Official Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ray Lucas, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Our Next Head Coach

Poll closed Nov 5, 2020.
  1. Eric Bieniemy

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Arthur Smith

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Greg Roman

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Jim Harbaugh

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. Joe Brady

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Other (Please Explain)

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Bringing Rex back as DC lol

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I came in here all excited and I saw doom and gloom before my eyes again when I read Brian fucking Schottenheimer

I will be jumping off a bridge with @BroadwaySam if we seriously consider him

BroadwayAaron and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! I'll give him credit for learning/improving as an OC, but no way I'd risk hiring him as the HC.

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If they’re going in the pros direction I’m hoping for Brian Daboll personally ...

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I posted the following in the Darnold-Fields-Wilson-Jones-Trask-Lance thread. I think it is most apropos to post it here as well, and hope that JD has the same philosophy/approach.

There are several key paragraphs on the guy in the video's (Tyler Menting) web site that I think should be shared. Bolding and italics are mine.

While the QB position is becoming more physically demanding, it’s easier than ever to scheme to the QB you have. It’s truly a golden age of QBs. Great athletes, fantastic training from an early age and a ton of offensive models that an OC can use to make their QB’s path to success easier. This doesn’t mean OC’s are going to do it, but the options are there. For a recent example see Tannehill under Mike Sherman, under Bill Lazor, under Adam Gase and under Arthur Smith. When his skills fit the scheme, he succeeded. When he was asked to do what Gase expects or the WCO, he failed. He’s the same QB he’s always been. His game didn’t change last year and being in the right scheme doesn’t make you worth 30 million a year. However, you can’t overestimate how important it is for a limited QB to fit his scheme. Does BB want to chime in?

New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said the team will adapt and gear everything for doing what is best for their new starting QB, whoever that may be. Belichick said that’s what they did previously for Brady and he doesn’t see that changing. “Whoever the QB is, we’ll try to make things work as smoothly and efficiently for that player and take advantage of his strengths and his skills.”

It’s a no brainer. It’s also not as common as you’d think. If you are looking for the next Tannehill, his name is Mitchell Trubisky. Nagy is not altering. Nagy is brilliant but he will not humble his offense to suit Trubisky. Although, he did hire Lazor this offseason. This exists while Daboll has completely catered to Josh Allen. He built an offense so that a QB who can’t read the field can function. (I had Allen in the late 1st where he belonged.) Allen is a one read QB, and with the proper offense it works. Trubisky is also a one read QB, (he is better than Allen and Tannehill) yet he looks terrible in the wrong scheme. Kingsbury is pushing the envelope and without Murray (hyper-mobile) it would be impossible. Baltimore not only took Lamar, but took Brown Hurst and Andrews to set up the template build (dreamed up perfectly) around Lamar that made him earth shatteringly successful last year. The importance of certain traits was shifting 10 years ago. It continues to move away from the past. There are a number of different traits that can be combined to make a successful NFL QB. In some way, in some system. There are QBs failing in the league, who would succeed in their system fit. That means that if you only like QBs of a certain type, you’ll miss a number of success stories. If you think a QB must be able to go through progressions, you’ll be proven wrong. If you think every athletic QB will succeed, you are flatly wrong. It also means you can be right, and watch that player fail in the wrong system. You can be right, and it can still be too early in their development. You must know there are many ways to skin a cat but that doesn’t mean anyone can do it. Translation: Unless you have one of the top dogs in the QB world, you better know how to scheme to/build around your QB. If not, you must pick a QB who fits your scheme. If you don’t, results will be disastrous.
    I don't agree with all his QB evaluations, but what he says here is spot on, imo. We all know that many football coaches have "their system" and that players "have" to fit their system rather than the coach adapting his system to the players on hand (square pegs into round holes). We know that Gase was guilty of that with Sam and this offense. IMO the most important trait or attribute our new HC must have is flexibility. He MUST have a track record of adapting his "system" or using a system that fits the talent of his QB and the players he has on hand rather than some set of "ideal" players. Thus, he puts his players into a position to succeed. IMO that is more important than pedigree, W-L record, how much NFL experience he has, where he has coached, age, being the CEO, or anything else. We cannot afford another HC who will try to force square pegs into round holes and waste our talent and ruin our next QB. Hopefully, our candidates will have all of these positive traits/attributes, but I'm absolutely certain that they must have the desire and track record of adapting systems that fit their players' talents.

To my knowledge there are only a few potential candidates who have shown that the do this. IMO the following coaches should be the prime candidates, and perhaps the only candidates.

Brian Daboll
    Matt Campbell
    Arthur Smith
    Greg Roman

Maybe Pat Fitzgerald and PJ Fleck (I don't know enough about either of them, but think I heard that they adapted their systems to their players.

#285 NCJetsfan, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Get someone who can gain the respect of players, hire a good staff, manage the whole team, be aggressive when necessary, and put players in a position to succeed. I want Campbell, but am open to other options.

7. twown

twown Well-Known Member

"Enough with the brainless Schottenheimer bashing."

("Brainlessly bash OC Brian Schottenheimer.")

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure we are in need of a culture changer. One would be nice but it’s not like this team is full of losers & head cases. I think we need better talent & execution.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I want Wink! Baltimore D has been flat out nasty since he took over in 2018.

10. Play Like A Jet

Please let it be Joe Brady. He spent time in New Orleans with Sean Payton, built the greatest college offense ever, and has given legitimacy to a Panthers offense that was without CMC for most of the year.

Regardless of who is taken at #2, QB development will be a huge priority next year. Joe Brady's the man for the job.

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I guess the New Head Coach thread at 13 pages in size wasn't quite obvious enough huh?

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Or the Joe Douglas HC connections thread the OP started that's on page 2.

13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Lincoln Riley would also be a great option but he just resigned with Oklahoma

14. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Hopefully I spelled it correctly. I say no, as I remember him calling some very unusual plays in obvious play call situations. Unsure if he can run a team. I would prefer is father, Marty.

Huge downgrade as he calls plays for Russell Wilson. Similarly, downgrade Bienemy as Mahomes is a future HOF.

Edit: did not see the other thread. Merge if you wish.

15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Unusual plays is a polite way to put it...

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Get me Fields to pair up with this guy...
    Both have that mamba mindset

All Gas No Shake and sozopol like this.
  18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It gives me a chubby to think of what Bieniemy can do with Fields.

Poeman likes this.
  19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You and me both Falco...they talk about Texans and Atlanta being interested in him. Maybe the Texans are a better team but that ownership definitely has a suspect owner in giving minority coaches chances.

Eric may fall in love with Fields

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Unpopular take... Bieniemy is not going to be a good head coach. I think 90% of what you see in KC is Andy Reid. I think he can run a good offense but so could a bunch of OCs that became bad head coaches. He hasn’t developed anyone, he’s been working with elite talent all over the field. I’m extremely skeptical.

Also he beat women.

Brook! and hobgoblin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.