Harbaugh = Instant Credibility

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by KY Jets Fan, Nov 5, 2020.

?

Would you want Harbaugh?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Parcells stayed for three years, but he built a foundation that got us 7 play-off appearances in 14 years
    For some teams, nothing special, but for the Jets it was a golden age

So maybe a 3-5 year stint could be good enough

Borat likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Four 1st rd picks and Laverneus Coles in the 3rd of the 2000 draft didnt hurt. ;)
    Hence why I'm for trading down the #2 if the right offer presents itself.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I would do anything i could to land harbaugh. realize the club will draw the line somewhere but jets need to make a splash.

felt the same way in 96 and hess did the right thing. let's see what the johnsons can do.

realize JH isn't parcells level but the available veteran coach pool is very shallow.

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I said in another thread that I love the idea of pairing either Greg Roman or Jimmy with the following:
    -Trade Sam for at least a 3rd
    -Sign Trubisky
    -Swell at #2
    -Hill at #29

Jimmy & Roman developing BOTH Alex Smith (who was a bust and similar in many ways to Mitchell Trubisky) and Kapernick into top 10 QB's has real appeal to me.
    In his system, it all starts up front with a power run game and utilization of boots and play action off that.
    Mims, Herdon, Griffen, Adams, Ty Johnson, Becton, Swell, Hill would be some nice initial parts in that system.

NFL rumors: Jim Harbaugh’s interest in NY Jets holding up Michigan contract extension - syracuse.com

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I have to wonder if Harbaugh is trying to pull a Kirk Cousins by using the Jets for leverage with MI.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i loved harbaugh at stanford. really really amazing job. i also think that there success may have something to do with the strength coach moreso than harbaugh or shaw, but thats a different topic.

he was really good at sf but his ego and inability to be flexible got him let go. he has been an absolute turd at michigan and i am beyond amazed he has been offered an extension.

i would not like hte hire, he is a guy i could get behind but i would be worried that it would end very poorly.

K'OB likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well. He had no flexibility because Trent Baalke was running that franchise into the ground with his front office decisions and Harbaugh tried to stop it before it inevitably happened. Baalke was fired for taking a SB team and plunged it into four years of losing including a 2-14 campaign because he wanted to hire yes men at the coaching spot.

Harbaugh comes with flaws and worries. But he's still coached good football pretty much everywhere he's been. He can't get Michigan over the hump but it's not like that program isn't significantly better since he's arrived.

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It's overwhelmingly likely that it is indeed the case, but who knows with this guy. JD needs to do his homework and leave no stone, including the one with Jim's name on it, unturned.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have reservations about Harbaugh related to his alleged "personality problems", but I don't know if these are really true. I know that I much prefer a HC that has had previous successful HCing experience and he certainly fulfills that desire. I guess if Douglas likes him and hires him - and he isn't forced upon him by the Clown Brothers - I would assume they can work well together, and in the end that's the most important criteria.

10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

This was written BEFORE his team got even worse this year.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...igan-football-jim-harbaugh-record/3673779001/

Even worse, his only notable success at Michigan came with the leftovers from the previous coach. The more Harbaugh was able to put his stamp on the Wolverines, the worse they've gotten.

11. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

If harbaugh is the guy then we move down or draft Sewell AND trade Sam. Draft a QB and being in a Vet until the you g guy is ready.

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Speaking of, Shaw must really like Stanford. I'm surprised he's not getting the NFL offers. I'd be on board with that

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  13. Snatch Catch

Please hire someone on the rise - someone who you need to forcefully pry away from their current employer, like Joe Douglas - and not someone who's quite literally failing out of their current position.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/football...tball-most-recent-failure-harbaugh-penn-state

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We have to be fair when we do any evaluation. I get that he didn't make Michigan a top tier team, but to say somehow previous coach was responsible for his relative success in Michigan is preposterous. He inherited 5-7 team from old coach, and had 49-22 record, while clearly improving the program from 7 years prior under two different head coaches. He did not make Michigan top tier team, which can compete for title, but he did improve it into a respectable team, which is ranked almost every year, unlike under previous two coaches. I think a fair assessment in Michigan would be good/solid, but not great. That alone would not warrant NFL coaching considerations, but also certainly would not disqualify him, given previous accomplishments in NFL itself and other College programs.

