taking the best receiver in the country second overall, then our free agency priorities are pissed clear: wide receiver, wide receiver and wide receiver. Unfortunately the market doesn’t really seem to favor us. The players good enough to make a huge impact are going to sign with contenders and the guys we will have a crack at we will have to overpay to sign.

I guess I can’t answer this question until we know what “realistic“ is. Who is our head coach? Who is our quarterback? If we somehow end up with Watson and Bieniemy or Campbell or another high profile name then all of a sudden The definition of “realistic“ expands. If we take a rookie second overall, is anyone going to sign up for at least a two or three-year process while they are in their prime? If we stick with Sam, is there anyone that is willing to risk years of their prime to find out if he can be saved?

Way too many questions. I know the names of people I would love to sign but cause I don’t know if we have any shot at them until we figure out three or four things before hand.

14. NCJetsfan

With regards to the bold, maybe not. Remember that the cap will be lower and most teams won't have the cap space to sign one of the top WRs without cutting several players. I think our chances of signing a WR may be pretty good. If Arthur Smith becomes the HC, then Davis could very well sign here, or maybe some of the other guys would want to play in his offense.

I agree that there are a number of factors that will determine how realistic it is for us to sign any of the top FAs. I think JD's willingness to use a huge chunk of the cap space on a WR, who our new HC is, who our QB is and what style of offense we are playing will be the factors that determine whether we are able to sign a FA WR or not.

rickjet likes this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I read the same thing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We could trade down to the 4-12 range where WR would be one of many possibilities we could choose from.

ouchy likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

and

AWESOME! I didn't see that. I sure hope it's true.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

bud dupree very likely shakes loose from pitt

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is awesome. Guard first priority in free agency with a stud WR right along with it. Knowing JD OL will definitely be addressed again. We are one top OG from having a top ten OL.

apjbfc and ColoradoContrails like this.