Edge rusher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wut?, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Is he a day one starter? He’s same size as Ray Lewis. Would he be worthy of a second overall pick?

I would love to have an impact LB that can play inside and outside!

He scores high based on Joe Douglas scoring system.

#21 Red Menace, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If I wanted a defensive player this year, Parsons would be it. He sounds like a great player and a nightmare for opposing teams. I think he could give us everything Jamal gave us and more. They could move him around to keep opposing teams off balance. Since he has speed and range, he could still cover from the edge or rush, and he could blitz from the middle. I think he could make a greater impact on our D than any of the Edges or CBs in this draft.

That said, I think we have to ignore D this year in the draft and really seek to build around whomever will be starting at QB. We need to add skill position players at WR, TE and RB, and we need to continue the OL upgrade/rebuild, especially at OG.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Again I haven't seen him play, but if he's being ranked as a top 5 player in this draft and a blue chip-type player by so many "experts" I feel certain that he would be a day one starter, and play at a high level, and could be worthy of the #2 pick. It sounds as if he could have a huge impact upon any team's D. The problem is that MLB is not really the prime position it used to be in the days of Butkus, Nitschke, Singletary, et al, so it is high to draft a player at an "off" position.

4. Red Menace

The MLB position is not set in stone like the old days. Parsons was moved from a position he excelled at OLB to a new position that he had to learn and became proficient in. He is the type of LB that can be used in different packages, 3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, this guy is an every down LB he is that special.

He scores very high in JDs grading system, core traits are all high, speed, agility, quickness, ability to play in Zone and Man.

#24 Red Menace, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  5. Red Menace

The Jets second round pick is becoming more valuable to other teams as the draft gets closer. There are some solid guys in the top 5, OL, LB, WR, CB that other teams don’t want to lose out on.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Holy Crap! He's better than I envisioned!!! I might have to change my mind about not taking a defensive player. He's a one-man wrecking crew, and looks pretty unblockable. Great speed, solid wrap up tackler. The only thing he looks like he might not have is good hands, as he dropped that interception, but that's not that important at his position. Thanks for posting this. He definitely looks like he could be a great Edge.

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Nice highlites! But I didn't notice a 'C' on the front of his jersey. Are you sure he'd score high in JoeD's system?

Red Menace likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Parsons is fantastic but he has some character concerns that led to Ohio State backing off the recruiting trail of him and reared its head in a hazing scandal that had some pretty gross stuff involved in it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox56....-gives-details-on-alleged-hazing-by-teammates

He's supposedly a huge dickhead. Sometimes that ends when a player matures and leaves college. Sometimes it doesn't. Something interesting to look at though when evaluating him and might be a red flag if he can't fit into a culture.

9. Red Menace

He would score high, remember the high scores are for elite day 1 starters, there are not many of those guys in most drafts.

However a “C” for character would be put next to his score. After what JVilma brought to my attention with regards to the hazing scandal.

We know football doesn’t have a ton of choir boys in it, the question would be will he grow out of that immaturity? Most players do.

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Bud Dupree is one of the most underrated players in the entire nfl. I’d love to get him on this squad and it’s going to be possible as Pitt is in cap hell and Ben is coming back.. likely Dupree and Juju are off their squad next year

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Parsons is going to fall outside the top 10 possibly top 20.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  12. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

like dupree alot but what will be the cost

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

oh yeah. I’m just curious of this recent helium with Neville Hewitt, he’s really come on. CJ is still slated to be here next season. You’d have a bit of a logjam at MLB but again, since Parsons started out as highly recruited edge rusher, he still blitzes VERY well from the MLB spot, so you use him off the edge and drop him back at times and blitz a Hewitt? I don’t think he’d be there with Seattle’s pick, he’s more of a mid 1st rounder. I just love the skill set and potential. I think he’s better and has potential to be a star, moreso then what Simmons is because he has more time at the MLB spot

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

While he can probably do it in spot duty or in blitz heavy packages I don't think Parsons has the length to be a true edge rusher. He'll excel at blitzing for sure and will be a phenomenal off the ball linebacker.

If the character concerns check out I'm never against adding good football players which Parsons is. The question will be if he is that much more highly rated than the other players at bigger positions of need. Do we take him over Fields, Sewell, Smith and Wilson?

Red Menace likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There are only two positions that I would even consider taking ahead of a QB for this team, and that would be if there were "can't miss" likely Pro Bowl caliber players at those positions: OL and Edge, and even then it's not a certainty.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hmm, not so good that.

17. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Seen any comparisions to Bosa or Young ?

18. Jonathan_Vilma

It depends on the draft for me, but this year yes I definitely agree. There's a lot of top end talent on the offensive side of the ball that it'd be a bit irresponsible to not take one of the impact players (even if it's not a QB).

That's part of the problem in trading down. The best value in the trade down is going to be on the edge or maybe receiver (Waddle/Chase) if you're talking about the 6-12 range. Waddle is awesome but is coming off a badly fractured ankle and Chase didn't play for a year.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's an Ohio State edge rusher worth keeping an eye on for the 2022 draft. His name is Zach Harrison.

20. NCJetsfan

No. I don't usually make comparisons of one player to another. That's not my thing. I just focus on what that player does well and what his limitations/flaws are, and don't go looking for comparisons. Just off the top of my head, he's probably not going to look anywhere near as good as Bosa or Young, because they just played Edge and weren't moved inside, and so only blitzed occasionally. I don't think I've seen video of Parsons when he was playing Edge before he was moved to MLB, either, and even if I had, he would have probably been a freshman then, so not as experienced, polished, or developed physically. I don't think he will be the pick or probably should be. I just think that he has a ton of potential and is probably going to make some team's defense much, MUCH better.