Jim checks several boxes. If you look at his winning %, it's really good and remarkably similar in both NFL and NCAA: 69%. Johnson also wants someone who would be a true HC, not one side of the ball. which Jim is. We will (hopefully) have a young QB in Fields to groom, and Jim was a QB himself and a QB coach in NFL, and interestingly enough coached against Fields. He is a unique blend of someone who succeeded as a HC in both NFL and NCAA, while also having great QB background. Now, there are more successful NCAA coaches, but these do not have much of NFL experience, much less SB appearance and NFL coach of the year honors.

Whether you think he could have done more with Michigan, in aggregate Jim is extremely successful individual, who seems to bring a lot of great things to the table that this team needs.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’d take this sociopath in a heartbeat.

RochesterJet and stinkyB like this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wut? I am thinking there is more of a chance we get Fields, who torched him for 56 points, hence the interest in Jets. He is a former QB himself, why would his hire mean we get Sewell? The guy cannot be so excited about the Jets position, because he feels we can upgrade Fant with Sewell. Usually people are excited when there is a good QB they can work with.

He is literally holding off extension, which was offered. That is not under dispute. Yes, likely negotiating ploy, but if we do end up hiring him, we are doing PRECICELY what you are asking for. And no, the article you posted where some writer doesn't like him does not change this fact.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's my major issue with him. He is a very good coach, or at least was in San Fran. I could deal with the asshole part. I really think the Jets need stability with their HC position. We need to hire someone who can build a winner and the right culture, but then be here at least for 10 years. I just don't see Harbaugh doing that, although he's been at Michigan for 7 years, so maybe he's growing up a little bit. If he'll sign a long term contract with the stipulation that if he bails after anything less that 7 years, he will not continue to be paid and won't be able to accept another HC job elsewhere, then I'll be fine with hiring him.

18. Snatch Catch

I guess I just see it differently than you. He wasn't brought in to post the results he has over the last 7 years while earning $7.5M this season. He's lost almost every single big game his teams have played against top competition, getting obliterated on multiple occasions. His winning percentage is puffed up by beating the dregs - he's literally under .500 against any ranked teams - and this season he actually became one of the dregs despite pulling in talented recruiting classes. There's been plenty of talk about him not having control, not having a plan, and generally not being worth the time anymore. I believe it.

At the same time, I believe in Joe Douglas more than anything at this point, so if Joe says he's the guy, I'm in. But until then I just don't see it.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Your point that while he improved Michigan from previous two coaches and made them into a ranked team on annual basis, he did not do with them what he did with San Diego, Stanford, and 49ers, which is to make them top tier programs, is well taken. However, I don't see a perfect candidate out there, who did absolutely stellar with every single program, has NFL experience, experience on both sides of the field, can work with young QBs. Even Brian Daboll, whom I really like, and does check a lot of boxes too, does not have defensive side of the field and HC experience. I would still be happy with either one of them if JD selects them though, but we have to acknowledge the facts.

When it comes to college coaches another guy I keep hearing is Matt Campbell. His record in Iowa State 35-28 is even worse than Jim's at Michigan. Not saying he is not a good coach, but Jim did what Matt did, plus has great NFL record and QB development record. So, no coaching candidate is perfect, but Jim does check more boxes than other NCAA coaches under consideration and has some advantages over NFL coordinators too in the fact he was a successful HC in NFL already as well as NCAA.

20. Snatch Catch

WRT the bolded, Michigan has finished a season as a ranked team in just 4 of Harbaugh's 7 seasons, and - despite an impressive track record upon arrival - the complete inability to develop a stud QB in his time in Ann Arbor has been arguably his single biggest problem.

I totally agree that there isn't a perfect candidate out there. I think we just differ on the weight we personally assign to both Harbaugh's positives and negatives.

If Joe says he's the guy, then I'll accept it with hope and optimism, he's just not the one to me personally.

NCJetsfan likes this.