The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am not saying I would do it but you wouldn’t take Stafford, Flynn, or DeShawn Watson if the right deal?

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Stafford would be Boomer redux. I can’t see the Texans trading Watson ....

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, you make good points. It is going to be a tough decision for Joe Douglas.

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It’s incredibly though. You also look at Wentz and Goff and you ask yourself would they make us that much better? Doubtful. QB is extremely hard. We just need to figure out if Wilson has Mahomes like potential. I do think a slightly mobile QB will help more. I just fear what the dolphins are doing. Building a excellent team around an average QB in Tua. Wouldn’t surprise me if they went after Chase, Sewell, D Smith, Etienne, Najee etc.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it has been said after yesterday's game, but Berrios needs to remain on this team.

I have loved his play since his Miami days and he really can be useful for this offense in years to come.

LAJet, Aero and The Dark Knight like this.
  6. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Just don’t expect him to make any contested catches though. He has 3 dropped TDs already this year.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I don’t think it’s really a tough decision. Based on three years of below average play from Darnold, keeping him at this point would be purely an emotional decision. I can’t see Joe Douglas pin his career on keeping Darnold and passing on Wilson or Fields. Keeping Darnold not only requires taking up his option, it would very likely put off coaching candidates who would rather not have to work with a broken QB.

I bought a Darnold shirt and really thought we had our QB1. Unfortunately we’ve just not seen enough from Sam and it’s time to move on. We’ve still got enough picks and cap space to draft a QB at 2 and add plenty of talent and I think it’s a straightforward decision.

Hopefully Sam, who seems like a nice kid and has been let down by Gase and co, goes on to make the most of his talent elsewhere.

8. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I disagree. He brings nothing that's not replicable to the table.

REVISion and jets_fan like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's a good #4 to have on the roster and a pretty good kick returner. He should remain on the team for sure.

Nothing spectacular but he's an NFL receiver. We haven't had a ton of those in depth positions over the past decade.

I'd rather have him than David Nelson, Clyde Gates, David Clowney, Chris Owusu, Greg Salas, etc.

10. Bumrush99

Bumrush99 Member

The Dolphins are a pretty good example of what the blueprint for you guys should look like.

First, hire a coach that will work in tandem with the GM. Miami decided to keep Grier and he is likely going to be executive of the year, in part to Flores coaching up, teaching and USING the young talent. Miami churned the entire roster and is currently starting 3 rookie OL, a rookie QB, rookie DL, rookie CB, 3 low round / UDFA RB's combined with strategic offseason FA additions like Lawson, Ogbah and Byron Jones. Miami has twenty rookies/2nd year players contributing weekly.

The hard part will be finding a competent coach. After decades of ineptitude Miami hit a home run with a guy that will finish top 2 in COY voting.

The Dolphins have created a blueprint- Youngest team in the league stacked with draft picks. If Houston loses, Miami will likely pick 3. The Jamal Adams trade may not yield that type of high first round pick but it was a homerun of a trade, like the Tunsil trade.

Things are looking up if you hit on a coach that is fully aligned with the GM.

Miami had a three year plan and is ahead by 2 years. The Jets could be on the same trajectory. Just find the right guy. Don't break the bank for a has been like Harbaugh. Things could get ugly fast if they are looking for the big name.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Just find the right guy he says...

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  12. Falco21

This can be said for every non pro bowl receiver in the league lol

13. Falco21

He's young. This was only his second year and both years have been in a mess of a situation in New York. With better coaching and a solid program, he can be a Amendola/Edelman type

14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Atlanta, Carolina and Detroit will be climbing over each other to get the #2 pick. A chance for the Jets to get multiple players and full plenty of needs. Go for it JD.

azhar80, Jets79 and James Hasty like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd listen to ATL is they included Matt Ryan in the deal. Having Darnold learn from Matty Ice just might revive his NFL career. That he still needs a mentor after 3 years isn't the best situation, but sometimes you can make the best of a bad situation.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m not a huge fan of Matt Ryan....I think he’s a bit overrated

but still, even at his age, he’s better than anything we have, and I’m not sold on either Fields or Wilson as being any better than Sam, so this is not the worst possible outcome

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, you make good points, but it is a tough decision. Wilson or Fields could be great, but Sam with Sewell sounds pretty good too.
    Yeah, I like Berrios too. Nothing wrong with having him as the #4 WR.
    This is an interesting idea. Haven't heard it brought up before. Fans keep talking about rookie QB's but JD could go the veteran QB route.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a minor quibble, but he was a Patriot, not a Dolphin, before becoming a Jet. I like him, but have mixed feelings about him. He drops too many passes, yet he makes some big plays. One thing is certain. I don't want him being the PR any more. I'm sick of all the fair catches.

19. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

Do we say that every year? It has not happened yet

20. Falco21

I was talking about him in Miami. He played on the Canes in my hometown