What a Pathetic QB and Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Dec 27, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Douglas takes Sewell and not a QB, I sure hope that you're right about getting a QB in 2022, because I don't see it.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  2. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I also wonder if there is someone else he likes. Trask for instance could be had with the Seahwaks pick or later.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Who? Not saying you're wrong and things can change quickly in a year (Burrow), but it looks like it's going to be a one QB draft next year in my eyes for Sam Howell from North Carolina at the top. Maybe Spencer Rattler ascends but if he does it'll be a 1-2 punch in the draft.

With our history in quarterbacks from USC I wouldn't touch Slovis with a ten foot pole. That along with the fact that I don't like his play style at all.

Outside of that it's a relatively week QB class next year. I like Hank Bachmeier from Boise State but he's a second or third round prospect I'd think.

4. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

If the team is set up through the draft this year and Sam doesn't succeed then drafting a QB isn't the only option in 2022. We could always bring in a vet. Rivers looks good in Indy, Tannehill is great in Tennessee hell even Brees isn't on the team that drafted him. There could be a FA option next year that breaks loose like Cousins did. Just another option.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, I am not a Darnold fan. But he was drafted by arguably the worst GM in Jets history, who built a garbage roster for Sam, and then handed over to arguably the worst coach in Jets history, that it is simply impossible to evaluate Sam. He might be as bad as he has looked, and if that’s the case he isn’t pulling us out of the doldrums no matter how good the team around him becomes, so I’m not too concerned that he will play just good enough to keep us from getting a QB a year later.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I have no idea who the QB’s will be next year; I’m not that type of student of the college football landscape. I’m just saying QB’s rated the same as Fields or Wilson will be there.

7. NCJetsfan

LOL Freaking Tom Brady!

8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I think some are missing the point. Joe Douglas is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. He is going to dig into the trenches. Offensive and defensive lines are his priority. He is working on both as we saw yesterday. The next priority is an edge rusher. He is willing to go down in the draft as far as he needs and still get the guy he wants. With that he will acquire many additional picks to add receivers, linebackers and corners. Sam is the perfect QB for him. He doesn't want to throw the ball all over the place like Kansas City so don't expect a new coach known for a high power offense.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is NOT what I want, but I do think you're right.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

As long as he doesn't start investing high level assets into run stopping linebackers and hard hitting safeties and hogs who can't pass block then I'm fine with it. Hopefully Douglas isn't anything but a balance kind of guy and I believe he does recognize the need for the franchise to invest in skill players (receiver in the second, runningback in the fourth).

That's usually where the best value lies at the skill positions too (second through early fourth).

This team should draft and assemble a roster as the 49ers have. That's what I'm hoping for.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

That model might work if this was 2000. In 2020, you need to score to win.

REVISion likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, I really think if you look at the franchises he's worked with you'll see the "blueprint" he's using, although putting his own stamp on it. It's based on great line play, strong defense, very good skill position players, and a QB who might not be flashy but can get the job done. I think the idea of minimizing the amount of reliance on the QB - keeping in mind that this IS the most impactful player on the team - enables the consistently good teams like the Ravens, (and even the Steelers who have had to do without Big Ben at times), to win even when the QB doesn't play well or gets hurt.

This is NOT my preference. I'd love to have a team with great future HOFer at QB with dynamic weapons and just outscore the other team - basically exactly like the Chiefs - but what I want even more is to see the Jets become perennial contenders, and if Douglas's way delivers that I'm good.

13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

[
    Actually 2000 model is what is needed to beat KC
    A good defense and a ball control offense that keep their offense off the field.

papapump, apjbfc, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  14. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post earlier.

On this one. It could be the how do you win when you don't have a franchise QB. We have to start trying to win no matter whos under centre, and that's one way to build a team who doesn't have a carry the load QB.

I don't think franchises stop search for franchise QBs. Flacco won a superbowl and the ravens always were built to win.

Bears and eagles both drafted high QBs. Although their not great picks now.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's nice to imagine a scenario where we don't need a QB to win but I think the stark reality is that it's VERY tough to do so. The 49ers are a great recent example of this. Tons of talent everywhere, great coaching staff and still couldn't quite make it all the way because they were so outgunned at QB. They did just about everything right as an organization and it still wasn't enough because they don't trust Jimmy G to throw downfield.

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

That's true, and I agree that the the odds of winning it ALL are tough if you don't have a damn good QB, BUT...it's not terrible to have your team winning and contending while you're looking for that QB. Sure, the sooner the Jets get him the better, but short of Lawrence (and even he is not guaranteed), who is a slam dunk this draft? I like Wilson a lot, and Fields might be good or he might just be another overhyped OSU QB. As to the rest, none are Day 1 starting material, and so for now, sticking with Darnold who has some actual pro experience and is familiar with NY and the media and giving him a competent CS and better weapons seems like the best way forwrd for now. Re-evaluate after next season.

REVISion likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Exactly! It's simply amazing how so many posters are ignorant of the basic facts that QB is the most important position; that one's chances of getting to, much less winning, a SB are greatly diminished without a FQB; and they want to cite anomalys and exceptions to the "rule" as the rule itself.

REVISion likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

let me as you this. whats the harm? if darnold sucks it up we can get a QB in 2022. fields/wilson what if they become RG3/josh rosen and we trade away sam and he's sucessful elsewhere. fins fans wanted tannehil gone. now tannehil is a pro bowl QB and tua looks not good at all. If JD feels sam is better then fields and wilson why replace him when we can slide down for more picks to build an actual team. no good QB wins with a shit team around him anyway. start over with a new QB and we won't be much better next year. herbert is playing great and his team sucks, so was burrow before the injury and his team sucked. it takes more then just a QB. sanchez was the worst starter in the NFL and we made 2 AFC championship games with him. Darnold has 1 year left on his rookie deal. why not see it out with a new coach and a good team around him if JD feels fields/wilson aren't that guy. Cincy is likely looking to trade up and get sewell. he's gonna be a hot commodity at #2 with cincy, mia, and possibly ATL, philly, and dallas all looking to fix their o-lines

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Reading this knowing everything we do now is quite a trip. Thanks for posting.

20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Do you watch football, like at all?

The Chargers are a good special teams unit away from being a playoff team. I guess having one solid and one elite pass rusher + weapons on offense the Jets would kill to have means the team sucks.