Ramifications of the Ohio State vs. Clemson game

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BudJet, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Stats and the eye test completely negate this point. And considering Fields has accuracy and can throw the deep ball well, not sure teams will want to try that on Fields for too long.

2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah we are, the wr had to slow down. He should have easily scored on that. Not to mention he should hace recognized it and threw it sooner.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I am saying Zace.

I have checked it out and thats what I am saying, they had the same criticisms for Russell Wilson. Wilson and others...Kyler Murray as well, have shown that to be a misguided criticism and not an indication of a weak arm.

I mean hell, you watch Josh Allen, nobody would say he has a weak arm. But his throwing motion is different when he's launching bombs too.
    -

The game is changing, these QBs are not brought up like the Vinny Testaverdes and Drew Bledsoes of the world where they are taught to keep their feet planted throw the same motion for screen passes or deep balls. Judging them based on that is failing scouts

#183 BrowningNagle, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You are absolutely clueless. Sorry, you just are. Literally nothing you just said is accurate and there’s video to support it.

IIMeanDeanII and Jets4eva9011 like this.
  5. Jets4eva9011

They are not the same type of QB. Fields is a better prospect than Darnold was coming out, also.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but 2017 was a better draft position. They had Patrick Mahomes sitting right there waiting for them, and they screwed the pooch.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Except I'm the one who's been talking about Darnold sticking before it was cool so I'm obviously not.

8. BroadwayAaron

You’re also making claims that video very clearly disputes. It’s like you’re using a calculator to do 2+2 but you’re still convinced it says 5.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To be fair the bulk of this board agreed with many of the points Zace makes a week ago. But one big time game changed their mind. Just like one terrible game made them write Fields off.

One thing is for sure. Crapping the bed in the conference championship against Northwestern, then lighting it up in the CFP against Clemson, is the sort of consistent QB the Jets are used to.

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There's no reason why, with a good draft and sensible FA signings, the Jets can't be competitive next year. I'm willing to be a little lenient if there is a new coach, but waiting for 2025 for this team to be competitive is absolutely unacceptable. Gase, for all his faults, has shown he can win with a full roster at his command. He was 6-2 at the end of last year after Darnold came back, and the Jets have been competitive this year when Darnold, all WR's and RB's have been available.

11. BroadwayAaron

I think people may have agreed that there were some concerns but comparing him to Geno Smith, saying he’s not an NFL QB and saying he has no arm talent is something very few people would have agreed with regardless of the Clemson game.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I love ya Cman, but you're wrong. You don't pass up on a QB like Fields/Lawrence. If you were an NFL GM in need of a QB and passed up on one of those 2 to trade down and take a bunch of positional players, you'd be fired within a year or two, if not immediately, and you should be

It isn't just about numbers. QB is THE most important position and it's the hardest position to get a topnotch prospect. Without a quality QB who is consistent, you aren't winning jack. You may be good enough to sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard most years and be defeated in the 1st round, but you'd never come close to a SB. Trading down would NOT take 3 years off of the rebuild. It would add 3 years at least, probably more, because the better the roster became, the lower the Jets would be picking each season, and the less their chances of getting a good QB.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Jets4eva9011

Exactly.

At the end of the day, either Lawrence (if he actually fell to #2), Fields or Wilson will be the pick. MAYBE the Jets decide to trade back to like 5 if they think they can still nab Fields or Wilson, but that'll be the extent of it.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

They had better arm talent to begin with however. Wilson was ready to ball, he had attributes to an NFL game.

They just aren't comparable. Wilson was always accurate. Nobody ever question the arm of Murray, Mayfield or Wilson actually. Check out their scouting reports. One thing was they could all throw the ball.

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fans forget how bad Miami was just 1 calendar year ago. Now they are in a position to make the playoffs today and win 11 games. The NFL is made for quick turnarounds and quick falls these days. No reason the Jets can't compete for a playoff spot in 2021 and then become a serious contender in 2022. Joe Douglas just needs to hit on a lot of his moves, mostly Head Coach and QB.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

“Wilson was always accurate”

Russell Wilson college completion percentage: 60%

Justin Fields college completion percentage:
    69%

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  17. Jets4eva9011

Ah, Fields IS accurate and can throw the ball. Constantly saying he doesn't won't make it true.

Maybe you're thinking of Kyle Trask when talking about Justin Fields regarding arm strength? Lmaoo. In that case, wrong QB and college.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Smh dude, dont compare Wisconsin to Ohio state, its like apples to oranges.

Seriously it doesnt matter what you think, youll be wrong and i will come back to you in 3 years and I will never stop reminding you. Fields is not an NFL QB.

19. BroadwayAaron

“I don’t like those stats and they directly contradict my opinion so I will claim they mean nothing.”

Jets4eva9011 likes this.
  20. Jets4eva9011

Ah, it all comes back to I'm right and you're not. And if/when Fields does become a franchise QB, me and other posters won't let you live this down either lol.