RUMOR: Gase ERA over if they lose Sunday.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 26, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m still trying to process the fact that we hired him in the first place.

Also La Canfora is eternally wrong. It would make sense given the new ruling about interviewing coaches but maybe this is why you don’t let a coach hang around when he should have been fired months ago. Literally nothing good came of it. We didn’t get the first pick, our QB that we might now roll into next year with didn’t get better (again) and you can’t fire him if we are coming off a win which means you’re at the end of the line interviewing coaching candidates.

NCJetsfan, Pepsiguy5 and cmcm750203 like this.
  2. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

This is why I'm wary about the next hire. They need to step the fuck out of the way and let douglas make the call.

NCJetsfan, papapump, donkey and 2 others like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Leaving him in place was the right call in terms of the "tank". The interim coaches this season have done relatively well, and given the job that Gregg Williams did in Cleveland (I think we'd have to assume that he'd have been the guy had they fired Gase prior to the Raiders game), I think we'd have to assume that he would have squeezed one or two wins out of this bunch and ruined the tank before now, although I think Williams would have done better than that and probably would have had us somewhere in the 4-win range and picking worse than second.

Gase should have just never been hired in the first place. He's been incompetent at every stop in his career. It's not a coincidence that the only "success" that he's had came with an all-time great, Hall of Fame QB essentially serving as his own OC.

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  4. cmcm750203

He shoulda been fired Monday. His whole reason for being stopped existing Sunday night.

NCJetsfan and jets_fan like this.
  5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Wow, this could be a throwaway line by Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer but maybe there's more to it ?

"....Gase hired, and supposedly he wasn’t a huge Darnold fan in the draft." o_O

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This has definitely been mentioned before and I wouldn’t be shocked at all. Sam makes plays with his feet extending the play in the backfield. Gase wants someone that takes a few steps back and delivers a 5 yard slant right on the money every single time. And that’s why Darnold is completely ruined.

7. cmcm750203

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. One thing that the last 5 years has shown is that Gase has ZERO eye for talent. I really want to know how he's been hired twice. His personality is awful, he can't spot talent if it's thrown in front of him, his play calling is atrocious. He surrounds himself with shitty coaches because he's insecure. It's insane.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. jets_fan

Might be all the more reason to hang on to Darnold. If Gase doesn't think he's any good, then he must have some talent.

9. jets_fan

Maybe he's gotten some interview tips from Rex Ryan. If Rex could get hired (in a similar fashion to Gase, after being fired by a division rival) by the Bills after that Monday Night debacle against them in Detroit, then anyone can luck their way into a job.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Firing Gase if they lose isn’t stupid.

The NFL changed the rules for the head coaching search; teams are allowed to interview potential head coach’s starting last week. If the Jets lost to the Rams, he would’ve been fired last week. You can’t fire a HC after a win (unless it’s week 17).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I see, JD can provide a strong input to Chris in private, but Chris has to do the firing and decide on the timing. Too late now, agree with that, except to get a leg up on the competition, in which case it shouldn't matter if we win or loose. I wish things were different, where JD was actually in charge, our only hope moving forward if we want to become a professional football organization.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If Gase was not a fan of Darnold. yet Chris and Mac, two accountants in training, went ahead with that horrible hire, it says it all. It solidifies the sheer and utter lack of knowledge by both to make the selection, …..the worst of all times.
    Sam might not be the answer, but Gase did nothing to develop his skill base and play to his strengths. He destroyed his career. He tried to shoe horn his one size fits all game plan to a QB with a significantly different set of skills. Not allowing him to change calls at the line on many situations was right down criminal.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I don't think firing helps lose at all, if anything it may even slightly increase a chance of winning, you never know. The whole point to fire now instead of next week is if they picked a HC candidate they want to talk to, as the window to talk opened 3 days ago.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'll believe it if and when it happens.

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is absolutely spot on. Gase led the team to 1-13 record with the WORST offense in NFL - the only part of the game he actually controls. Yes, we wanted 0-14 for TL's sake, but in terms of incompetence, even broken clock is right twice a day. There was no more incompetent candidate to lead the tank. Maybe it wasn't enough, but he sure kept us in the race for TL, and we may end up as the team with worst record not to get #1 overall. The bottom line is, he certainly was absolutely terrible, and gave us a shot at Trevor, but there just isn't a guarantee I am afraid, no matter how bad the coach is.

17. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I will have to admit....that even the POSSIBILITY that he is retained shocks and scared the bejeebers out of me.....the fact that we have a report which implies that a FINAL DECISION has not yet been made.....are u freakin' kidding me??!!!! How is that even possible!!?? that is like the owner of a team that is 0-15 coming out and saying: "well if we lost this final game to drop to 0-16, then the coach will definitely be fired...HOWEVER if he manages to win the final game and we go 1-15...then I will have some serious thinking to do..." lol....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I just read the same article....Why is it over with a loss lol?We are 1-13...What makes this loss any diffrent then the other 13.

stinkyB and patleahy like this.
  19. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Maybe the Johnson boys just really HATE losing to the Brownies!!!

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL. Nothing but shocking news from the Gase x files. For all we know, Gase does not like any of the QBs in this year draft either.