Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

they don't have a practice field even!

sucked big before and after him

his lack of playoff wins is obviously a concern and would need thought but can't argue with the comps of before and after with no support

connection to Ravens too where he arguably had one of the best defenses ever

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

agree.

If they want a CEO type coach Lewis seems like he would be high on the list.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Were casting a wide net.

I dont hate Lewis, and dont love him.

One and done Lewis would still be an upgrade.

But I dont want to be done after one.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In your wildest dreams can you imagine anybody else who could have taken the Jets from 1-15 to the AFC Championship Game in 2 years?

That's what a perfect hire is. The guy who does something positive that nobody else on earth could have managed.

He singlehandedly changed the Jets culture from brow-beaten ridiculed losers to one of the most feared teams in the NFL.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People on this board bring up the Pace trade all the time.

Yet none of them want Sewell at two.
    LOL

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Parcells also knew that LT was not a stumbling block for what his task was. He had a proven LT in Jumbo Elliot who he knew from prior experience coaching him.

What people rarely take into account when they discuss Parcells and the Jets is what he signed up to do. He had two seasons to get the Jets from worst in the NFL to the Super Bowl, three at the outside. He knew this coming in the door. He almost made it.

ouchy and SOJAZ like this.
  7. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Orlando Pace was the most dominant olineman I ever saw in college. Sewell has played a season and a half.

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They may have him be the assistant HC/DC to Martindale

ouchy likes this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Justin Fields has played a season and a half as well but it does not stop people from wanting him at number 2.

ouchy likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That is excellent, thank you. I have to tell you, the more I read and hear, the more I’m impressed with Saleh from a strategic, high passion leadership perspective and ability to continuously modify and improve schemes.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Bengals last playoff win was January 6, 1991. That means that while he didn't win a playoff game, he took a team that hadn't sniffed a playoff game in 15 years to the playoffs. Then he took them to the playoffs five straight years. Hell, the Jets haven't been to the playoffs in 10 years, and have only had consecutive playoff seasons twice in their history--and never three in a row.

There's something to be said for consistency.

Note: January 6, 1991 wasn't the last playoff win before Marvin Lewis--it was their last playoff win to this day. Think about that. That was literally their Tecmo Super Bowl roster. Imagine if the last time the Jets won a playoff game was with Dennis Byrd and Al Toon. That was just before Desert Shield kicked off. Eastern and Pan Am were still active airlines. The Soviet Union, East Germany, and Yugoslavia were still countries.

#712 TwoHeadedMonster, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

All well and good. Yes, the Bengals organization has sucked for a long time before and after Lewis. Yes, he had a nice run there. Yes he’s a respected coach. All true.

I still don’t want him as our next coach.

I think it would be super hard to sell him to a fan base after the Gase debacle.

He is ok. He’s good. He’s meh.

he’s not GREAT.

he coached them for how many years! And not a single playoff win. No thanks

JetsNation06 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Saleh with Mike LaFleur as OC is intriguing.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He would be the perfect CEO head coach, leader, and culture changer that we need.

Looking at his record at Iowa State does NOT tell the story. Not even close.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I have warmed up to this lately too. He’s the perfect CEO type HC that seems to get the most out of his players with little talent. The only negative is that I don’t believe he can bring a true NFL ready coaching staff.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Well that’s not entirely true.. Jon Harbaugh was on the Ravens and Joe was in the building with Ozzie when he hired him and was in the war rooms with him during draft prep. I think there is a good chance JD and Jim Harbaugh have a connection through Jon Harbaugh

19. NCJetsfan

I haven't wanted to consider a DC seriously, but you inspired me to go ahead and listen to the Saleh discussion.

If they are correct, there's a lot I like. I like his passion, his ability to motivate, leadership, his being a strategist/his schematics, creative, and being adaptable.

The things that concern me are if he is "clearly a Defense-first guy" is he really going to be a CEO, and will he want to focus too much on the D? Since he loves figuring out things and designing new wrinkles/plays to h is D, it sounds like he could potentially ignore the offense and be thinking about defense most of the time. It also sounds like that if he got the Jets job there are 3-4 players who have played for him in SF and who will be FAs, that he would want to sign so that he can run the D he wants to run and instill the culture he wants. That could mean instead of building around the QB and signing Joe Thuney and an elite WR, we sign the three FAs they mentioned and maybe an Edge. I would be totally against that.

I don't know much about the 49er-style offense, but I know that Garoppolo is not that good a QB, and I think running the ball is a huge part of the SF offense. Would he be willing to change and adapt to passing more? Would he even want Fields?

Also, they indicated that he possible would want to bring his own GM, and then have a very large voice in personnel? I would be against that, and if what Chris Johnson said the other day about JD is true, then I can't see JD wanting him or Chris Johnsons firing JD, then hiring Saleh and letting HIM bring his GM with him.

I'd definitely prefer him over Martindale and Davis if we go the former DC route. LaFleur does sound interesting as OC, but not if he leaves in a year or two to become a HC somewhere. The rest of the staff sounded pretty good, if that's indeed the way he goes.

I think for the Jets to hire him that they would tell him that JD is our GM and he wouldn't be bringing his own GM with him.

In summation, he sounds like he has some qualities that I definitely hope our new HC has, but the questions are too big, and he's not the right guy for the Jets?

#719 NCJetsfan, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    LAJet likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.